homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » internet connection

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: internet connection
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 11, 2006 12:10      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, I have a dial up internet connection i used to be able to get 45 kbps now i am only getting 36 due to i believe because my neighbour got internet and my brother uses the same line as i do now. Now my question is there any way to speed up my dial up internet connection at least back up to 45 or speed up my downloading connection. I got some advice previously about checking of specific boxes in the internet properties menu but i tried that and it did nothing and after i reformated my pc again its back to the default. So does anyone have any advice for a pour soul with dial up.

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 11, 2006 12:44      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yea, get highspeed.

And if you can't get it where you live, move.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 11, 2006 14:40      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lol yeah good advice, now i only need to live with dial-up for another two years i'm just wondering if there is anyway i can make my dial up faster?

--------------------

uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted May 11, 2006 14:59            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is your brother doing, exactly? Sharing the connection via a router/Windows connection sharing? And where are you getting the speed you quote, from? You're referring to the basic speed reported by the PPP/SLIP software on connection?

The speed depends more on line quality than anything, I think; do you get crosstalk on telephone cables? I suppose it's possible that you could be getting that. Do they keep geek hours, like, using the Net at 5 am? (And if not, does your connection speed depend on whether they're likely to be using it at the same time?)

I'm not sure how your brother's activities affect the optimum speed that you can connect down the telephone line!

IP: Logged
Jace Raven

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted May 11, 2006 16:04      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Edit: Dont post before reading the initial post.
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 11, 2006 16:06      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
now we only have one phone connection upstairs in our house so whenever my borther needs to go on the internet he needs to unplug my phone line and plug his in. And by internet connection speed i mean the little pop up when you connect to the itnernet saying your speed. Now does anyone know a way to get a higher internet connection without getting high speed (i live in the country [Frown] ? my dial up is bettween 35 and 45 kbps (its been down to 35 for the last few months and i am wondering if i can get it back uyp to 45)

--------------------

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 11, 2006 16:36      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
stevenback7____________________Dial up speeds are determined by a host of things, line noise, line length, and is it over head or buried. When you first dial in, your modem and the one at the ISP start handshaking until they both agree on the fastest no error speed. Since you and your brother are basically not on line together that is not the problem unless the phone line is running parallel with some power cords now.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 11, 2006 17:33      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think you guys misunderstood my question. Just forget my whole brother thing and everything. I would just like to know is there anyway to get a faster connection? i've read somewhere that in the internet properities if u enable some stuff it supposidle speeds up your conection.

--------------------

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 12, 2006 10:19      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
stevenback7__________________________You are now discussing two different things, connection speed is modem to modem, throughput you can change settings, mainly the size of the packet that moves through before error check. I used to notice that on hot summer days high solar heating, that the connect speeds to the ISP went down cloudy days it went up. could it be related to solar radiation, I do not know. The friends of mine that have made those changes were all on cable.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 12, 2006 12:19      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just thinking - check your computer for spyware. As they use bandwidth, they could make you feel the connection is slower, even though the same amount of data is sent - it's just that rogue packets are slowing the arrival of proper ones.

Anyway, it never hurts to check and clean up mal/spy-ware and virii.

Other than that, your connection slowing could also be caused by your Internet Provider supporting a heavier than usual load. In that case, there's nothing you can do, except changing your IP or getting broadband.

But to speed up your access, you could block images and multimedia content. Text is small data-wise, so your pages will show up much faster.

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 12, 2006 12:27      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
okay thanks for the advice. I can't wait till i am able to get high speed. At least my school has high speed or i don't know what i would do.

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture