homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » How do I share a partition with satan???

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How do I share a partition with satan???
pocadotty
Newbie Larva
Member # 5055

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted April 13, 2006 17:02      Profile for pocadotty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alright guys here is my question...

I am setting up a dual boot system with Fedora Core 5, ubuntu, or SUSE (havent decided yet) and XP home...

I know microsoft is the incarnation of all that is souless and wrong in the computing world... however there are programs that I need to have, that only work on windows... I know it sucks... (I feel the same way)

Anyway, I want to split up my second hdr (which presently is an ntsf [Frown] ) to have a linux only partition, and a shared partition where I can read and write files from each OS. Windows will have my first HD to itself.

I know that FAT32 format is suported by linux and Windows, but im wondering if it really is that simple... can i just partition the two volumes on the drive as FAT32 and automatically have things set the way I want? or is there something more complicated to do?

I have partition magic 8 to aid me on my quest, but some advice would be much apreciated...

And on another note... does anyone know of any good open source music creation/mixing software? (like open source equivilants of acid studio, reason, magix music maker...)

Posts: 8 | From: Boise Idaho | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 13, 2006 17:07      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by pocadotty:
And on another note... does anyone know of any good open source music creation/mixing software? (like open source equivilants of acid studio, reason, magix music maker...)

I guess you've checked out Audacity? It's not a sequencer, and I've hardly used it, and I know nothing about it, and... whatever. It does something to do with sound.
Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
pocadotty
Newbie Larva
Member # 5055

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted April 13, 2006 17:30      Profile for pocadotty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, ill check it out...

my favorite sequencers are in Reason, and i doubt that thats going to change... but the more sound stuff software the better. Hopefully I will find something its especially good at... hell I even use regular old sound recorder from time to time...

Jace Raven

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted April 13, 2006 20:01      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To answer you question about the HDD:

Format and install all of your operating systems leaving space left over for your "shared" portion of the drive. Leave this unformatter. Dont touch it.

I would suggest using XPs partioner to partition XPs portion of the HDD and install the OS. Then use your *nix's built in partitioner to partition its' part of the HDD and leave what you want both OS's to share untouched, unpartitioned, unformatted.

Once you get both OS's booting easily and your MBR looking good, meaning you didn't fsck anything up...haha, I made a funny...then go into your OS of choice and partition the remaining space to be FAT32.

Boot into both and it should show up as extra HDs

Done!

Revel in your magic. (partition)

Rant:
Windows is a damn fine Operating system for many instances. Just because they are proprietary beyond all likeness doesn't make them the devil. Note that I am forced to support windows and maintain a VERY large windows network in many different countries and everyday I come home I boot two laptops and a desktop. One laptop with Ubuntu, one laptop with Solaris and the desktop with windows (gaming purposes).

In conclusion, it all depends on the users needs. I can't expect to give my 3yo son a *nix machine and have full and complete confidence that that machine isn't going to crash in 5 minutes from user error. I couldn't expect to do that 'till he was about 4 or 5 at least... but I can with windows.

-ct-
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted April 13, 2006 20:17      Profile for -ct-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
at LEAST /don't/ use the home version.... [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Things are always darkest... just before you pull your head out of your butt, void where prohibited, keep away from flame, surcharge(s) may apply.

www.harddriveHELL.com and demoniclemon.com

Posts: 1906 | From: nowhere, man | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
pocadotty
Newbie Larva
Member # 5055

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted April 13, 2006 21:47      Profile for pocadotty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks a bunch!

I know windows has its purposes, thats why I am keeping it. But when I wrote that stuff I was particularly anoid with microsoft so i did a bit of a rant of my own. Windows will probably remain my "doing random stuff" OS.

As for the music stuff that is solved for I have discovered Demundi by the agnula project... which is a linux OS designed for sound and music engineering (right up my hobby alley [Smile] )

And then I will have fedora for my office and software engineering...

So I think I have my bases covered

I aslo found that i might have to impliment a mount point to brows the FAT32 drive... is this true or should I just be able to read it outright no matter which OS I partition it from?

GameMaster
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 13, 2006 22:23      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd install Windows, first.
Then the linuxes.

Linux can read NTFS, but writing is iffy. XP likes NTFS... Using a FAT32 partion (or FAT-anything) is the way to go, until linux support of NTFS gets better.

Save a little more space

Then the linuxes. Set aside 1 partion to mount as /home (FAT32) for all your Linuxes. Then install all the Linux distros you want, telling each to use the same home... After each linux install rename the "dot files" for the default user (and root, if /root is a symlink to /home/root, which some distros sometimes do).

--------------------
My Site

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted April 13, 2006 22:55      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Thanks a bunch!

I know windows has its purposes, thats why I am keeping it. But when I wrote that stuff I was particularly anoid with microsoft so i did a bit of a rant of my own. Windows will probably remain my "doing random stuff" OS.

As for the music stuff that is solved for I have discovered Demundi by the agnula project... which is a linux OS designed for sound and music engineering (right up my hobby alley [Smile] )

And then I will have fedora for my office and software engineering...

So I think I have my bases covered

I aslo found that i might have to impliment a mount point to brows the FAT32 drive... is this true or should I just be able to read it outright no matter which OS I partition it from?

Modern Linuxes automatically create all necessary mount directories under /mnt/ . Just make sure the partition is in your fstab to mount at startup, and I think you will be good to go.

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

Tirthas the Geek
Mini Geek
Member # 2864

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 14, 2006 12:45      Profile for Tirthas the Geek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ditto to what's been said so far:

Windows first, then Linux, then shared space.

I would recommend Ubuntu--I've toyed with RedHat, then Fedora, then Mandriva (liked that one), then Ubuntu, and Ubuntu is the only one that I have really wanted to use. It's easy to install and maintain, and works really well on both the desktop and aged Dell laptop I use it on.

TdaG

--------------------
I already used my best sig on Slashdot.

Posts: 92 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
GameMaster
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 14, 2006 13:49      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, and create only one swap space (either in the first linux install or before it when preping harddrive) for the Linux-es and mount it in each of the fstab-s... Otherwise you'll be wasting a lot of space.

--------------------
My Site

Flashfire
Assimilated
Member # 2616

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 14, 2006 17:26      Profile for Flashfire   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by maximile:
quote:

I guess you've checked out Audacity? It's not a sequencer, and I've hardly used it, and I know nothing about it, and... whatever. It does something to do with sound.
Hey, thanks for pointing out Audacity -- I downloaded it last night and started playing with it. Very fun. [thumbsup] Kinda reminded me of a cross between Soundforge and Acid Studio. I know I'm going to waste hours creating new and twisted MP3 mixes. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"No silicon heaven? That's absurd!
Where would all the calculators go?"
--Kryten, Red Dwarf
-------------------------------
My Web Comic: NSTA: Semper Vigilantis

Posts: 368 | From: State of Denial | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
pocadotty
Newbie Larva
Member # 5055

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted April 14, 2006 18:05      Profile for pocadotty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah,Audacity looks pretty neet, im sure im going to have alot of fun with it...

There is a whole bunch of sound generation stuff in Angula DeMunDi... Im going to have alot of fun with it makeing industrial music for my band.

Alls well on my end, well it will be when i get the video drivers installed.

here is what I did and it worked great...

I left windows alone because its on its own Hardrive... the spair i altered to an FAT32 with partition magic and divied up space for Demundi and later fedora, I only did one swap, I figured since its a seporate partition that the linux systems would share it....

all in all it was a good deal easier then I thought it would be...

I have herd good things about ubuntu, what would you guys say is the main advantage of it over... say SuSe OSS or Fedora Core 5?

GameMaster
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 14, 2006 21:05      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FC 5 - I've used ReHat Linux, FC4, RHEL, and all of them work pretty well. FC and RedHat in geneneral, before ubuntu, was a simplest distro to learn for beginners.

Suse - I dislike Novel, and have not used it all. So, I can't say anything about it's functions.

Ubuntu - Simple. Based on Debian, so it's stable. No ability to log in as root directly stops beginners from running as root all the time (REALLY GOOD THING). It just works.

Debian - It's more complicated a beast, but then it is also more stable. The biggest drawback is that new software doesn't get into Debian's package system easily or quickly... Debian developers are very dedicated to making it stable, and will hold off a release until it's as bullet proof as they can make it.

After running a little while, and installing/removing software a bit, the distro doesn't matter as it's no longer anything like the base system was. Especially if you compile your own kernel (which isn't anywhere near as daugnting as it used to be).

--------------------
My Site

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture