homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Lost Season 2 for UK

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Lost Season 2 for UK
Kirsty
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 5082

Icon 1 posted April 25, 2006 11:39      Profile for Kirsty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi there...

Just wondering if anyone knew yet of anywhere where you can download Lost Season 2 from the UK. I have joined itunes but obviously can't access the US store (credit card registered here)

Is there anywhere else?

Please help, thanks,
Kirsty

Posts: 1 | From: England | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted April 25, 2006 11:49      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We are in Canada and have the same problem. What we do is pay an American to buy us an iTunes gift certificate.

When you go to redeem it, just create an iTunes US account that has a US address. 90210 for example.

Perhaps someone on the forums (a longtime member) would offer to do that for you.

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 25, 2006 12:53      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm... how legal would it be to set up a business selling US iTunes gift certificates to non-US residents? 'Cause I'd have fun doing that if it wouldn't be unlawful.

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 25, 2006 13:19      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That sounds like something I would call marginally legal. One person doing it might not cause a fuss, but starting a business doing that would turn the wrong heads.

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
óMiss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 25, 2006 14:19      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about doing something under the table? Like, charge for postage and, say, 15% commission to cover what amounts to rental of my credit card... US$115+postage for a $100 iTunes gift card doesn't sound too prohibitive to me, with discounts given for purchases over $500.

--------------------

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 25, 2006 14:23      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Under the table?

Umm...I'm finding a very big disconnect here.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 25, 2006 14:40      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, in PA any purchases under $500 don't need to be taxed, if IIRC. Hmm... if it's over the Internet I wouldn't need to register for a tax number anyway.

I guess what I meant is that I didn't really think a business like this would need an elaborate business plan, but there are quite a few contingencies that would need to be considered. What would be the safest way? Using PayPal? Setting the cards up on the US eBay at a "Buy It Now" price?

--------------------

TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 25, 2006 14:44      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ebay and Paypal are the same company, so you're equal as far as safety is concerned.

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
óMiss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 25, 2006 15:15      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rhon, you will burn in Hell, especially if you don't pay me for the idea.
[Big Grin]

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 25, 2006 15:21      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, okay, so we split the profits: I get 98% and you get 2%, seeing as I'm doing all the work and sustaining all the risk. And when you need iTunes credits, I'll only charge you 5% instead of the standard 15%. [Wink]

Of course, when the law comes knocking on my doors, you'll receive 100% credit for this operation! [Big Grin]

--------------------

littlefish
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 26, 2006 01:42      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
E4 have started running trailers for the 2nd season, so it will be on the telly soon, if you are willing to pay for cable/satellite/freeview.
Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
canadiangeek
Geek
Member # 4946

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 26, 2006 05:32      Profile for canadiangeek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
wait a minute.... you mean that the 2nd season hasn't aired there yet?

--------------------
-whenever you build something that's idiotproof, someone comes out with a better idiot-

Posts: 161 | From: Nova Scotia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 26, 2006 05:38      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is exactly what I mean. Most of the telly we get from foreign lands gets a delay.
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 26, 2006 09:47      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
J-List (you might remember them from their pixel ads on the JoT page) do the same thing, but for the Japanese iTMS. So you can buy Japanese songs.
Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 26, 2006 10:07      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by littlefish:
That is exactly what I mean. Most of the telly we get from foreign lands gets a delay.

So I guess it might tick you overseas Lost fans off if we started discussing major plot developments in the 2nd season here. [Wink]

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 26, 2006 14:21      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Meh, I enjoyed the first few episodes of lost, but became very frustrated as no plot points were resolved. So, chat all you want for all I care.
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 26, 2006 14:34      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sxeptomaniac:
So I guess it might tick you overseas Lost fans off if we started discussing major plot developments in the 2nd season here. [Wink]

We're getting season 2 here, the 'Brokeback Mountain' plot with Jack and Sawyer was a real surprise !

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Swiss Mercenary

Member # 330

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 26, 2006 22:22      Profile for Swiss Mercenary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Season 2 starts on C4 next week IIRC.
As for Switzerland, they are showing the reruns of season 1 and we will get season 2 in June.

--------------------
Evil AI at work.
I am Swiss of Borg. Holes are irrelevant, cheese will be assimilated!

Posts: 2275 | From: All the way from the land of Chocolate, Cheese and Cuckoo Clocks. | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
canadiangeek
Geek
Member # 4946

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 27, 2006 04:32      Profile for canadiangeek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Wow... I guess that's another advantage of living in Canada..... you get American programming without having to put up with living in the USA. (read: I HATE BUSH)

--------------------
-whenever you build something that's idiotproof, someone comes out with a better idiot-

drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 27, 2006 06:44      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by canadiangeek:
quote:

Wow... I guess that's another advantage of living in Canada..... you get American programming without having to put up with living in the USA. (read: I HATE BUSH)
I just wish they didn't replace American commercials with local commercials.

At least during the superbowl -- it's the only reason I watch it.

During the superbowl, I go to friends' where they have FTA satellite and watch the American commercials there.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
canadiangeek
Geek
Member # 4946

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 27, 2006 08:48      Profile for canadiangeek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget: I just wish they didn't replace American commercials with local commercials.

At least during the superbowl -- it's the only reason I watch it.

During the superbowl, I go to friends' where they have FTA satellite and watch the American commercials there.

True, it is a bit of a pain during the superbowl... but I actually prefer the local commercials (normally). Besides, I just watch the superbowl commercials the next day on the internet.

--------------------

Mikebyrne
Geek
Member # 5105

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 03, 2006 15:04      Profile for Mikebyrne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I live in Ireland but im up to date with lost thanks to the wonders of Piratebay

But lets keep that between us!!!

Posts: 127 | From: Ireland | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture