homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Musical Problem....

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Musical Problem....
Plcaga
Mini Geek
Member # 5119

Icon 9 posted May 22, 2006 05:10      Profile for Plcaga   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sometimes, after I enter websites, and there's a sound in them, I keep hearing the sound after I shut the window, (lol) so I was wondering, is there a solution to my problem?
Posts: 70 | From: Lyon. France | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 22, 2006 05:47      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not really - it's your brain that keep the short-term memory of the sound activated. All I can suggest is to replace that specific music with something else - listen to music, or try to remember a tune you like. Or you can just do your normal things until it goes away. It's pretty normal, as far as I know.

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Metasquares
Highlie
Member # 4441

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 22, 2006 07:16      Profile for Metasquares   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you mean the computer still plays the music after you close the window or you just can't get it out of your head?
Posts: 664 | From: Morganville, NJ | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Plcaga
Mini Geek
Member # 5119

Icon 1 posted May 22, 2006 07:51      Profile for Plcaga   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the attention.
I meant, after I shut the site's window the computer keeps playing the track.

I liked stereo's reply [Big Grin] ! By the way, Stereo is "smei-right" because it really happens from time to time.

I think each one can help, the level of helpness doesn't really matter.

uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted May 22, 2006 08:02            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...? Which operating system? Which Web browser and which version thereof? Do you know what types of audio this involves?

And more to the point, give us some example URLs where the problem manifests itself?

IP: Logged
Plcaga
Mini Geek
Member # 5119

Icon 12 posted May 23, 2006 05:25      Profile for Plcaga   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will get some sites whice the problem "sounded" ;-).

I have no idea what systems are involved. [Frown]

uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted May 23, 2006 07:49            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh come on, you can't be that stupid...

Mac OS X? (Tiger/Panther/Jaguar/Puma?) Mac OS 9/8.5/...? Windows XP Home/Pro? Windows 2000? Me/98/95? Linux? (Slackware/SuSE/Debian/....?)

Internet Explorer? Firefox? Opera? Safari? iCab? Konqueror? Mozilla?

You must have some sort of clue what you're running.

Jace Raven

Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted May 23, 2006 08:20      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Step 1:
 -

which one of the pretty little pictures did you click on?
--------------------------------------------------

Step 2:
 -
 -  -  -  -
 -  -
Which one of these looks the most familiar?

Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 23, 2006 12:23      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had that happen to me using WinAmp once. I closed the program and the song kept playing. I would have thought I was hallucinating except dman was there to witness it. We even checked the Task Manager to see if there was some sort of background process going on, and nothing came up.

Maybe an exorcist could help.

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted May 23, 2006 13:55            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What, you didn't use Process Explorer? *smack* Bad dragon! ;)

I had a PC today read upwards of 75% CPU usage in the Task Manager tray icon, but close to zero usage in the main processes tab of Task Manager. Retarded program... Downloaded Process Explorer and confirmed my suspicions that deferred procedure calls and interrupts were at work. Doing what exactly, goodness only knows. I think the DVD drive was playing up, strangely enough.

I cannot understand audio playing after the program is closed; the Windows audio buffer is only a fraction of a second. I imagine you just missed something. Especially as Task Manager does not sort programs in order, and then it sorts them in reverse order (!) when you first attempt a sort. It's quite easy to miss stuff in there, but Process Explorer shows program icons and a nice tree view so you can more easily see what's running.

Sound still playing after closing a browser window is a wholly different matter (as the browser could well still be running) and it'd really help to know, of course, details about the browser and the pages.

GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 23, 2006 15:08      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The government has implanted a chip in your head. [evil]
Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 23, 2006 16:49      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
uilleann, this only happened once about three years ago, so it's hardly worth the fuss. The song finished all on its lonesome. IIRC we went through the whole list pretty carefully, and there was nothing else that would play audio open at the time. No web browsers, not even an open net connection (I didn't even bother trying to shit-rig something because I wasn't going to be there long enough to make it worth the effort).

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted May 23, 2006 17:05            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aw, but it's too weird to automatically dismiss -- it defies all standard computer knowledge, if you two didn't miss something really obvious. But not as unbelievably weird as what I just found on the Net, something I'd only show to someone as disturbed as Steen ;)

It's a pity that these things only manifest themselves once, and never when I'm around to examine it :P

Today's one was someone claiming than whenever she connected USB devices to her PC (or disconnect?) the image on the LCD would change colour! So what, we've got USB cabling, or even the device, generating RF interference down the video cable? Turns out it was a dirty VGA connector and she was just knocking the wire when attaching and removing devices. Gave it a good clean and it seems to stay the same colour when I wobble the plug. If you knock the monitor itself, it will lock up and fill the screen with increasinly random patterns, requiring some extremely hefty clouting (WHACK! BASH! WALLOP!) with both hands to get it to start showing a picture again. The plug at the LCD end is not in any way loose, so I have no idea on this one. It's a Sony (ugh) but her old screen allegedly had the same problem and it looked to be a different brand.

As far as your tune not stopping, the problem is, I trust dman's judgement, so I know you're not making this up (most stories like that turn out to be false, although no offence in this case, since it is genuinely weird)... which leaves me very puzzled. I guess Windows could have kept a playback thread running without a visible parent process but that would be mighty peculiar. It's not impossible, but so very odd! Ah, the weird shit computers bring to our lives.

[Edit: The only thing I could think of is that you were playing WMA and thus relying on a service outside of Winamp for the audio, so I acquired a Britney Spears WMA and fed it to Winamp. "Windows Media Services Streamer Dll" is involved, but it's inside of Winamp's process space and of course, Winamp itself is what provides the output handling via one of the output plugins, either waveOut output or DirectSound. The bonus is that I have the Guinness World Record for worst-encoded audio in existence. OK, never mind. Winamp sucketh dick at WMA and went and crashed on me when I tried playing it in WMP6.]

GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted May 23, 2006 18:04      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
uilleann wrote:
But not as unbelievably weird as what I just found on the Net, something I'd only show to someone as disturbed as Steen [Wink]

/me perks up

You could send it in PM, y'know [Smile]

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
GameMaster
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 23, 2006 22:59      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Re the sound question... Is it a PC or MAC?
What is the little picture in the upper right hand corner and on the task bar when you first open the browser?

Easiest solution: unplug your speakers. [Smile]

Today's one was someone claiming than whenever she connected USB devices to her PC (or disconnect?) the image on the LCD would change colour! So what, we've got USB cabling, or even the device, generating RF interference down the video cable? Turns out it was a dirty VGA connector and she was just knocking the wire when attaching and removing devices. Gave it a good clean and it seems to stay the same colour when I wobble the plug. If you knock the monitor itself, it will lock up and fill the screen with increasinly random patterns, requiring some extremely hefty clouting (WHACK! BASH! WALLOP!) with both hands to get it to start showing a picture again. The plug at the LCD end is not in any way loose, so I have no idea on this one. It's a Sony (ugh) but her old screen allegedly had the same problem and it looked to be a different brand.

How is the card seated? Is it onboard video, PCI, PCI II, APG or PCI Express?

--------------------
My Site

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted May 23, 2006 23:07            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nono, you have to hit the monitor. Hit both sides of it with the palms of your hands, as hard as you can muster, repeatedly until the picture starts to come back, bit at a time and eventually it's a clear and moreover, live, image. Probably a dry joint inside the screen somewhere, but that's her trick of fixing it. It's not the plug where the video cable attaches to the screen; I've checked that.

Time she got a new bloody screen.

Plcaga
Mini Geek
Member # 5119

Icon 1 posted May 24, 2006 05:56      Profile for Plcaga   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Windows XP H and IE
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted May 24, 2006 06:37      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Plcaga wrote:
Steen, I wish you'll get burned in Hell.

Since English is a second language to you, let me give you a hand here. That should probably read "Steen, I hope you burn in Hell."

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Jace Raven

Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted May 24, 2006 06:45      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know, it'd be pretty sweet not to get burned in hell. Considering it's supposed to be a firery oblivion, at least the first 5 layers.

If I could just float around in oblivion, that would be pretty awesome too.

GameMaster
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 24, 2006 13:38      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Plcaga:
Windows XP H and IE

There's your problem right there. The solution is obvious... Install Linux.

Seriously, though, does your music player doc in the task bar when it starts playing? What player are you using: Real Player, Windows Media Player or ???

--------------------
My Site

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Luke Skywalker
Assimilated
Member # 3096

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 25, 2006 04:29      Profile for Luke Skywalker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know with my computer (Win XP Pro, and FF), and I use normally WMP, that if Im like playing stuff in WMP, and I go to close it, the program closes, but there is like up to 5 seconds sometiems before the music stops, as the cpu hasnt closed something with it, but the GUI has closed the program screen.

--------------------
Use the Force, Luke.

Posts: 406 | From: The Line Between Time and Space | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture