homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » IBM and Safe mode?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: IBM and Safe mode?
SilverBlade
Alpha Geek
Member # 3541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 31, 2006 15:29      Profile for SilverBlade   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is probably a very stupid mistake I made along the way but I am having problems booting my friend's IBM Thinkpad in Safe Mode. I seem to recall that it is a slightly more finnicky than booting from another laptop.

Long story short, her laptop is so bugged up it won't even let me update Adaware definitions without freezing. Yikes!

So can anybody help me, or tell me off for being a doofus? [Razz]

--------------------
http://www.silver-blade.net

Posts: 303 | From: Hong Kong | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Mac D
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted March 31, 2006 17:11      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well if it's spyware problems I found the best way to solve it is to wipe the HD clean and start from scrach. I don't know anyone who has gotten it all off any other way. There are always going to be some spyware that the programs for getting rid of it won't catch. And if the person put Kazza or Limewire or the like on it laugh at them and refuse to fix it till they promiss not to install that ever again.

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kinguy
Geek
Member # 4527

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 31, 2006 17:19      Profile for Kinguy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Jace Raven

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted March 31, 2006 17:21      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mac D:
Well if it's spyware problems I found the best way to solve it is to wipe the HD clean and start from scrach. I don't know anyone who has gotten it all off any other way. There are always going to be some spyware that the programs for getting rid of it won't catch. And if the person put Kazza or Limewire or the like on it laugh at them and refuse to fix it till they promiss not to install that ever again.

Kazaa, I can see; Limewire, now that is a different story.

I've been using it for years now and I haven't had any problems with it at all, on top of that, I dont have a firewal, and only use Symantec AntiVirus, Corporate Ed. with 10.11 ViriDefs.

I would suggest Norton System Works. It actually works.

Note: There needs to be a windows based program that will let you boot from a cd and scan a HDD for viri and adware.

/me googles

GameMaster
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 31, 2006 18:12      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jace Raven:
quote:
Originally posted by Mac D:

Kazaa, I can see; Limewire, now that is a different story.

I've been using it for years now and I haven't had any problems with it at all, on top of that, I dont have a firewal, and only use Symantec AntiVirus, Corporate Ed. with 10.11 ViriDefs.

I would suggest Norton System Works. It actually works.

Note: There needs to be a windows based program that will let you boot from a cd and scan a HDD for viri and adware.

/me googles

Jace... Your asking for trouble. Norton made some nice tools; but lately System Works is more trouble and money than it's worth. With the rootkit problem, "start keylogger" problem...

If you haven't ANY firewall, and you've got a always on connection your asking for trouble.

SilverBlade, I'd recomend using a live disk to scan from first. Like Knoppix with Clam AV/fprot. Clam AV and Fprot don't have the largest databases, but run from a live linux CD -- it might not catch everything. The flip side to it is that if you remove enough, you might be able to update the definitions and get a scan running.

There is also a project called Window XPE, which is a live CD of Windows (on which you install any AV software you have a valid license for (that isn't tied to hardware (DRM)))... but it requires a bit of setup that is fairly advanced and over kill if your just trying to clean one machine. At work, we service a whole college, and have to clean machines on a regular basis -- this has been an invaluable tool. Note, there are some grey legal areas even if you have a license of windows for each live CD you burn.

--------------------
My Site

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 31, 2006 23:02      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Silverblade,

The f8 key on XP should kick it into safe mode. Barring that, just kill the laptop right in the middle of an XP session. Either hold the power button until it does a hard shut down or pull the plug and yank the battery.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2463 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Flashfire
Assimilated
Member # 2616

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 01, 2006 21:23      Profile for Flashfire   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jace Raven:

/me googles

The CD burning app Nero has an option that will let you create bootable CDs with whatever programs you want on it. Helpful.

--------------------
"No silicon heaven? That's absurd!
Where would all the calculators go?"
--Kryten, Red Dwarf
-------------------------------
My Web Comic: NSTA: Semper Vigilantis

Posts: 368 | From: State of Denial | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
SilverBlade
Alpha Geek
Member # 3541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 02, 2006 06:44      Profile for SilverBlade   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, I managed to get the laptop into Safe Mode, and ran Defrag, and Scandisk around two times, and Ad-Aware about 4 times. Its still slow as pie, and my eye is on her version of Norton Antivirus. Her laptop takes ages to shutdown, and a program called ccApp.exe always crashed. Turns out it is something from Norton. Furthermore, whenever I try to open Norton, it crashes. Finally, Norton is the reason why it takes literally 10 minutes for the laptop to fully turn on.

I never liked Norton.

Oh, and the processor is Celeron. Heh heh.

--------------------
http://www.silver-blade.net

Posts: 303 | From: Hong Kong | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Chesty
Assimilated
Member # 2460

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 02, 2006 19:43      Profile for Chesty         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ok go to run msconfig

all the way over on the startup tabb uncheck all the norton programs. Norton takes huge system processes to run all those programs in the background.

I would not keep any auto-protect or ghost or anything going in the background. If you are soo freaking laxy that you must have an automatic virus checkker go with AVG free it has a small footprint and doesn't interfere with any program i know of.

Is this an old thing using '98? if so then go ahead and uncheck everything in startup except scanregistry, systray and load power profile. This will free up a lot of resources.

Also if you have a printer software keep it on but kill all that other crap.

Posts: 416 | From: The Beach | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture