homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » compression

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: compression
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 18, 2006 05:25      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hello, i am using dreamweaver to make a website at school with no html now i want to put 4 slide shows in it but they are a few mb in size. so does anyone know any compression programs on the interent so that i can compress these programs at school without having to download stuff.because my harddrive at school is only 85mb in size.

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 18, 2006 05:32      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would respectfully suggest that if your website is too big to place on your hard drive, then expecting people to have the bandwidth to download it is expecting too much.
Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted May 18, 2006 07:04            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What the fuck?! I got an ex-demonstration (i.e. knackered, old thing that had already been sold to someone else and returned as broken) 486 PC in October 1994 with a 250 MB hard drive! If you're seriously using a machine with an 80 MB drive ... Good grief man. What OS are you running on this? Minimalist *NIX?

My previous PC (spring 1994, we had to send that back broken as the printer hardware was fried and printed gibberish) had an 80 MB drive but that was full within a few months.

As for PowerPoint files, have you tried investigating into why they take up several meg? Is it through complex slide backgrounds? Should they be replaced with vector shades (like simple gradients)? Not sure JPEG backgrounds would work -- does PowerPoint embed them as a pure JPEG or does it embed them as a bitmapped image for its own convenience? Can you have external, linked images in PPT files that are not embedded, like you can with Word?

Are you using bitmapped (not vector) diagrams and charts that could be replaced with vector versions?

If you want this to be on the Web as PPT -- that is, Win IE users will get the PPT file inside their browser windows -- you can't compress it externally (like with Zip), but Mac users, and users of alternative Windows browsers, will only see it download to disc anyway. Those without Office won't even be able to open it!

Pure text takes up very little space on disc or in RAM, so a file of several megabytes is either wasted space on PowerPoint's behalf or images that need to be replaced with vectors, small tiles (for tiled slide backgrounds), flat colour (for backgrounds) or removed. You may be able to save a lot of space by using appropriage image formats, such as 4- or 8-bit PNG for diagrams and charts, as long as PowerPoint embeds them.

Try some tricks and see how the file size on disc changes.

You may also want to see if PowerPoint can generate a Web version of a presentation. The HTML will be dire but you can find all the culprits of large file sizes and fix them all, and will also hopefully be relieved of the format bloat of Microsoft file formats.

As for compression: standard lossless compression typically yields only a 50%-60% decrease on average file content (and PPT file will be pretty average, text, images, binary data combined). And given the hassle of having to download and unzip it (and too many people won't even know how) it is not worth it given the fact that the file will still be several meg in size anyway when it's zipped.

IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 18, 2006 09:15      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's a button inside the image format dialogue that allows you to compress an image, or all the images in your document. If you haven't done that already, it could make a bit of a difference. (I'm assuming this is a powerpoint slideshow)

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture