homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » cable modem woes

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: cable modem woes
angryjungman

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2434

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 26, 2006 14:52      Profile for angryjungman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm having some major issues with my cable modem, and was wondering if anybody had some ideas. Basically, it randomly resets itself, thus rendering the internet inaccessable. If I go into the router I can release/renew the IP and it works again...until the next reset.

Comcast has been out here three different times, and can't find a problem. They say the levels look good, and they've even replaced my cable modem. All to no avail. Does anybody have any idea what the problem could be? Thanks in advance for any solutions.

--------------------
Meh.

Posts: 633 | From: princeton, nj | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 26, 2006 16:29      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is it on a power conditioning strip?
Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
angryjungman

Member # 2434

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 26, 2006 17:15      Profile for angryjungman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by maximile:
Is it on a power conditioning strip?

It's plugged into a power strip, but afaik it doesn't do any conditioning.

--------------------
Meh.

Jace Raven

Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted March 26, 2006 17:17      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
perhaps you're spiking. Try replacing the strip or just doing a little selective interchange.
angryjungman

Member # 2434

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 27, 2006 05:29      Profile for angryjungman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Before it was plugged into the power strip, I had it plugged into a UPS, and had the same problem [probably should have mentioned that before]. I would think the UPS would take care of any spiking.

--------------------
Meh.

drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 27, 2006 06:15      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a total shot in the dark, but does the cable modem perhaps have too permissive SNMP settings, and do you have a box on your network that's sending out SNMP packets.. perhaps ones that're telling it to reboot?
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
angryjungman

Member # 2434

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 28, 2006 08:10      Profile for angryjungman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not sure if this will help, but I logged in to the modem and checked the event log. This message appears quite often:

"Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received"

Does that mean anything to anyone?

--------------------
Meh.

RScottV

SuperFan!
Member # 3540

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 28, 2006 08:31      Profile for RScottV     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know nothing about this sort of thing, but out of curiosity I googled that entire phrase in quotes. Several forum posts come up. You would probably understand them much better than I, but I noticed several mentions of using shorter cables and of making sure the firmware is up to date. Some folks ran into trouble after uncapping their modems.

My modem does this about every other month so if you find an answer that works, please post it.

Good luck.

Posts: 211 | From: Saint Paul, MN | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Democritus the Minor
Geek Apprentice
Member # 2620

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 28, 2006 14:54      Profile for Democritus the Minor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
depending on the city, comcast sometimes requires that the router uses the same MAC address of the computer that was originally connected to the modem... i doubt this will solve it, but give it a shot.

you might check if the modem is a router as well... most cable modems aren't, but a few are. belkin routers have some problems with certain cable modems, and other brands might as well. check the kb (knowledgebase) articles on the router mfgr website.

--------------------
We are 1447. We are better than 1337.

Posts: 42 | From: Chicago 'Burbs | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Maggs
Geek
Member # 4682

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 12, 2006 15:07      Profile for Maggs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Try MAC address cloning. Where your inital PC MAC address is cloned via software, and reports that value to the modem.

What modem model is it?

Help is in the details. I know some people who have connections with Comcast. So give me some info, and I might be able to help.

Your modem might be flapping.

I hate to promote another site (forgive me, but the info is well laid out) , but check out

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/comcast

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/cabletech

Posts: 193 | From: NYC | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture