homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » IDE CD-ROM changer w/linux?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: IDE CD-ROM changer w/linux?
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 18, 2006 12:57      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(lots of explanation, if you just want the question, just look for the bolded text below)

Because I'm insanely jealous of Tut-an-Geek and his Crazy Mods, I decided I want to try somethig myself.

In my bus there is a homemade wooden box that sits between the two front seats. Right now it's full of (containers of) nasty chemicals (liquid wrench, lead substitute, WD-40, brake fluid, etc). I don't need to carry around all those chemicals with me, and I would like to clean the box out and put a computer inside of it to use as an MP3 player.

I have a Celeron 499.6MHz eMachine that is sitting gathering dust right now, and some spare sound cards and stuff too. The full description is beyond the scope of this post, I'll post more details when I start really designing stuff.

I can't really use a hard drive in this system as the bus's suspension isn't that great, and I am certain the hard drive would expierence frequent significant shock and subsequent death! My plan is to hook up some CD-ROM drives to the computer and I have this 4x 4-Disc IDE CD-ROM changer that I salvaged out of Steph's Grandma's *old* computer when I set her up with a new one. Obviously this would be perfect to use as I could plop (/me does mental math: "7*4=28, then add the zeros, then move the decimal point") 2.8GB of MP3s onto four discs and never have to swap them. That may not sound like much, but my MP3 collection isn't that large. I'd also add another tray-load CD-ROM (I have a brazillion of them sitting around anyway) on the outside of the box for loading audio CDs and whatnot if I wanted to. Anyway, finally my question:

How do I go about identifiying the 4x 4-disc IDE CD-ROM changer to Linux, and how do I identify each individual disc inside the changer? Would they be /dev/hda, /dev/hdb, /dev/hdc, and /dev/hdd? Or /dev/hda1, /dev/hda2, /dev/hda3, and /dev/hda4? Would it even recognize the multiple-CD capabilities of the drive? (Windows95 didn't) Would I need a special driver, kernel module, or something like that? Should I just hook it up and see?! [Razz]

Thanks in advance, and especially thank you to anyone who bothered to read my rambling explanation. [Smile]

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 18, 2006 13:40      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is a program called 'eject' that handles CD changers. You tell it eject -c <slot> /dev/hdc or whatever, and the active disc becomes that CD.

But dependent upon the drive, it might see it as 4 seperate drives, and treat them like /dev/hdc1 /dev/hdc2 /dev/hdc3 /dev/hdc4, and then you can mount them to 4 seperate mount points, and then get an mp3 program that'll buffer 1 song ahead at least so you don't have to wait as the thing does its grinding, etc.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted April 18, 2006 14:40      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you're getting enough shock and vibration to harm a hard drive, chances are you're going to have playback issues with CDROMs too. If the MB supports USB, you might see if there's a cheap card reader you can graft on and user whichever flash memory format is cheapest/makes you happiest. No skipping issues then.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 18, 2006 18:44      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MacManKrisK___________________Steens idea of using USB drive (thumb drives) sounds the best to me also, Does Damn Small Linux fit into a thumb drive and is it have sound card enabled?
Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 18, 2006 19:48      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, USB Flash Drives or a IDE-->CF adapter would be preferable, I know, but I have the CD-ROM drives just sitting around, and USB Keychains and the like are still really expensive compared to a $0.04 CD-R.

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 19, 2006 04:22      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MacManKrisK___________________Unless you can suspend the drives in some kind of rubber mount, like rubber bands at all four corners to the corners of the box and let the drives hang in space.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 19, 2006 05:15      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now I would disagree. He needs to be able to read somewhere around 3-5MB off the drive every 3-5 minutes. Unless he intends on driving the truck through a mud bog, I would hazard to say that shouldn't be overly difficult.
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture