homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Quicktime killed my compy

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Quicktime killed my compy
Flashfire
Assimilated
Member # 2616

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted March 28, 2006 15:01      Profile for Flashfire   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey all,

I have a small issue that I need some help resolving -- yesterday, I installed iTunes + Quicktime 7 onto my main compy. Everything worked fine until I decided to start the computer up again. Now, Windows 2k will not boot. It gets about halfway through the process, and hangs. Even in Safe Mode, the same thing happens. I tried every single option on the F8 Boot Options menu, and none of them work. It hangs in the same place, each time. Bad juju. [Frown]

After fiddling a bit, I think I have the possible problems narrowed down to two:

1) Because of where Win 2k hangs (just when the video card is initializing), I figure that Quicktime must have caused the mother of all conflicts with my video card, causing it to not initialize properly and stall the boot. If there was some way I could get around this stage of the boot, get into Windows, and uninstall Quicktime, I think (hope) things will go back to normal and work again. Unfortunately, I have no idea how to do this.

2) The hard drive is going bad, and it coincidently started just after installing Quicktime. If this turns out to be the case, I know what to do. However, I don't want to invest in a new HDD (okay, yes I do, but can't really justify it right now [Wink] ), and move everything over unless I am absolutely certain that will fix the problem.

So, that's where I am right now. Poor compy is lobotomized, and while it's not too critical that I get it back up and running, I feel rather guilty leaving it like this. If I really have to, I can reinstall Windows over the existing install, but that is absolutely the last-ditch alternative. If anyone has any advice, I'd really appreciate it. [Smile] Thanks!

--------------------
"No silicon heaven? That's absurd!
Where would all the calculators go?"
--Kryten, Red Dwarf
-------------------------------
My Web Comic: NSTA: Semper Vigilantis

Posts: 368 | From: State of Denial | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted March 28, 2006 15:42      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dude, at least it didn't turn your mouth into a broken JPEG! On a more serious note, try starting up in logged mode, then use a knoppix CD or something along those lines to check out the bootlog.txt file and see which driver is causing the problem.
Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 28, 2006 15:48      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by zesovietrussian:
Dude, at least it didn't turn your mouth into a broken JPEG!

[Big Grin]
Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Flashfire
Assimilated
Member # 2616

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 29, 2006 14:23      Profile for Flashfire   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by zesovietrussian:
Dude, at least it didn't turn your mouth into a broken JPEG! On a more serious note, try starting up in logged mode, then use a knoppix CD or something along those lines to check out the bootlog.txt file and see which driver is causing the problem.

Sorry, was just trying to be thorough.

Anyhow, I tried starting in logged mode, but there's no log that I could find afterwords. I'm beginning to think that it's not even getting to the point where it can start logging. [Frown]

So...any ideas, beyond "give up the lost cause"?

--------------------
"No silicon heaven? That's absurd!
Where would all the calculators go?"
--Kryten, Red Dwarf
-------------------------------
My Web Comic: NSTA: Semper Vigilantis

Posts: 368 | From: State of Denial | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture