homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Geeky Phrases

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Geeky Phrases
anglodan
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 4969

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted March 10, 2006 04:01      Profile for anglodan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi there!
Ok i'm here to pick your brains.. I work on a radio station in Birmingham, and we are just about to lauch a new wind up called 'Geek Calls'

Basically, our caller is gonna phone up random people around the city and says the geekiest things possible to them.. Our contestant has to guess how long our geek is gonna keep them on the phone for before they hang up...

So to make it funny I need a list of what you think are the best 'geek phrases' around... all the best ones are gonna be used on the show

so any help would be great and please post your favorite geek phrase here..
thanks

Posts: 3 | From: birmingham | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
ChildeRoland
Alpha Geek
Member # 3880

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 10, 2006 04:40      Profile for ChildeRoland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To flame or not to flame, that is the question.

--------------------
=====================
Childe Roland

Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 10, 2006 05:26      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What a pathetic concept... (and so original too...)

And if you must do it at least get a real geek and don't come round here asking us to help you get some bozo to humiliate people!

[Mad]

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1936 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 10, 2006 06:49      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What? I think it's hilarious.

"Hey baby, can I root your box?"

"So I was wondering, should I install debian or gentoo?"

"I prefer perl for its regular expression and data type abilities."

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 10, 2006 08:04      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This idea is double plus bad . I think I would say, as a geek, that geeks are more intelligent than to randomly call up people and annoy them

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Metasquares
Highlie
Member # 4441

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 10, 2006 08:55      Profile for Metasquares   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So which do you prefer, vi or emacs?

If you get a real geek on the phone, you're never going to hear the end of it [Smile]

Posts: 664 | From: Morganville, NJ | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Astronomer Jedi
Highlie
Member # 4699

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 10, 2006 08:57      Profile for Astronomer Jedi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who would win: Star Wars or Star Trek? [Geek] [shake head]

--------------------
Estne volumen in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre?

Posts: 606 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 13 posted March 10, 2006 09:01      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's not nice wasting people's time like that. What an annoying and inconsiderate thing to do.

:cranky o' geek:

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
anglodan
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 4969

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted March 11, 2006 10:37      Profile for anglodan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice,thanks for the response so far.. we gettin some interesting ideas to work with. keep em comin [Applause]
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 11, 2006 11:12      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Metasquares:
So which do you prefer, vi or emacs?

If you get a real geek on the phone, you're never going to hear the end of it [Smile]

Metasquares - hmm? Unless you can try and present an intelligent rebuttal, you're just going to hear "vi - vim to be specific," and then the phone will hang up. [Wink]

anglodan - 'good responses, keep it coming?' You really aren't reading how opposed to your sick project most of us are?

Yoda like, that sentence structure was.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
anglodan
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 4969

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted March 11, 2006 12:02      Profile for anglodan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well first of all its nice to see some responses on the forum.. as a new member I signed up here after searching around for a suitable site to do a bit of research on... and if the topic has created some talkability then i'm gettin the desired effect. Good or bad comments will help me to piece together parts of what we're tryin to achieve on the feature.

To the person who said " I would say, as a geek, that geeks are more intelligent than to randomly call up people and annoy them " Yes you are absolutly right you probably are more intelligent than to do that - thats part of the reason why we're doing it because it goes against the stereotype.. and our target audience will buy into it, especially as 'geek culture' seems to be a rising fashionable trend. A recent text/phone in feature which we did was 'Whats the secret geek in you' and we had a phenomenal response from people who admitted to doing all sorts of things, it was a lot of fun, and this is the next step in the feature.... Its nothing too serious (the whole thing is just a throwaway concept to have on between a coupla songs) just a bit of fun so please don't take it to heart! I just assumed a website I found called geekculture would be the perfect place to ask the question [Smile]

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 11, 2006 12:06      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, if you want to keep people on the line for hours and hours....

"I'm Fred Nurke from Microsoft Customer Relations, and we're doing a survey on what people like or dislike about our products..."

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10668 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lynners
Newbie Larva
Member # 4975

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted March 12, 2006 19:12      Profile for Lynners     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
"I'm Fred Nurke from Microsoft Customer Relations, and we're doing a survey on what people like or dislike about our products..."

Lol, nice one...

Only thing i would have to add here are: "talk Nerdy to me" <-- dont know if that classifies but its a badge i have.
and one my Bf gave me "The funny thing about salt is, its ionic" or something like that o.0
I'll get some more... I basicly live around 2 science geeks.

--------------------
Thank god for Christians

Posts: 9 | From: Australia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture