homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Broken(?) Acer DVD drive

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Broken(?) Acer DVD drive
Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 21, 2006 13:21      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Last weekend I reinstalled Win XP Pro on my old Acer TM 2701 as I was fed up of the sucky pre-installed WIndows with its two FAT32 partitions and inability to stay stable for more than 6 months and preloaded applications and... (/me tails off into a rant)

Anywho, all was well until today, when I tried to use a DVD+RW (revsion is much less painful while watching MST3K at the same time [Wink] ) that had worked in the same DVD-ROM/CD-RW drive many times before... and (as you may well have guessed by now) it didn't work. In a very techincal way of putting it, the drive went "whizz, whizz, whizz" a few times, and then nothing happened.

Looking at the drive's properties in Explorer showed the properties of the last CD that was in that drive (HP drivers for my printer), and other applications like WMP showed it as "No disc in drive". The only thing that seemed to find it was VLC when I specifically went into the drive and played a file, yet the file played in a very jerky fashion and stopped playing altogether after a minute or so. Testing the disc in a few other computers (another Acer TM and a couple of desktops) showed that it was fine.

So, any ideas? I've tried the font of all knowledge, the most unhelpful Acer website, the most unhelpful laptop manual, a random parts guide I found on the internet, everything I can think of. Which means there is probably something very obvious I'm missing. Any ideas?

Posts: 1143 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 21, 2006 14:05      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you could try pulling and cleaning the contacts for the HD and the optical drive. I have had to do that on a few HP 6110's lately. Best I can figure is that the knocking around creates a spotty connection. Barring that. you may be needing some major repair work.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
LinuxPhreak
Geek Apprentice
Member # 5033

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 26, 2006 20:29      Profile for LinuxPhreak   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CommanderShroom:
you could try pulling and cleaning the contacts for the HD and the optical drive. I have had to do that on a few HP 6110's lately. Best I can figure is that the knocking around creates a spotty connection. Barring that. you may be needing some major repair work.

That is very possible. And I have notice that if the lens does need to be cleaned it will play certian disk, but others it just wont play.

I would like to point out that usually the second partition is the partition that stores all of the rescues stuff. And you might need to install speacal drivers so it will play a certian type of disk. And the drivers would be found in that extra partition you now don't have.

--------------------
I am not important. No one is. To be important you need to make history your word must be important. Your inventions must be as equally important.

Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 27, 2006 06:37      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There were three partions - the Acer rescue one, and two standard partions of ~20Gb each, which sucked because I'd run out of space on one and not the other. I doubt the drivers were on the first partition, as I've downloaded all the drivers Acer say I need for the laptop (none of which include a CD driver), and PC Wizard says that the drive is capable of playing just about anything. I'll try cleaning the lens when I can get my hands on a cleaner...
Posts: 1143 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture