homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Help with a wireless router

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Help with a wireless router
RScottV

SuperFan!
Member # 3540

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 15, 2006 20:21      Profile for RScottV     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi all. I would really appreciate some help with our home wireless network. I have a apple airport extreme base station that is about 3.5 years old. It is connected to a cable modem. It has had the same configuration for several months: closed WEP network. I connect via airport extreme (802.11g), my wife connects with an iBook with an 802.11b airport card. Today, neither of us can get an internet connection. The wireless signal is good, and I can still connect to the router itself and even configure it. It just won't connect to the internet. I know that my modem is fine, I plugged it into my PB to write this note. I have tried resetting/rebooting the base station. I have tried changing the wireless chanel. Still not connecting. Is there an easy way to test whether my Airport basestation is kaput? I guess I am trying to figure out if this is a hardware problem or a software configuration problem. I didn't find much on Google or in the Apple forums, so I am turning to y'all. Thanks!
Posts: 211 | From: Saint Paul, MN | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 16, 2006 01:35      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My experiences with these things have come down to one ace troubleshooting tip.

Power cycle everything. Be patient for things to auto-negotiate what they want. If that doesn't work, repeat 3 times, changing what you switch on first, then check with your ISP that they haven't started filtering MAC addresses, or have other sorts of problems.

Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 16, 2006 02:05      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like littlefish I think the problem is most probably something to do with your ISP and registering or reregistering the MAC address of your Airport with them may well cure it.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
dragon34
Geek
Member # 997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 16, 2006 05:21      Profile for dragon34     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This happened to my dad's base station a couple weeks ago. He hit the little reset button on the back and reconfigured everything and that fixed it. Apparently the settings got corrupted. It took about 2 years for my dads to get flaky, my linksys tended to get freaked out once a month or so (I'm not using it anymore), and I have seen a couple netgears that need to be power cycled at least once a week.
good luck.

Edit: I see you did reset it. hmm.. does your base station have a modem? (to try dialing in to see if it can do routing for that signal) If you go to admin your base station does it seem to be getting an IP address from your ISP? My mom's cable modem only gives an IP address to the first computer it is plugged into after it power cycles, did you verify that it was working by plugging it into your computer and then not power cycle it before reconnecting it to your airport hub?
//out of ideas for the moment

Posts: 146 | From: Central PA | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
RScottV

SuperFan!
Member # 3540

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 16, 2006 07:44      Profile for RScottV     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks to all for your helpful suggestions. This morning, I tried configuring an airport express from my office to act as the wireless router and then I ran into the same problem. It looks like the modem is not giving the airport an IP address. In the past, if I had the airport configuration software open, I would see an IP address assigned, now that field is blank. The odd thing is, that when I connect the cable modem directly to my powerbook with an ethernet cable, I can connect fine. When I get home from work I'll try to power cycle a couple more times and then call comcast (my ISP). Thanks againó you have all been very helpful.
RScottV

SuperFan!
Member # 3540

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 17, 2006 04:23      Profile for RScottV     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Follow up:
Last night I reset the Airport base station and the airport express to factory specs and reconfigured them almost exactly the same as I had them before. Now it is all working again. I don't understand why I had to do everyrthing twice to get it to work! After 3 hours of that I was ready to go back to a wired network. I guess I should consider myself lucky as it was the first real trouble that I have had in the four years that I have been Wi-Fi. Thanks again for your help!

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture