homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Graduation speeches

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Graduation speeches
supergoo

SuperFan!
Member # 2280

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 27, 2006 18:36      Profile for supergoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe I should've done this as a friday five? But I'll leave dnm and Aditu up to the FF-making.

What are some good speeches that you have heard at graduation/convocation events? Were there any topics that were very timely or very eloquently expressed?

Just wondering.

--------------------
Y los sueños, sueños son.

Posts: 675 | From: Boston 'burbs | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 27, 2006 19:05      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Every single graduation speech I've ever seen contained some allusion to this being the 'beginning' and not the 'end', and had 'we did it!' in it.

I know, I'm useless.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 27, 2006 21:09      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, goo, are we talkin' Valedictory Address here?

Congratulations!

Keep it short. Say some positive things. We all need encouragement, including educators and parents. Thanking them (sincerely, not gushingly) is always cool.

Be genuine, be yourself. Your classmates and teachers and family know who you are. Your speech should merely reflect and affirm the quality of the education, upbringing and support you've received from those people. If you can manage to throw in a bit of challenge and inspiration, a touch of humour and then keep the whole thing under 4 minutes you'll be very much appreciated.

IMNSHO, FWIW, YMMV

gg

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted April 27, 2006 22:44      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of the best....
and you can now hear it.

Steve Jobs Speaks at Stanford Commencement
http://www.wiredatom.com/jobs_stanford_speech/

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 27, 2006 23:05      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sadly, not authentic, but this speech is quite good.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10668 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jessycat

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1171

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 27, 2006 23:26      Profile for Jessycat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This one got rave reviews last summer.
Posts: 490 | From: NYC | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 28, 2006 05:11      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You guys have it real easy. I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and your going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.
Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Luke Skywalker
Assimilated
Member # 3096

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 28, 2006 13:37      Profile for Luke Skywalker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For a HS graduation, keep it short. Less than five minutes. But keep it interesting, relaxing, and have fun. You only get to do this once.

--------------------
Use the Force, Luke.

Posts: 406 | From: The Line Between Time and Space | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
supergoo

SuperFan!
Member # 2280

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 28, 2006 13:48      Profile for supergoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by garlicguy:
So, goo, are we talkin' Valedictory Address here?

Congratulations!

Yeah, that's me [blush]

Well it's not a *huge* deal, but I don't want to say something trite or lame and have it recorded on numerous homemade graduation videos. I just wanted some ideas. I'll definitely go with short and sweet but not too sappy.

--------------------
Y los sueños, sueños son.

Posts: 675 | From: Boston 'burbs | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 30, 2006 18:32      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The best I ever heard was for college. He was the first college grad in his family. He spoke about the importance of education and how knowledge could never be taken away from you. He thanked his grandpa, who was from Eastern Europe and had encouraged him from the time he was small to aim for college. In his closing he spoke about how it was now our duty to help other people have educational opportunities.
Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture