homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » What is strength?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What is strength?
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 09, 2006 00:33      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Today has been a trying day. But a few things have transpired that made me want to ask this.

What makes a person strong?

By that I mean what makes people able to handle what life throws at them. And then others buckle under the pressure. How can two people that have lived similar lives wind up so very different at their ability to cope?

Are people just born predisposed to make it, while others were not? Or does life make us strong or weak? Or perhaps a mix of both.

And can someone that is weak become strong?

I have asked myself this question a lot lately, and haven't found an answer that seems to be right.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Metasquares
Highlie
Member # 4441

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 09, 2006 05:24      Profile for Metasquares   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that some of it is your personality, but other parts of it are the experiences that you've gone through. It sounds cliche, but if you've had a challenging life, it tends to make you stronger.
Posts: 664 | From: Morganville, NJ | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 09, 2006 08:12      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Metasquare, but I would like to add that while some people value strenght, other value resilience. Better bend than break, that kind of things. When one has no one to turn to, or have too much pride to ask for help, and think they have to be perfect and support everything without fail, one is bound to break at some point. People who acknowlege their weaknesses and allow themselves to fail usually support life more easily.

But that's just my theory.

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 09, 2006 09:48      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe that inner strength comes down to a decision to continue despite fears and failures (in a lot of ways, it's being just plain stubborn). I think a weak person can become strong, but it has to be their own choice.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted March 09, 2006 14:57      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shroom,

It starts with a strong desire to wake up tomorrow morning.

After that, everything else seems to fall into place.

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 09, 2006 16:21      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know. Perhaps I was just giving it all too broad of a stroke. Or perhaps I am asking a question that most people are afraid to ask themselves.

Perhaps the most insightful, to me, was the CP's. But even that is lacking to me in a way.

Is it a subject that confounds or frightens? Is this something that sits in the category of "it just is?"

I understand that the type of strength I am referring to, is the ability to continue another day. No matter what is raining down.

But where does this come from. Many people that breakdown have a desire and want to make it through another day. But when they fall, they won't get up. Or those that lose their way in life. How?

Where does the strength come from? Where does the desire come from? Why is the will to keep going so much more intense in some people?

I don't live life like many people do or can. But generally I get up and I just do whatever is in front of me. Sometimes happily, other times begrudgingly. But I do it. And then I see others that are going through similar things fail and give in. And I watch this dance with I want more, and I can't do more. And I wonder at what the fundamental difference is?

Yeah a life with adversity can create strength. But think of those success stories of stars and scholars that were raised in terrible conditions. Surely there were other people from the same neighborhood, with the same friends, raised in mirrored households, wind up living such different lives. Where did one gain the strenth to do more and the other fail?

--------------------
Has one of us confessed?
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted March 09, 2006 17:47      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In my case, at least, most of my strength seems to come from gaining perspective. I've been through a lot of crappy things in life and, no doubt, more will happen. When they do, I tend to look back into my past and there's usually something even worse that I've survived.

That's partly a useful way of lying to myself, however, because I'm usually focused on an individual aspect of what I'm going through and comparing it to much larger scale events of the past (i.e. two months of recovery from nearly dying compared to many years of poverty while growing up).

Not exactly the most sane way of coping, but it's seen me through some amazingly bad experiences with minimal emotional drama.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 09, 2006 18:54      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've asked myself this same question. CP's got it about right - in the end it comes down to how willing you are to keep putting one foot in front of the other no matter what the terrain looks like. I think your personal threshold for suffering plays a role - ever noticed how what makes someone else miserable will go completely unnoticed by the person next to them? I have no idea where that threshold comes from. It can't be a simple question of upbringing 'cuz there's a huge variation across my family and I'm willing to bet it's the same for others.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 7 posted March 09, 2006 20:23      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shroom,

We are all weak. The strength lies in accepting that truth.

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 09, 2006 21:14      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Colonel Panic:
Shroom,

CP

Very true CP, very true.

I guess I am at a point here I wish I understood where it comes from. I know that it exists and that the aceptance and wililngness are the physical manifestations of it. I just wonder where the actual strength that makes it possible. The root of it lies. Not the visible aspects of it. But where does it well up from.

In myself, I can say it comes from a sense of duty, and a whole lot of anger. A insatiable need to never give in or give up.It is a part of my being. Something that has always been there. It lies there and it seems like my every decision goes through that layer. And what doesn't fit is dismissed.

Maybe it comes from the fact that there are people out there that would love to see my early end. And I just won't give them that pleasure. Or it could be that I have read too many books on philosphy. Or too many Bazooka Joe comics. I have no real idea.

--------------------
Has one of us confessed?
Buried in our chest

Metasquares
Highlie
Member # 4441

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 10, 2006 05:24      Profile for Metasquares   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Colonel Panic:
Shroom,

CP

And then defying it nevertheless, by working within your limitations to escape them [Smile]
Posts: 664 | From: Morganville, NJ | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture