homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » What does the Japanese digital camera say?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What does the Japanese digital camera say?
CoffeeSmack
Mini Geek
Member # 3937

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 04, 2006 22:44      Profile for CoffeeSmack         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, not exactly a geek question... But anyway, I'm trying to figure out what the Japanese woman says in the new Apple commercial discussing networks - the one who is supposed to be a digital camera.

She greets the Mac and then takes out the photo and says, well, something. I know a few Japanese words and phrases, and I think she says something about the PC. But I'm not sure. Does anybody know?

Posts: 62 | From: Mount Joy, PA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 04, 2006 22:54      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read elsewhere that the camera girl says "Who is this? He looks like an otaku, doesn't he?" (otaku = geek, fanboy, etc.).

but we need Danapoppa to let us know for sure. [Smile]

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 05, 2006 09:09      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All your base are belong to us? [Wink]
Posts: 5844 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 3 posted May 05, 2006 13:46            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dunno if y'all have seen this, but:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/
Zero_Wing_(translations)

That page shows what they really saying.

(Join the two lines together in a text editor first, I can't post it because the URL is not up to UBB-Nazi "standards", even in a URL tag and with the parens escaped as %nn codes)

IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 05, 2006 15:17      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BTW, I was talking to a coworker about this - I think the claims of that ad are BS. The compatibility comes in the fact that nearly all cameras support USB Mass Storage Device profiles, and/or card readers that do the same (which means they work equally well on Mac, Linux, and Windows). IMHO, it is more likely that the greatest number of cameras is supported by Windows, even if it is a major PITA to interface with them. Almost every device on the market comes with Windows software, horrible kludges though they may be - and a select few probably can only be accessed via that software.

Apple's only solid claim is that it comes with an easy way to quickly transfer/organize pictures, and I'm sure they do reign champ on DV video via Firewire. Mind you, I think iPhoto is a worthless piece of software, but that's just me, I'm sure.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted May 05, 2006 15:37            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://rixstep.com/2/20060503,01.shtml

RixStep's take on the matter. The bloke makes me look positively cheery! The up side for some of you folk is that he likes Linux, so that's OK. I just wish he'd quit bashing HFS+ as it's a lovely file system. Trying to run UNIX on it is daft, of course (as it does not and can not support hard links), but I am nevertheless amazed at how well it's held out, owing to a surprising amount of futureproof extensibility incorporated into it by Apple.

CoffeeSmack
Mini Geek
Member # 3937

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 05, 2006 16:52      Profile for CoffeeSmack         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry, uilleann, I mustn't have gotten to the link early enough because any mention of the ads seems to be gone...

I hear her say the word "baka" which means "stupid." But to refer to somebody in Japanese using baka is pretty harsh, so I'd imagine it's combined with another word to make it mean foolish. Then again, what do I know?

Posts: 62 | From: Mount Joy, PA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted May 06, 2006 03:38            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Huh? He mentions three of them (English ones) as complete transcripts... It was more in reference to dman's views on the adverts in general of course. Besides, I thought dman was the Japanese speaker around here? [Smile]
ASM65816
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 712

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 07, 2006 10:36      Profile for ASM65816   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I hear her say the word "baka" which means "stupid."
No. "...boku..." (two syllables) have nothing to do with the word "baka". She could be mentioning the name of a place, but I can't tell...... [ohwell]

Hajimemashite: means "How do you do?"

yoroshiku: usually "Hajimemashite, (my name is___). Dozo yoroshiku." (literally) "Please favor me."

onegaishimasu: A polite form of "Please" (Note: "___ o kudasai" is "Please" when asking for an object.)

Sentences ending with "ne": Indicates a casual conversation; rough translation: "....... Isn't it? (rhetorical)"

She's being cute and casual. The "Mac" is being respectful, polite, and friendly.

--------------------
Once a proud programmer of Apple II's, he now spends his days and nights in cheap dives fraternizing with exotic dancers....

Posts: 1035 | From: Third rock from sun. | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Danapoppa
Geek
Member # 1555

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 08, 2006 07:23      Profile for Danapoppa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's the translation (starting from the bit where Miss Camera shows up):

quote:
Mac: Hajimemashite! (How do you do?)

Cam: Hajimemashite! (How do you do?)

Mac: Yoroshiku onegai shimasu! (Pleased to meet you!)

PC: Wait wait wait. You speak her language?

Mac: Oh yeah, absolutely! Everything just kinda works with a Mac.

Mac (to Cam): Aa, arigato! (Ah! Thanks!)

Cam: Ne ne ne. Dare (garbled) otaku-poku-nai?

This last line seems to contain a splice, leading me to believe the exchange was originally a bit longer.

I'd guess it was something like this:

quote:
Cam: Ne ne ne. Dare ano hito? (Hey hey hey! Who's that guy?)

Mac: (Amusing explanation of PC.)

Cam: So, otaku-ppoku-nai? (I see. Doesn't he seem a bit of a nerd?)

I can just barely hear what sounds like a "so" between the "dare" and the "otaku".

ASM, the word wasn't "boku" but "-ppoku," the adverbial form of the suffix "-ppoi" meaning "-seeming."

Snaggy, the word "otaku" is often used to mean "geek" or "fanboy" as you suggest, but in this case she seems to mean "geek" in a purely negative manner, so "nerd" fits best.

So ... anyone care to Mad Lib how the Mac described the PC? [Big Grin]

Posts: 237 | From: South of Mt. Fuji | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted May 08, 2006 11:06      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mad Lib? I'll give it a try:

"He's a PC. He's fine, really. Just a bit slow at learning new cool tricks."

(Well, what would you expect? The Mac guy has to be nice with PC/business guys. The "Lemming" experience was a hard-learned one.)

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 12 posted May 08, 2006 16:06            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
pssshh... what's wrong with being a nerd, damn it? [Razz]
Danapoppa
Geek
Member # 1555

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 09, 2006 06:58      Profile for Danapoppa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was thinking something more along the lines of:

"Oh him? Just a PC I know ... and I'm only holding his hand because the director told me to." [crazy]

kalavinka
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 5170

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted May 21, 2006 00:15      Profile for kalavinka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At first I thought the Japanese camera lady was saying the PC guy is fat, but the second time I saw the commercial, I realized I was wrong but I couldn't figure out what she was actually saying. I am half-Japanese and have lived there, can speak it, you get the idea. When the lady talks to the Mac character about the PC character, it's a little joke observation and the Mac agrees, hence they laugh. But I miss the joke.

Lady: Ne ne ne. Talento XXX-poku nai?

"Ne" being something like "hey", a way to get attention in a "listen to me" fashion.
"Talento" being talent, or actor/actress.
"-poku" makes a word an adjective so it's akin to "-ish".
"nai?" would be posing the question.

Hence I take it as:
Lady: Hey, isn't the actor XXX-ish?

Reading the board, I have tried to hear it as "otaku-poku" and I barely hear it that way but I can't think of any other possibility. My problem is, I don't know any Japanese who actually say "otaku". I think 20 years ago there was a comic magazine called Otaku but other than small incidents like that, I think it's really become a word Westerners with a Japanese fetish use.

Danapoppa
Geek
Member # 1555

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 28, 2006 02:51      Profile for Danapoppa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry, kalavinka, I don't hear the word "talento" there at all. (And it wouldn't make sense anyhow; she wouldn't refer to him as a "talento" because he's a PC in the commercial.)

The word she says is quite clearly "otaku" and I do hear this word a lot from Japanese speakers. Japanese girls in particular seem to enjoy using it to describe geeky boys, just as is done in this commercial.

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture