homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » The most successful.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The most successful.
The real Stealth
Geek
Member # 4615

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted March 28, 2006 13:39      Profile for The real Stealth   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Due to a recent assignment I had I wondered who people here on GC thought were the five most successful people in the world.

Here are my five (in no particular order):

Linus Torvalds

Andrew Morton

Andrew Tridgell

Eric S. Raymond

And: TUX the Linux Penguin [Applause] [Geek]

PS: I was never told they had no be living breathing creatures so in my book TUX is a person. Any way the assignment is over so I'm just wondering what others think.

--------------------
The one and only "§†eal†h the Fallen One"...Between Your life And mine are Three realities, Yours, The real one, and Mine. They they form a bridge shapped in the letters D-O-_-N-O-T-_-C-R-O-S-S.

Posts: 141 | From: Battle Creek, MI | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 4 posted March 29, 2006 01:03      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The problem with your question is that success has so many definitions. The discussion here should be "What is success?" When that question is then resolved, the question of who is most sucessful is easy to answer. We just apply the rubric of sucess we agreed upon to the cadidates and see who scores highest.

p.s. I can think of hundreds of other people who achieved more of what they set out to do than your candidates.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jace Raven

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted March 29, 2006 05:22      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Success is simply achieving your goals of confort. As such, the simplest, perhaps even poor man, that is happy may be more successful than the wealthiest man in the world.

Mr. Wealthy, Man may have always wanted to start a family and doesn't feel complete, on contempt with his wealth.

Mr. Average, Joe may have a job he loves, no matter how low paying, and a family that cherishes him, and though he may have trouble making it from pay check to pay check, he will always have the love and confort of his family.

Which man is the more successful? Only for you to decide, however I will take family and happiness over wealth and material any day.

drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 29, 2006 08:43      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In response to Jace: I think that's kind of the point -- the teacher wants everyone to give their own personal interpretation of 'successful'.

To some people, successful means rich.
To some people, successful means famous.
To some people, successful means eating.

It all depends on what side of the fence you're on.

If you believe people who've created things that other people use, and take enjoyment in that, then your first 4 are right. There really is no wrong answer.

As for tux, if being the mascot for something you believe in is your idea of successful, then bingo, you got it.

The beauty in that sort of an assignment is that there really is no wrong answer.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
The real Stealth
Geek
Member # 4615

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 29, 2006 14:29      Profile for The real Stealth   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Success was not defined so for this it is whoever you in your opinion think for your deffinition is successful.

Oh yeah and one person listed "Michael Jackson" as someone on their top 5... I need to go take a shower after saying that name.

--------------------
The one and only "§†eal†h the Fallen One"...Between Your life And mine are Three realities, Yours, The real one, and Mine. They they form a bridge shapped in the letters D-O-_-N-O-T-_-C-R-O-S-S.

Posts: 141 | From: Battle Creek, MI | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted March 29, 2006 17:08      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The real Stealth:
Eric S. Raymond

ESR was unsuccessful at his attempts to get my phone number a few years ago, so I wouldn't include him on my list... [Razz]
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 29, 2006 17:10      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
w00t!

/me looks smugly in the direction of ESR.

Besides, he's a 2nd Amendment nut...and I don't recall the last thing of his that I agree with. [Razz]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted March 29, 2006 18:09      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Demosthenes:
quote:
Originally posted by The real Stealth:
Eric S. Raymond

ESR was unsuccessful at his attempts to get my phone number a few years ago, so I wouldn't include him on my list... [Razz]
A few years ago, eh? A 50something year old dude trying to get some 18(?) year old chick's phone number - now that's just plain scary, to say the least. On the other hand, how can any chick say no to that fellow?
Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jace Raven

Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted March 29, 2006 19:16      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like your sig.
ARJ
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 157

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 29, 2006 19:55      Profile for ARJ   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
Besides, he's a 2nd Amendment nut...and I don't recall the last thing of his that I agree with. [Razz]

Ever since he coined the utterly banal phrase "anti-idiotarian" I've refused to pay any attention to the man.

--------------------
Katie West: Well done steak? Really?

Warren Ellis: Yes. Because MAN COOK MEAT WITH FIRE UNTIL IT NO CRY ANY MORE THEN EAT IT DEAD

Posts: 1197 | From: Sydney, NSW, AU | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
GameMaster
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 29, 2006 20:02      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DMan,

I'm a second amendment nut as well. In fact, I'm a large fan of the first ten as a whole.

--------------------
My Site

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted March 30, 2006 08:01      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jace Raven:
I like your sig.

Whose?

Despite the fact that I'm usually sitting on the prissy-liberal side of the fence, I'm a Second Amendment nut myself, because I don't want to see a precedent set for editing the Constitution that drastically, and because I feel that people should have guns if they feel the need to and be educated about their safe use.

(Besides, how else am I going to fend off overzealous sendmail-maintaining sleazeballs at sci-fi conventions? I needp that submachine gun...)

zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted March 30, 2006 08:22      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
An lecensed full-auto glock? Now that's HOT!
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 30, 2006 12:12      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GameMaster:
DMan,

I'm a second amendment nut as well. In fact, I'm a large fan of the first ten as a whole.

I am pretty much in favor of all the amendments except the 18th. Yea, and the boring ones describing what happens when someone whacks the president.'Cause it really doesn't matter.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 30, 2006 12:43      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ashitaka:
Yea, and the boring ones describing what happens when someone whacks the president.'Cause it really doesn't matter.

Here's hoping. [Wink]
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 30, 2006 14:13      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ashitaka:
quote:
Originally posted by GameMaster:
DMan,

I am pretty much in favor of all the amendments except the 18th. Yea, and the boring ones describing what happens when someone whacks the president.'Cause it really doesn't matter.
Actually, spelling out presidential succession does matter. Several parts of those amendments were designed specifically in response to real issues that had already come up, such as Woodrow Wilson becoming nearly completely incapacitated by a stroke.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Maggs
Geek
Member # 4682

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 31, 2006 18:28      Profile for Maggs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Maggs:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:
[qb]

To some people, successful means rich.
To some people, successful means famous.
To some people, successful means eating.

It all depends on what side of the fence you're on.

The successful people out there are the least appreciated in their lifetime. Take for instance, George Bool, he died soaking wet after walking in the rain. Most people are oblivious that the web page they view today depended on Bool learning Calculus, it took him 5 years to realize he was learning nothing, and he changed his ways, and such geekculture.com was born.

Success for me, would be strength through adversity. When the cards are down focus harder.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Boole

Posts: 193 | From: NYC | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jace Raven

Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted March 31, 2006 19:12      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
I like your sig.

Whose?

zesovietrussian
homo homini lupus est

zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted March 31, 2006 21:29      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:
I like your sig.

Whose?

zesovietrussian
homo homini lupus est

In theory, it's frater. In practice, it's lupus...

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture