homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Printing pocket address books in OS X

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Printing pocket address books in OS X
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 19, 2006 11:19      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So...I'd like to refresh my dead tree address book, and could use a suggestion or two. Back in Panther, I'd use Address Book's simple Print feature, and just have an 8.5"x11" printout of my address book. Then, I learned that Tiger added this feature:
quote:

Pocket Address Book Printing
Easily print a handy pocket address book to take with you anywhere.

Sounds great, right?

Not!!!

Print one of those out for 99 contacts, and you become a slave to the paper cutter. I must have spent at least 10 minutes precisely cutting and trimming all the resultant pile of little pages. Then came the process of binding it...first time I did it on a small copy, I did it with a staple or two down the center. 'Twas quick and to the point, but was ugly, and a bit rough. Also, the way it prints, it makes the tabs RTL instead of LTR, which makes for interesting conversation with friends, but looks bloody strange in the Western world. When I did it for real, I did a very neat and complicated taping job, so it's neatly bound. Alas, the new side effect is that the RTL results in pages that are bound to get chewed up and frayed, so I made a simple sleeve out of paper for it.

Suffice it to say, I must have wasted a 1/2 hour on it, and it was quite frustrating. After all that, it has soon become a bit out of date (and I used the portability of it to check with people about current contact info, noting it with pencil).

All this reminds me of how easy I recall this process was with Outlook 97 in the Bad Old Days. If I get sufficiently fed up with this process, I might just export my address book, and take it to work, and feed it to M$ Lookout! [sic]

But I digress - does anyone hear know of a good, free (preferably open source) way to print a pocket address book in OS X? I can't seem to find anything decent with Google or freshmeat.

Thanks in advance!

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 20, 2006 03:55      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I feel your pain Dman. The Address Book is potentially one of the most useful items in OSX but as it is a rather dreary old fashioned business tool, as opposed to those nice bright shiny digital hub iApps, it has received minimal, and half hearted development. Another half finished feature that has frustrated me hugely is its crippled label printing feature, which renders it useless for anything except a Christmas card list to private individuals. I am uncertain whether this is because of a lack of interest, or as part of some deal to keep ongoing development of MS Office, or because it would be too expensive. The net effect is that as far as function (as opposed to style), Entourage, which is itself a fairly simple app, just runs rings around the Address Book and iCal. I don't use MS stuff at home out of principle, but I have found no real alternative for my wife's design company. Even the latest version of iWork is a rather pathetic effort, a word processor that insists you save in its proprietary format and no spreadsheet or database. This is a shame as most of us have to spend some time using these things and would love to have the option of well designed stylish Apple versions. Near the top of my wish list for OSX 10.5 is that Apple properly overhaul iCal and the Address Book so that they become really useful integrated organising tools. If this is unaffordable, I wouldn't mind paying for this, either as unlockable "pro" features as in Quicktime, or as part of a revamped iWork suite.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 20, 2006 06:40      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LaTeX + perl.
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 20, 2006 06:44      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:
LaTeX + perl.

Yeah, I know...but that'll be a real pain. I'm not really into layout. I'll probably just go back to printing it the usual way on 8.5x11. It's kind of disappointing, though - given how well this worked back in Outlook 97 (which printed double-sided, at that).

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 20, 2006 07:58      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You didn't say if you tried SourceForge.
Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 20, 2006 08:08      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GMx:
You didn't say if you tried SourceForge.

I consider most functions on Sourceforge useless as its backend is poor. Freshmeat is a generally a better search tool for software that is on Sorceforge. Thanks, though - doesn't look like there's anything that makes a printer-friendly output.

--------------------

RScottV

SuperFan!
Member # 3540

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 20, 2006 09:08      Profile for RScottV     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I found this shareware program on Macupdate. It is ten dollars. Roll Call costs 15$ and makes address books with little pictures. I haven't found a good free solution.

I haven't tried either of them. Before I got a PDA, I used to print out labels and just stick them into a little address book. When people change their address, you just print out a new label for them. For making labels, I use "Mail Facotry" from BeLight Software. It is a little slow, but it integrates well with the Address Book and with iPhoto.

Good luck!

Posts: 211 | From: Saint Paul, MN | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 20, 2006 09:23      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RScottV:
I found this shareware program on Macupdate. It is ten dollars. Roll Call costs 15$ and makes address books with little pictures. I haven't found a good free solution.

I haven't tried either of them. Before I got a PDA, I used to print out labels and just stick them into a little address book. When people change their address, you just print out a new label for them. For making labels, I use "Mail Facotry" from BeLight Software. It is a little slow, but it integrates well with the Address Book and with iPhoto.

Good luck!

The first shareware program you linked to looks pretty good. Now if only it was free, preferably open source. More importantly - they need to work on improving their Google Pagerank, darn it! Why the heck couldn't I find that with my sensible queries?

--------------------

GameMaster
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 20, 2006 16:16      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I kept a dead tree copy of an adress book, I'd probably use ASCII text or LaTex... Don't use my mac for much more than Java Development/testing.

--------------------
My Site

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 21, 2006 09:08      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RScottV:
For making labels, I use "Mail Facotry" from BeLight Software. It is a little slow, but it integrates well with the Address Book and with iPhoto.

Good luck!

A little slow is an understatement, and rather buggy too. We have 500 entries on our Address Book, which might be more than average but Mail Factory sometimes cannot produce labels from them even when left overnight, so useless for my purposes. Imprint is a quicker alternative, though less flexible and does not produce such nice looking labels.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted March 21, 2006 09:16      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you're actually going to spend money on it, why not just buy a cheap used Palm instead? You can probably get a Visor Edge for around $30, or even less.
Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 21, 2006 09:41      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by zesovietrussian:
If you're actually going to spend money on it, why not just buy a cheap used Palm instead? You can probably get a Visor Edge for around $30, or even less.

I'm not going to spend money on it. [Smile]

And I already have a handful of PDAs...I want a failsafe, damn it!

--------------------

GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted March 21, 2006 13:30      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dragonman97 wrote:
I want a failsafe, damn it!

Tattoo it on your butt and carry a mirror around. If you do manage to lose the info, you'll have far larger things to worry about, so you won't notice [Big Grin]

Be aware, however, that you may need to stock up on twinkies if you have too many contacts.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 21, 2006 14:54      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Steen:
dragonman97 wrote:
I want a failsafe, damn it!

Tattoo it on your butt and carry a mirror around. If you do manage to lose the info, you'll have far larger things to worry about, so you won't notice [Big Grin]

Be aware, however, that you may need to stock up on twinkies if you have too many contacts.

Haha...cute. [Smile]

More politely, I should note that while I have a number of PDAs (many of which are free), I don't use any of them. I use my Zaurus as an Ogg player and general bit of portable Linux merriment, but only on long trips. I've found that PDAs just don't mesh properly in my life. Having a small paper phonebook in my briefcase is really handy -- and may hold numbers that aren't in my cell phone(s).

Thanks for the input, folks. I may break down and write something in Perl to do it. [Wink]

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture