homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Your favorite podcasts...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Your favorite podcasts...
Ugurcan

Member # 4746

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 16, 2006 05:31      Profile for Ugurcan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just got my first mp3 player. I went out to buy a new flash disk, but came back with a creative muvo mix instead. It costs only a few bucks more than a flash disk, and the chick at the store was very pretty... uhhm.. or.. persuasive should I say.. [Big Grin]

Anyway, I'm new to this podcasts and stuff. I just signed up to audible.com. Do you have any favorite podcasts and audiobook sites you would suggest?

--------------------
"Constants aren't, Variables won't..."

Posts: 219 | From: Under a 110 ft satellite dish... | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
merr
Geek
Member # 2193

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 16, 2006 07:29      Profile for merr   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The two podcasts I listen to:

TWiT - Leo Laporte and friends; listened to this since the very first episode and they just keep getting better and better.

Ruby on Rails podcast - because I've become a Rails master/lover over the last several months.

--------------------
"I wish they made a vending machine that sold vending machines... it would have to be real f*cking big!" -Mitch Hedberg

Posts: 179 | From: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
angryjungman

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2434

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 16, 2006 07:41      Profile for angryjungman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I mostly just listen to TWiT and our very own Digital Bill's podcast The Wizards of Technology.

--------------------
Meh.

Posts: 633 | From: princeton, nj | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 16, 2006 08:17      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since you won't be able to use that player in iTunes check out www.ipodder.org and download their software.

Some of my favorites are:
TWiT
KFI Tech Guy
and the They Might Be Giants podcast www.tmbg.com

Since the Podcast boom took off I haven't purchased anything from audible.com and let any subscriptions I had there expire.

Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted March 16, 2006 08:35      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wizards of Technology ... of which I'm an occasional guest.
TWiT! (oh, and stand by for some exciting TWiT news. [Cool] )
CBC Radio 3 Podcast... cool indie music.

and I miss East Detroit Radio. [Frown]

-Video Podcasts:
-French Maid TV is um, informative. [evil]
-Macbreak
and I have a love/hate with GeekBrief.

Posts: 8118 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 16, 2006 08:50      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the link to CBC Radio Snaggy! Since moving to the west side of Michigan I can no longer tune in CBC. I found so much new music listening to Brave New Waves and Nightlines. Will have to give Radio 3 a listen.
Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 16, 2006 10:12      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, TWiT, Wizards of Technology, Macbreak...

Some others: CommandN (video), Martin Sargent's Infected, Rocketboom (video), Tiki Bar TV (video, highly recommended), Comedy 365, Inside the Net... that's about it. Oh, and some crappy Photoshop ones.

Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
merr
Geek
Member # 2193

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 16, 2006 10:41      Profile for merr   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh yeah... I almost forgot about Systm (video) hosted by Kevin Rose. OK, so it's not exactly a podcast and new episodes come out... rarely. But, it's still good; especially the one about "hacking" wireless cameras.

--------------------
"I wish they made a vending machine that sold vending machines... it would have to be real f*cking big!" -Mitch Hedberg

Posts: 179 | From: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
ARJ
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 157

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 16, 2006 17:16      Profile for ARJ   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WoT as already mentioned by many

Popmeter

Break Room Stories

Triple J's Hack Daily

And I'm going to try out this knitting podcast - Cast On

--------------------
Katie West: Well done steak? Really?

Warren Ellis: Yes. Because MAN COOK MEAT WITH FIRE UNTIL IT NO CRY ANY MORE THEN EAT IT DEAD

Posts: 1197 | From: Sydney, NSW, AU | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted March 16, 2006 17:39      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some of what I listen to has already been mentioned. Things that wind up on my MP3 player that haven't been mentioned so far:

Cory Doctorow
Evil Genius Chronicles
James Patrick Kelly
Penn Jillette
Dawn and Drew (NSFF, so no link)
Open Source Sex (NSFW, so no link)
Podiobooks.com

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
toobe

Member # 3783

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 16, 2006 18:23      Profile for toobe   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I second Snaggy's choice of CBC Radio 3. I also subscribe to Electric Sky and thesniffer... I am so in love with Nora Young.

--------------------
Studies show reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it.

Posts: 175 | From: Victoria, BC | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
DIGit
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 5012

Icon 1 posted March 27, 2006 12:52      Profile for DIGit         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good choices. Tiki Bar TV is one of my favorite video podcasts. It's been featured as the one of the best podcasts on the Zing Index (http://www.podzinger.com/ZingIndex.jsp). That site's actually another good source for quality and popular podcasts.
N9IWP
Geek
Member # 1229

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 28, 2006 12:02      Profile for N9IWP     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Planetary Radio (www.planetary.org/radio)

Brian

Posts: 181 | From: Southeast MN | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
frodo
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 5414

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted July 17, 2006 16:21      Profile for frodo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry to dredge up an old topic just to promote my own podcast, but if you are interested in geek culture you will probably enjoy The Weekly Geek . That is all.

--------------------
----Frodo
weeklygeekshow.com

Posts: 1 | From: seattle, wa | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted July 17, 2006 16:52      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ever notice how, when someone starts with "Sorry, but..", it's almost always pathetically obvious that they really aren't?

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 17, 2006 18:08      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just like "Can I talk to you," or "I need to talk to you," NEVER opens up a pleasant conversation.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted July 17, 2006 18:26      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
True... and the last time a girlfriend asked "Can I talk to you", my reply was "No, you have to use interpretive dance."

That didn't end well.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 17, 2006 19:29      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I probably would have just pantomined strangling you. [Razz]

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture