homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Using VRO files in Imovie

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Using VRO files in Imovie
stonger
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 4992

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted March 20, 2006 15:46      Profile for stonger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been copied ,on a DVD-R disk, a series of files from a Hitachi digital video camera. I want to snaz up the movie and have Ilife06 on a MAC. But it will not read VRO files. Hitachie uses a RAM format to record files. Some DVD players can read it ..some not.. Well my Emac will not.. So it needs to be translated but I am at a lost to know how.. help..

Lost in Translation

Ron

maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 21, 2006 14:46      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm... this might be tough.

First, see if MPEG Streamclip will work.

If that doesn't help, you're going to have to... well, I don't know. Presumably your camera doesn't have a firewire / DV / iLink / IEEE1394 port. So you'd have to buy something to... ugh, it's too inconvenient to even consider. So I'd just focus on grabbing the stream from the VRO file. Do you mean that the disc's icon doesn't show up when you put it in? Or you just can't open the files? If it's the former, the drive doesn't support the format and you're screwed. If it's the latter, it's just a software thing, and you can try that link or searching for "vro mac" on Google.

At least you don't have a slot-loading drive.

And remember, you won't get great quality - the video has already been compressed to MPEG-2. You might suffer from problems such as tearing, interlace, blockiness in dark areas, poor colour depth...

Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
stonger
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 4992

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted March 21, 2006 16:03      Profile for stonger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess I am screwed. The icon shows on the desktop but not in finder. I can see the files but nothing will open them....I am trying Streamclip but it says the mpeg-2 playback is not installed(buy buy)

I think I am screwed. I am glad I did not buy this camera. I am only trying to add some value to the video files and was hoping the Mac would do it..

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture