homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » WAN Access?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: WAN Access?
Bibo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 01, 2006 23:40      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have our 3 Macs connected to a wired router, I gave my wife a Nintendo DS for xmas, the DS has WiFi. I connected a WiFi router via its WAN port to the wired router to use with the DS (it works great!). My question is how do I access the WiFi router to change configurations? I initially connected the WiFi router to the cable modem to configure it, but now that it is connected to the wired router I can't access it using the IP address. If I want to make changes to the WiFi router will I have to connect it directly to the cable modem again?

The reason why I don't just use the WiFi router is I seem to have to restart the WiFi router weekly or bi-weekly, being in an apartment I could be getting interference from cordless phones or other WiFi routers. Th DS is not connected to wireless that often.

Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 01, 2006 23:52      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey bibo,

Here is how I set up mine here.

I have a WiFi router hooked up ina chain. Not through the WAN port but instead through one of the regular ethernet ports. But before I did this I turned off DHCP on the wireless. Then I gave it an IP that was .2 (My main router is .1 ) and then let the DHCP requests go to the main router.

That way I don't have any troubles accessing the two routers here at the apt.

If you want to use the WAN port still. Just turn on the ability to do remote administration. Then only allow your system to access it.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 02, 2006 02:04      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a moderately similar setup at home. FWIW, I can access the wireless router through the wires to configure it. I'm no networking guru though- I just accidently hit the airport admin utility by accident, it scanned the network and found the wireless router.

You might be able to get the wireless routers IP from the wired one. Mine has an "attached devices" page that will give you the IP (and a bit of description) of all the items it is serving.

Another choice would be wardriving with the DS. If you can pick up other peoples networks that they are too dumb/kind to secure, you may be able to use their bandwidth for mariokart.

Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 02, 2006 08:59      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the info, I've switched my connection on the WiFi to the LAN port. I'll have to play around later with switching the IP address & DCHP so I can access it again.
Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 02, 2006 15:57      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A word of warning bibo. If both routers are configured using DHCP, you can run into conflicts. Especially if they both are using the same IP scemes and gateways.

IMNSHO, it will be better to disconnect the WiFi router from the network and then configure it alone before connecting it to your other router.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 03, 2006 12:49      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bibo: Another option is to put the wifi router in Access Point mode if you can. Assuming your first router is doing DHCP and NATing everything to 192.168.1.20+, you would set up the wifi box so it has fixed address 192.168.1.2 (or anything not in the DCHP range). Then, both the access point and the DS box will appear just as other nodes on your net.

Be sure to use the most inconvenient, highest level encryption your wifi setup provides.

Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture