homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Web hosting questions

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Web hosting questions
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted March 02, 2006 11:17      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm thinking about setting up a website for the MightyClub clan outside the comfortable, yet confining, womb of earthlink.net. The problem is I've never had to deal with registering a domain or finding a hosting company before. Also, I'm a Cheap Bastage. I'm sure there are plenty of GC folk that can set me straight.

My biggest question right now is centered around how the domain name and the web site interact. For simplicity let's say I'll choose a host that also provides registration services. When I browse to www.ugh-mightyclub.net does that resolve to an IP address specific to my site? What are URL cloaking and URL Forwarding? A FAQ for one registrar said they handle cloaking by embedding my site in a frame. What's up with that? I want my site to be in the _top frame. Are cloaking and forwarding only used in special circumstances?

The other question is whether any of you have heard of, dealt with, or cursed 1 & 1 hosting (www.1and1.com)? I'm willing to shell out around $60 per year between hosting and domain registration, and they have a $4.99/month plan that includes two free domain registrations. A gig or two of storage, a few gigs/month bandwidth, MySQL, CGI, Perl and PHP support are all I really ask for at this point. I found other hosts with slightly cheaper prices for similar features, but none of them offered registration directly.

Thanks for letting me pump ya'll for knowledge. I hate feeling like a n00b [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1742 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 02, 2006 12:05      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1and1 might be your best bet.. They're cheap.

URL cloaking by embedding the site in a frame is something I'm pretty sure people use when their actual website url is http://www.geocities.com/random/characters/here/that/are/far/too/long/tomake/any/realmemorable/use/out/of/12312313123.html

So you go to www.newshinyurl.com and get that ugly url up above instead, and it looks like it's hosted at newshinyurl aswell, and the browser bar shows that address, but it really isn't.

If you get your own domainname, it wouldn't be necessary.

As for you having your own IP for your site, that's very unlikely. Aside from IP addresses getting more and more difficult to come by, virtual hosting is an easily done and generally accepted practise nowadays, especially for hosting plans that run for $5/mo.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 02, 2006 12:44      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use ICDsoft.
No complaints.
The plans described on the web site are about to be upgraded to 750 MB storage and 15 GB/month bandwidth.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 02, 2006 13:06      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1and1 seems like a pretty good company from what I've seen.

Some of Dreamhost's plans blow my mind.

I know a number of people who are happy with ICDsoft, but I've yet to check them out.

Friendly plug for Tut: Check out ackoo.com! [Smile]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted March 02, 2006 13:18      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All you need to do, if I recall correctly, is register a domain name.

Then, you can use a free DDNS service to point that name to your home address, and set up a web server using port forwarding through your modem (assuming it is highspeed). This is the poor man's way of doin things, and would be a bad idea if you are expecting a lot of traffic, but only costs as much as a domain name registration.

Here is the DDNS service I use: freedns

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

Ugh, MightyClub
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 03, 2006 07:46      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, guys. When I said "an IP Address specific to my site" I really meant "directly to my webspace". I knew I wouldn't get a static IP. So with this virtual hosting business, is my domain likely to resolve to something like "www.1and1.com/some/ugly/url/that/might/include/my/domain/name/somewhere"? If that's the case then I guess I'd have to use the cloaking option.

ICDSoft, DreamHost and Ackoo all look good. Their plans are all priced a bit higher, which hopefully means better service & support. I'll probably go the cheap route for now, and reevaluate when it's time to renew the domain registration.

NWNF, I do have a cable modem, but the upload speed seems to be capped at a pretty low rate. Since the primary focus of our site will be to share family photos I don't think I can host my own site effectively. Thanks for the idea though -- maybe in another few years when the pipes get wider...

--------------------
Ugh!

Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted March 03, 2006 08:35      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi Ugh!

We have had great luck with 1 & 1, and are very happy with the server and service, (we use a dedicated server though)

If you do go with them, please use our affiliate link. :-)

http://www.1and1.com/?k_id=7193917

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 03, 2006 09:17      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I sure will, Snaggy. Is there a page somewhere with all your affiliate links? I knew you had one for Amazon, but I didn't know about your 1 & 1 affiliation. I found them via an ad in the Software Development magazine...

--------------------
Ugh!

Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 03, 2006 09:44      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The 1 and 1 one is on the geekculture home page... the banner at the bottom of the page. (Not too obvious, is it. [crazy] )

Yep, a page with all our affiliates would be a good idea.

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 03, 2006 12:42      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ugh, MightyClub: Thanks, guys. When I said "an IP Address specific to my site" I really meant "directly to my webspace". I knew I wouldn't get a static IP. So with this virtual hosting business, is my domain likely to resolve to something like "www.1and1.com/some/ugly/url/that/might/include/my/domain/name/somewhere"? If that's the case then I guess I'd have to use the cloaking option.
No, you've got it wrong. Let's try this explanation.

A proper web site needs 3 things - A registered domain name, a DNS provider, a web server. The domain registrar points at the DNS server. The DNS server gives the IP address of your web server, the web server provides pages.

1and1 can provide all 3 services, so that they will register your name, provide DNS and point at the web server. It works just they way you want with no cloaking crap. If you are too cheap to pay a monthly fee for hosting the server, you end up needing cloaking. Otherwise don't even think about it.

You also mentioned 'virtual hosting'. That is very simple. As many different domain names can all point at the same IP address. The web server listening to that address distinguished requests based on the host in the url. You will get a static IP, it just won't be a unique one.

Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 03, 2006 14:14      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by quantumfluff:
quote:
Originally posted by Ugh, MightyClub: Thanks, guys. When I said "an IP Address specific to my site" I really meant "directly to my webspace". I knew I wouldn't get a static IP. So with this virtual hosting business, is my domain likely to resolve to something like "www.1and1.com/some/ugly/url/that/might/include/my/domain/name/somewhere"? If that's the case then I guess I'd have to use the cloaking option.
No, you've got it wrong. Let's try this explanation.

A proper web site needs 3 things - A registered domain name, a DNS provider, a web server. The domain registrar points at the DNS server. The DNS server gives the IP address of your web server, the web server provides pages.

1and1 can provide all 3 services, so that they will register your name, provide DNS and point at the web server. It works just they way you want with no cloaking crap. If you are too cheap to pay a monthly fee for hosting the server, you end up needing cloaking. Otherwise don't even think about it.

You also mentioned 'virtual hosting'. That is very simple. As many different domain names can all point at the same IP address. The web server listening to that address distinguished requests based on the host in the url. You will get a static IP, it just won't be a unique one.

Oh, duh!

Thank you so much. You just shifted my brain into gear.

Something's been bugging me for awhile, and I've had a few ideas floating in my head, which led to an extended moment of confusion.

The short of it: You have probably shown that what I want to do will work - to make a subdomain that is outside of my control point to a vhost.

The longer story:
I know that Apache can handle virtual hosts, but for some reason, I had a mind block about the feasibility w.r.t. IP addresses. The confusion was caused by all the rhetoric I've seen about SSL & unique IP addresses. The issue in the latter is really about deficiencies in the SSL handshake, which are due to be fixed with SSL3, IIRC. The only issue for me would be whether the hosting plan I used would permit me to use the domain (a DynDNS subdomain) for a virtual host. With any luck, it would (I'm strongly considering going with Dreamhost).

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted March 03, 2006 19:19      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
The only issue for me would be whether the hosting plan I used would permit me to use the domain (a DynDNS subdomain) for a virtual host. With any luck, it would (I'm strongly considering going with Dreamhost). [/QB]

Dreamhost will let you use external DNS to set up a subdomain for your site. They are a biotch about it though. You have to add the parent domain to your plan as a regular domain with DNS off site (even though is-a-geek.com or w/e obviously isn't yours) and then they'll let you add the subdomain.

IDK, personally I would go with Ackoo [Wink] (Snaggy: Have you ever tried dealing with 1a1's dedicated server support staff? it isn't very fun... [Wink] we've since moved all of our servers to another DC - we've been with them for about a year now and they're much more presonable and much cheaper, drop me a line if you are interested)

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture