homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Anyone read latin?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Anyone read latin?
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 09, 2006 17:27      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like an odd request, but I would like to know what this tattoo reads. It is the latin tatto in this gallery. http://www.albannachonline.com/content/photos/album3.htm

Thanks

Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
HalfVast

Member # 3187

Icon 1 posted May 09, 2006 17:52      Profile for HalfVast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Declaration of Arbroath. Second sentence, sixth paragraph.

The english:

"It is in truth not for glory, nor riches,
nor honours that we are fighting,
but for freedom -- for that alone,
which no honest man gives up but
with life itself."

EDIT: Oh yeah, the english link.

Uh oh, 400th post. Better get out more...

Posts: 795 | From: In the mitten around the abductor pollicis brevis. | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 09, 2006 22:10      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks to Woodwiz at FiddleForum:
quote:
Yet if he should give up what he has begun, and agree to make us or our kingdom subject to the King of England or the English, we should exert ourselves at once to drive him out as our enemy and a subverter of his own rights and ours, and make some other man who was well able to defend us our King; for, as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom -- for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.
EDIT: Oh, oops. HV posted the English already. [shake head]

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
skylar
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 10, 2006 02:49      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dammit, the one time I click on a thread, thinking I might be able to offer something useful in this place, and someone beats me to it! [weep] [Wink]

--------------------
"arm, aber geeky"

Posts: 1994 | From: Deutschland | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
HalfVast

Member # 3187

Icon 1 posted May 10, 2006 10:40      Profile for HalfVast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry Skylie! Next time I'll wait a couple of hours before I go all post-crazy. [Big Grin]

Actually the problem and the text were so intriguing
I just went sort of google mad.

Posts: 795 | From: In the mitten around the abductor pollicis brevis. | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
skylar
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted May 10, 2006 11:08      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, s'alright HV... I'll let you off the hook this one time [Wink] .

Actually, if I'd gotten there first, I probably would have googled it, too [Big Grin] .

--------------------
"arm, aber geeky"

Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 10, 2006 12:19      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you!!!!! I was driving me nuts. Since they are madly Scots national, I figured it was an up yours England quote, but not quite what. [Smile] Now I'll hunt for something on Arbroath.
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted May 10, 2006 13:40      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aditu - Thank you! [Smile]

Although I am not overly taken with the tattoo itself...the band is fantastic. [Big Grin]

I like the pipes.. [Beard of Peter Gabriel!]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 10, 2006 16:38      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by skylar:
Ah, s'alright HV... I'll let you off the hook this one time [Wink] .

Actually, if I'd gotten there first, I probably would have googled it, too [Big Grin] .

/me feeds sky's habit... only if you're adequately bored, anyway. [Razz]

From an old copy of DDJ that I just got around to:
[I should] cocoa. Illiud Latine dici non potest.

(I assume the first is 'concur.')

This came after a small bit on comments in the Emacs source, which were (once) written in Latin.

They read:
3/6/78 inceptus Luna meo adjutorio.
4/19/78 duas fenestras feci.
5/30/78 ^V creavi.
5/18/78 signum linearum elongatarum, ^0^L, &c

(I'm sure the latter can be Googled, but at the moment, I think I'm going to head out and code awhile. Aside: Man...it's tricky writing stuff that's not in a language you're not used to.)

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 11, 2006 01:28      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And if you are really bored, you can have a go at my old schools motto:

MISERICORDIAS DOMINI IN AETERNUM CANTABO

Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
skylar
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 11, 2006 06:00      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's going to look really bad if I get these wrong, isn't it? [Wink] ... I just found out I was accepted onto the MA in Classics here at Bristol this morning... hopefully the Graduate Studies Officer won't stumble across this page, or she might think of retracting her offer. [Razz]

Without further ado:

quoting dman:
illiud Latine dici non potest.
"It is not possible to say that in Latin." [Razz]

inceptus Luna meo adjutorio.
As far as I can make out, this means, "The moon has been undertaken with my help." Though it seems to make no sense whatsoever...

duas fenestras feci.
"I have made two windows."

creavi.
"I did (it)."

signum linearum elongatarum...
"The sign of a line that has departed or withdrawn." Another one that makes no sense, because the casing is wrong, and it seems to be missing a word... *shrug*...

and

quoting littlefish:
"I will sing of the merciful nature of the Lord for eternity."

Wow... how... educational [Razz] . Mind you, my school motto was "Hoc Age" which means, "Do This." Um, do what, exactly?

--------------------
"arm, aber geeky"

Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 11, 2006 06:28      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Grummach, mostly it is a librarian's puzzle sense kicking in about the tattoo. The band was great!!!!
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 11, 2006 07:49      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by skylar:

Wow... how... educational [Razz] . Mind you, my school motto was "Hoc Age" which means, "Do This." Um, do what, exactly?

I'll bet you they just thought it sounded cool, and didn't care or even remotely understand what it meant.
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
SilverBlade
Alpha Geek
Member # 3541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 11, 2006 08:13      Profile for SilverBlade   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The college which I am currently in has the motto, "Respice Finem" which apparently means "look to the end". I don't think that's a particularly bright and sunny motto to stand next to, but better than yours skylar!

--------------------
http://www.silver-blade.net

Posts: 303 | From: Hong Kong | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 7 posted May 11, 2006 08:35            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Skylar: You remember me asking you for the Latin for "born to fly", for Adam's tattoo? The final concensus -- from some staff at his university -- was "Natus ad volandum". Sounds reasonable enough...

Unfortunately, the bloke in the tattoo shop didn't get it and misspelt "volandum" as "voandum". Adam didn't notice; he showed me a photo of the tattoo and I just thought, "D'oh!" So now he has a spelling mistake permanently drawn into his arm.

I guess the up side is that no-one else is going to realise that it's spelt wrong. There are probably lessons in that for everyone...

IP: Logged
skylar
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 12, 2006 03:01      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quoting DNM:
I'll bet you they just thought it sounded cool, and didn't care or even remotely understand what it meant.
Oh, yeah, absolutely. "quidquid Latine dictum sit altum viditur." [Wink]

quoting SilverBlade:
The college which I am currently in has the motto, "Respice Finem" which apparently means "look to the end".
Not exactly the most inspiring thing to hear! They would have done well with my favourite Latin quote ever, "per ardua ad astra," which means "hard and high to the stars"... ends up implying the same thing, but sounds way cooler [Big Grin]

quoting uilleann:
the bloke in the tattoo shop didn't get it and misspelt "volandum" as "voandum"
Apparently, the 'v' of "voandum" could be rendered as a 'b', which would be a part of the verb "boare", which means "to roar or bellow". So Adam's tattoo means "born to roar" now... not sure how he'd respond to that one [Wink] .

--------------------
"arm, aber geeky"

littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 12, 2006 03:23      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quoting littlefish:
"I will sing of the merciful nature of the Lord for eternity."

I actually (coincidentally) got an old school newsletter in the post yesterday. They are 750 yrs old and are having lots of celebrations. FWIW, the quote is from one of the psalms.
link

Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 12, 2006 05:03      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, but Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted May 12, 2006 13:51      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
Ah, but Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Don't know...I've never seen a Woodchuck... [Wink]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 12, 2006 20:49      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
veni, vedi, VISA.

I came, I saw, I'm broke.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 13, 2006 09:16      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All I remember from Latin class is

Latin is a dead language
As dead as it can be
Once it killed the Romans
Now it's killing me

It is hard to take Latin around here as they can't get Latin teachers.

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 13, 2006 12:28      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aditu:
It is hard to take Latin around here as they can't get Latin teachers.

Why don't they send off to Latvia for some ?
</gwb>

quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:
veni, vedi, VISA.
I came, I saw, I'm broke.

I prefer
Vidi Vici Veni
( I saw, I conquered, I came ) [evil]

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture