homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Scratched up iPod Nano

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Scratched up iPod Nano
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted May 15, 2006 17:38      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just got a cheap used Nano, and needless to say, it's in fairly awful condition, hence the "cheap" part. No deep gouges or anything like that, but the entire case is pretty much covered with a whole lot of small scratches. What should I use to polish it up? I heard Brasso gives good results, but I'm a bit weary of using metal abrasive on plastic ipod casing.
Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted May 15, 2006 18:09      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Plexiglass polishing compound is probably going to produce better results than a compound meant for metal. CD polishing compounds are basically the same thing as the plexiglass ones, but tend to be more expensive by volume.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
RScottV

SuperFan!
Member # 3540

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 15, 2006 20:04      Profile for RScottV     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have read in a number of places that plain toothpaste works well. I have not tried it myself.
Posts: 211 | From: Saint Paul, MN | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 16, 2006 03:18      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
T-Cut is good, it is a car paintwork restorer/polish and is designed for giving older cars that "showroom shine" and I have used it on a White iBook Lid and while it did not remove all the marks (it is too gentle for the worst ones) that plus a good silicone shine hide the marks pretty well (obviously a Nano is smaller so proportionately the marks will look worse)

Oh and don't get anything in the touch wheel...

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 16, 2006 16:07      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
zesovietrussian_______________________In a plastic case if you had access to the various jewers rouges they would work, also baking soda on a chamis slightly wet and only finger pressure, small circlular motion.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
maybe.logic
Alpha Geek
Member # 5014

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 17, 2006 09:20      Profile for maybe.logic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can buy thoose ipod transparent casings,that make it look new, and are also very thin, so it doesnt feel like the ipod has a casing on it.
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted May 17, 2006 09:48      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On the second thought why the heck am I so worried about it? It's a $80 beater for the gym, I have a full-size iPod Video to keep clean and spotless and worry about every single scratch I see on it. Thanks for all those suggestions though, I suppose I'll give the baking soda approach a shot, just to see if it works. If it does, it'll be intersting to see how long it takes to get back to the original scratched up state - bet it wouldn't be more than a couple days [Smile]
canadiangeek
Geek
Member # 4946

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 17, 2006 10:43      Profile for canadiangeek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
if you purchase a silicone skin for it, you won't see any of the scratches anyway.

--------------------
-whenever you build something that's idiotproof, someone comes out with a better idiot-

Posts: 161 | From: Nova Scotia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted May 17, 2006 22:48      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Got a can of Brasso and some polishing cloth, now my $80 scratched up Nano looks just like a $200 brand new Nano [Big Grin]

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture