homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » New iMac owner wants to prove her hubby wrong-please help! (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: New iMac owner wants to prove her hubby wrong-please help!
Kim P
Newbie Larva
Member # 4941

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted February 28, 2006 09:33      Profile for Kim P     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My husband is giving me a hard time about switching to a Mac and I'd like to give him some hard evidence that well, I'm right! Is there any place that I can get a list of why Macs are better than Windoze-running machines?
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 28, 2006 10:23      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Start with Apple's switch pages, then move on with any site with "mac" in their name or from mac user groups (like www.bmug.org), then google "why mac". You should find plenty.

But still, I prefer to discuss why Macs are better for {me/someone else/some specific need or task} rather than go to the generalities, because, after all, no computer is the best for everyone.

Anyway, have fun.

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
-ct-
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted February 28, 2006 10:24      Profile for -ct-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you're not and there aren't

hadda get that in before the bashers come along

you're in the WRONG forum to ask this question, as this entire site (inc. forum) is hellishly anti-windows
i may be one of the only ones here who will support windows, and say (properly configured) is much better than mac

--------------------
Things are always darkest... just before you pull your head out of your butt, void where prohibited, keep away from flame, surcharge(s) may apply.

www.harddriveHELL.com and demoniclemon.com

Posts: 1906 | From: nowhere, man | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Mac D
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted February 28, 2006 10:39      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Windows blows.

Show him This It just makes so much sence.

And yes I like windows bashing.

hehe

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 28, 2006 10:39      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by -ct-:
i may be one of the only ones here who will support windows, and say (properly configured) is much better than mac

Except when the hard drive catches fire.
[Razz] [Wink]

Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 28, 2006 10:45      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ct_______________Chevy,ford,dodge,etal. It doesn't really matter. Most home computer makers use quality components, that said pcs are easier to get into the real workings, assembly code, macs that stuff is hidden, and harder to get to, however with the proper edu it can be done. Now on to the OS, I began on Unix with Unigraphics, So I found the Mac layout easier to navigate, however my wife has a Winblows machine that I have to keep up to snuff. Most of the time she uses her iMac(OS9) unless someone sends her a file that is Windows spec. (powerpoint) I use Ubuntu and am quite happy with its interface, I also use Damn Small Linux, Puppy, Anonym.OS, and Knoppix Marv's hamshack hack. So who makes the best, It depends, on what you are trying to do.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 28, 2006 13:20      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am well known on this board as a serious Mac "fanboy" and yes to me "Macs are just better"...

However if the Viruses, Spyware, Trojans and Adware are not enough for you you can look at Macs vs PCs Info - perhaps a bit dated now and much of it may be pitched towards bigger deployments than 1 Mac but still worth a read.

If it is a major app in the Windows world then it is very likely it is also available in the Mac world regardless of what the FUD merchants tell you.

If you don't want to sport out for Microsoft Office for Mac then OpenOffice.org will run under X11 rather nicely now (used to be a bit of a pain to set up but the latest version is not) and supports PowerPoint etc. and if you don't want to be mucking about with X11 then NeoOffice J should also do the job.

Yes there are some apps that are only available for Win - Sage Accounting and the like for example... but if this is the only reason for using the machine there is obviously little point in switching anyway.

The biggest blow for a longtime Win user switching to Mac is not the OS, or learning curve or any of that but the need to replace all of the software... which if you have large amounts of expensive pro apps can be prohibitive. If however you are just an "average" user (web/email/photos/IM/Word Processing/Drawing/etc.etc. you will find equally good options on Mac for free or very little. If you are really interested in this aspect use the PM feature to tell me the Apps you use now and I will endeavour to point you to the equivalents on Mac or free/low cost alternatives.

Feel the force and "come over to the light side..." [Smile]

Truth is if you want to go Mac just do it... (as Nike like to say).

[Big Grin]

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted February 28, 2006 13:26      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I was a PC user, I thought that PCs made sense. Now that I have left the Dark Side, using a PC just seem to be doing things the hard way.

Not a technical argument, granted, but one that I believe many people will find valid.

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted February 28, 2006 13:28      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GMx:
quote:
Originally posted by -ct-:

Except when the hard drive catches fire.
[Razz] [Wink]

Priceless G....priceless.

Kim, your profile lists interests as: Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator

Walk into any design shop, newspaper, graphics shop and look what they are using; Mac.

Anywho, you are your own woman. Buy a Mac and make him sleep on the couch until he figures out you are right.

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 28, 2006 14:28      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Vic you are as always the Gold Standard...

When is your birthday again? Must be soon surely?

Arse pics for Cap'n Vic time? PM me with details.... (!) (T)
[Big Grin]

[Wink]

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
magefile
Highlie
Member # 2918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 28, 2006 14:53      Profile for magefile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Serenak:
If you don't want to sport out for Microsoft Office for Mac then OpenOffice.org will run under X11 rather nicely now (used to be a bit of a pain to set up but the latest version is not) and supports PowerPoint etc. and if you don't want to be mucking about with X11 then NeoOffice J should also do the job.

Slooooooooooow. And I say that as a Mac user. I'm still looking for a decent alternative (besides LaTeX, that is - I love my chainsaw, but I want a butter knife, too).

--------------------
Let them be stupid - the market will sort it out.

Posts: 743 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 28, 2006 15:15      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cap'n Vic:
[
Walk into any design shop, newspaper, graphics shop and look what they are using; Mac.

Not just the pro designers either. Every lab in this department has at least one Mac on hand for graphics; structure labs like mine typically have more.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted February 28, 2006 16:21      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Serenak:
Hey Vic you are as always the Gold Standard...

When is your birthday again? Must be soon surely?

Arse pics for Cap'n Vic time? PM me with details.... (!) (T)
[Big Grin]

[Wink]

Oh yes!!!

You missed it by 6 weeks......and it was the BIG one 40! Surely that warrants an arse pic or 10......non-gaussian blurred this time [Big Grin]

That's right folks.....send your personalized arse pics to capnvic(at)gmail dawt calm I'll post the best here!

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
ARJ
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 157

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 28, 2006 16:28      Profile for ARJ   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think there's any universally correct evidence that one OS/architecture is better than another. It depends on a) what you're using the system for, b) how you think and what type of computing environment you want, c) what your limitations or requirements are.

If you want to play the latest games, it's probably not prudent to buy a Mac.

If you're concerned about security, you may want to avoid Windows, unless you're really sure you know what you're doing with security precautions.

If you want to switch from one environment to another, consider: what software you'd be losing, what peripherals might not be compatible with the new system, how easy it will be to migrate data.

I'm pretty OS agnostic. We run Mac OS X, Windows XP, and Ubuntu Linux at home. All have their uses. Spend some time getting as much information as you can to decide what the best tool is for what you want & need.

Plus, if you want to switch to a Mac for your own personal use, then why is your husband being fussy? Or would this be a shared machine?

--------------------
Katie West: Well done steak? Really?

Warren Ellis: Yes. Because MAN COOK MEAT WITH FIRE UNTIL IT NO CRY ANY MORE THEN EAT IT DEAD

Posts: 1197 | From: Sydney, NSW, AU | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Swiss Mercenary

Member # 330

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 28, 2006 17:04      Profile for Swiss Mercenary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
<Thread Highjack>

Hey ARJ, great to see you back, what have you been, how are things, life, the universe?
[Beard of Peter Gabriel!]
</Thread Highjack>

--------------------
Evil AI at work.
I am Swiss of Borg. Holes are irrelevant, cheese will be assimilated!

Posts: 2275 | From: All the way from the land of Chocolate, Cheese and Cuckoo Clocks. | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
ARJ
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 157

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 28, 2006 20:03      Profile for ARJ   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Swiss Mercenary:
<Thread Highjack>

Hey ARJ, great to see you back, what have you been, how are things, life, the universe?
[Beard of Peter Gabriel!]
</Thread Highjack>

Hi Swissy! [Smile]
<Re-route>
This says it all, mostly.
</Re-route>

--------------------
Katie West: Well done steak? Really?

Warren Ellis: Yes. Because MAN COOK MEAT WITH FIRE UNTIL IT NO CRY ANY MORE THEN EAT IT DEAD

Posts: 1197 | From: Sydney, NSW, AU | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 01, 2006 03:17      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kim P. __________________If you are doing work that requires exact color match then the Mac is the only way to go. They have this little ap in the system folder called color sync that works, take your photo match the screen to an object in the picture, my wife and I will match to the clothes we wore in the picture or in an other that day and time (sun angle) once we have matched that, the rest of the picture comes out good.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
angryjungman

Member # 2434

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 01, 2006 05:58      Profile for angryjungman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My dad has been using Microsoft OSes since the MS-DOS days and I just got him to buy an iBook. He's an amateur photographer and what finally pushed him over the edge [besides my nagging] was the Photoshop class he took. They used Macs. Now that he has one, I think the thing that amazes him most is installing new software: double click .dmg, drag icon to your Applications folder and you're done [in most cases]. Need to uninstall? Just delete it from you Applications folder [in most cases].

The thing that I really like about Macs vs. PCs is the availability of free/low cost *quality* software. Every new Mac comes with iLife. Those apps are just incredible. I'd like to see Dell include anything even remotely as cool. Since OS X is a Unix OS, all of those apps that have been developed for *nix are easily available for me to use. Hell, a bunch of them come with the OS. And if I need something that's shareware, I feel more secure using Mac shareware than Windows shareware; it's generally not something some kid whipped up with VB6 that includes a hidden keylogger. [Wink]

And OS X is far and away the best OS I have ever used.

--------------------
Meh.

Posts: 633 | From: princeton, nj | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
RScottV

SuperFan!
Member # 3540

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 01, 2006 07:15      Profile for RScottV     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just let the Mac speak for itself. Eventually, he will be seduced by its awesome beauty.

That being said, here is a true story from just this morning:

1. Need to bring lecture from home (Mac) to work (Windows XP)
2. Inserted thumb drive into the Mac. It appears on the desktop. I drag the file to the drive. I control click on the drive and choose "eject."
3. Remove the drive and take to work.
4. Insert drive into the Dell computer.
5. Windows asks if I want to play the sound file that is also on the drive.
6. I have to choose "ignore."
7. The drive is not on my desktop. I have to go to "My Computer" and find it there.
8. Drag file off of thumb drive into the proper folder.
9. Time to eject. Right click on the drive and choose "eject." Wait. Hmmmm, it is still there. Is it safe to remove it? Wait some more. Hmmm, maybe I'll try "Safely remove hardware" from the task bar.
10. List of 3 items appear. (All are different descripitions of the same thumb drive!) Choose one to "safely remove."
11. Windows tells me the drive is in use (even though I didn't open or run anything on the drive.)
12. Yank the drive out, hoping my data will be just fine.

sigh!

Posts: 211 | From: Saint Paul, MN | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 01, 2006 07:35      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
RScottV - one quick item about Windows and USB Mass Storage.

This is totally counter-intuitive and most people don't know it:
LEFT-click the "Safely Remove Hardware" icon in the tray, and choose 'Safely Remove USB Mass Storage Device - Drive(E:).' (Name/letter may vary) Everything in the Windows world would suggest that you right-click a tray icon, but right-clicking that one will put you through hell to eject the damn thing.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
RScottV

SuperFan!
Member # 3540

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 01, 2006 07:59      Profile for RScottV     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks dMan! You are always quick with the good tech advice. I will remember that for next time.
Posts: 211 | From: Saint Paul, MN | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 01, 2006 08:35      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Until 3 years ago, I was a PC geek, windows and Linux.
Then Mrs Druid got a Mac, because all the cool arty types in the masters course she was doing kicked sand in her face when they saw her using a PC.

I was amazed, as a professional geek I know my way around windows pretty well, and yet the mac is just so much nicer to use. It took a while to get used to, I kept expecting things to be fiddly, and being surprised when they were so easy. It's hard to describe, as it's a combination of little things, like RScottV's story about the thumb drive, it just works.

We're now a 3 mac and 2 PC household (of 4 people) and if it hadn't been for Apples impending move to Intel chips, my most recent PC laptop purchase would probably have been a Mac Powerbook instead.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ugurcan

Member # 4746

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 01, 2006 09:04      Profile for Ugurcan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Windows is a MacOS clone.. and a bad one it is..

I just learned that new Vista will have widgets.
I think m$ should stick to the keyboard and mice business. They are pretty good at it. [Big Grin]

-

--------------------
"Constants aren't, Variables won't..."

Posts: 219 | From: Under a 110 ft satellite dish... | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
Tom- geeking around

Member # 2876

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 01, 2006 09:18      Profile for Tom- geeking around   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I stand in defence of Windows XP here actually.
Before I explain why, please keep in mind that all OS's have their strong points and areas where they bring out their advantages the best.
What works for you will thus not necessarily work for me. You get the idea.
In the end, it all comes down to personal preference.

I own a G3 iBook, running Jaguar.
Apple brought out the last two OS's in pretty fast succession. Reminds me of Microsoft in it's old days. XP (after several updates) is now around 4 years old (IIRC). [Wink] Just keep that in mind, that you might need to buy updates for your computer in order to be able to run the latest software.

Also, Apple's products cost a lot for their performance in comparison to other computers. The really good computers really cost lots, while you can get a Win-Machine ( [Wink] with decent perfromance for not too many $$.
But they do look good, so design is definitely a factor, but you need to decide for yourself if you want to pay the premium for a good looking machine.

Keep in mind, that you need to buy ALL software again - a big investment!! Some hardware might not be compatible anymore as well...

At last, the OS: Some like it, some don't.
While it looks cute and cuddly, it reminds me more of a children's-learning-computer interface that is rather sluggish. It's pretty stylish though...

Stability:
Since you virtually cannot install custom hardware into your Mac, you only need one set of drivers, which enhances stability - Windows is ssaid to be pretty unstable, right?
Well, no - WinXP runs pretty smooth and I had less crashes with XP running more advanced applications in comparison with my Mac running basic apps (Mail/Firefox). I am not talking about crashes that need you to simply force quit an app, but rather brutally restart the machine with the power-on button. I actually can't remember when I had to do this the last time with my Windows machine, whereas it happens at least once a month with my iBook..

It all comes down to how sick of Windows you are and how much you want something "different" than the others have. While a Mac isn't a terrible choice at all, a lot of "advantages" are simply self-fullfilling prophecies that you created.

Keep in mind, most OS-comparisons are old and do not refer to Windows XP, which is the newest version (since 4 years [Wink] )...

Thomas.

P.S: My avatar is BECAUSE of the mac [Wink]

--------------------
Pizza and ginormous jugs is what I need!

Posts: 374 | From: Vienna | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted March 01, 2006 10:03      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tom- geeking around:
I stand in defence of Windows XP here actually.

Yeah, I know you said not to quote your post until you finish it, but, everyone, take a look at Tom's avatar... [Big Grin] Yes, he is a WinXP user! [evil] [Razz] [Wink]

(Sorry Tom, I just couldn't resist!)

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture