homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » [OS10.4] Allocating memory

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: [OS10.4] Allocating memory
Patrick
Mini Geek
Member # 1793

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted March 13, 2006 14:38      Profile for Patrick   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Supposedly it should be simple, right? You select the program, Command-I, and change the memory. But for some reason the fields are grayed out and locked. Is there a way to unlock them? Or am i doing this wrong?

--------------------
"Oh, come on - are you telling me that you can look at a monkey and not get hungry?"
- Bucky Katt, GET FUZZY

Posts: 84 | From: California | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 13, 2006 15:07      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you talking about "Classic" apps Patrick?

Because OS X dynamically manages the RAM allocation of all processes on the fly and you no longer need to worry about manually assigning maximum and minimum RAM ...

If you need to alter the RAM allocation for an app under classic you do it much as you always did (get info/memory). If it is greyed out you are probably not considered as having sufficient privileges. Log in to an admin account (or temporarily make yourself admin enabled) and try again. Alternatively make sure you are owner of or have privileges for the folder containing the apps. Change the Folder ownership of the Apps you need to change to your account (temporarily or otherwise)... I have looked at the Info pane for my last remaining Classic Apps and the memory allocation is available to me (and I am not running in admin mode) though the "Classic Apps" folder inside Applications where I keep them does belong to me...

Hope this helps Patrick

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 13, 2006 20:48      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Back in the "old days" (and I think this is still true of Classic apps in OS X) you had to close the program you were running before you could change it's memory allocation otherwise it would be greyed out and unchangeable. This would be my suspcion as to your problem. Good luck.

(Of course, you could get System 6, turn off MultiFinder and then all your computer's memory would be allocated to the program.... but I digress from my sillyness)

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture