homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » English Geeks Needed (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: English Geeks Needed
MandysRad
Geek
Member # 4871

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 21, 2006 19:20      Profile for MandysRad   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to write a research paper for my senior English Class and I chose the topic of regional dialects to write on thinking it'd be easy. I chose to focus on "Hello" and other ways to greet people as well as commonly heard phrases in different parts of the country (USA) that all mean the same thing.

Oh how foolish I was. I cannot seem to find ANY helpful sites. If someone could help me or point me in the right direction it'd be appreciated.

Here are the questions I need to answer specifically.

Topic of Research Paper:

Different Greetings and Phrases Throughout the USA

1. How does the word hello vary through the country?

2. Where do these variations come from?

3. What are other commonly heard phrases in different states that all mean the same thing?

4. How much do countries of origin effect the speech of American's from different states today?
(IE How does having a predominately French background effect the way people from Louisiana speak?)

5. What are other slang terms have entered our culture in through other sources (IE books, popular television shows, songs)?

--------------------
{insert something witty}

Posts: 110 | From: My mummies basement | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted February 21, 2006 20:06      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, here in montana the standard greeting is simply 'hi' or 'hey'.

One thing you may want to look in to is the different terms for pop- that's what it is here, but out east it's called 'soda', and down south everything is called 'coke'.

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted February 21, 2006 20:14      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rather than trying to approach the entire United States, you might select certain regions as examples. That would allow you to select particular greetings to find the source of without the scope of the research becoming overwhelming in the process.

There is an online etymology dictionary that would probably be a good source of starting material. You could then flesh out each greeting you chose with further research.

You might also look at the Wiktionary, but double check any 'facts' you get there to be sure it's not just someone making things up. The results for a Google search on "slang etymology" look like they might be helpful too.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 21, 2006 20:32      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you tried using "dialect" as one of your keywords? Years ago I somewhere read about the New England dialect and accent being heavily influenced by a foreign country (probably a British region) while the southern dialects are based on some other country (or another British region maybe). Sorry I'm vague, it was a very long time ago. The point I'm trying to make is that the info is out there, and must have made the leap to cyberspace by now. The key is to find the right search terms...

Also, I second Steen's advice -- try to narrow your focus to one or two regions and go in depth. You may be surprised how much mileage you can get from a seemingly laser-focused topic.

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1739 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 21, 2006 22:54      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
G'day !

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10669 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 22, 2006 01:06      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm a hoosier by birth. (born in Indiana) I guess the regional dialect for hello here is "hey" pronounced "a"

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 22, 2006 01:08      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pennsylvania Dutch: Whaddaya say?

Philly: 'Sup? (Curt head nod.)

Corporate: Hey. How ya doin'. (Note: Not a true question 'cause they keep walking briskly without waiting to hear your answer.)

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
..er..
Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 4926

Icon 1 posted February 22, 2006 02:49      Profile for ..er..     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"..How much do countries of origin effect the speech of American's from different states today?
(IE How does having a predominately French background effect the way people from Louisiana speak?).."

affect the speech / the way people ..etc.

(..That's an effect, or affectation, of my English upbringing!..) ..doh: Sorry!

Posts: 10 | From: London, England, roughly.. | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 22, 2006 08:37      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, no, the Grammer Police are out!

IIRC, an effect is something that happens as a result of some event. A noun is affected by this event.

--------------------
Ugh!

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 22, 2006 10:54      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ugh, MightyClub:

IIRC, an effect is something that happens as a result of some event. A noun is affected by this event.

Gorram it....it's "Grammar!"

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
GameMaster
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 22, 2006 12:45      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by nerdwithnofriends:
Well, here in montana the standard greeting is simply 'hi' or 'hey'.

One thing you may want to look in to is the different terms for pop- that's what it is here, but out east it's called 'soda', and down south everything is called 'coke'.

soda is a midwest thing... Wisconsin has a language all their own.

We have bubblers, which are not foutians but people everywhere else call them "drinking fountians."

Southern Milwaukee, in the polish areas, and in the "U.P." talk with added words that don't add to the sentence:
"Get me a beer, while your up, yet, once, hey." = "While you are up, can you get me a beer?"

"which yur ugly mug" = "Your ugly (in the face)"

"There's a little bit of snow" = "There's a blizard, schools in most states would be closed, but we're used to it... suck it up."

"It's a blizzard!" = "You can't see an inch in front of your face, the snow covers your door completely"

"Hey." = "How are you." = "what's up?" = "'sup?" = "yo." = "Hello"

Mandy, you might want to look an old school-yard song "There are Many Ways to Say 'Hello'"

--------------------
My Site

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Matias
Highlie
Member # 4216

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 22, 2006 13:01      Profile for Matias   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here are some from my household/culture. This is how we greet each other.

Hola= Hello

Que pasa/Que paso: What's up/What's happening?

Como estas?: How are you?

Oh, and we also say one of the above followed by a kiss on the cheek for each person we greet.

Ummmm...as I think of more I will add them. I am having a brain fart right now for some dam reason.
[Mad]

--------------------
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Posts: 516 | From: The Land of the mouse.... | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 22, 2006 14:23      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Re: soda vs. pop.

I recall seeing a map somewhere showing the breakdown of soda vs. pop across the US. The thing to remember is that sometimes it's divided within the states. Case in point: Pittsburgh says pop but Philly says soda, so you see both of those in State College (center of the state), depending on who's speaking/writing.

I just say "soft drink" and avoid the issue completely. [Razz]

--------------------

drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 22, 2006 14:49      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Around here if you say soda, people will look at you funny.
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
ChildeRoland
Alpha Geek
Member # 3880

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 22, 2006 15:45      Profile for ChildeRoland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm from Kansas (mid-west) and I grew up saying 'pop.' I've heard of, but not seen, that map as well.

--------------------
=====================
Childe Roland

Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 22, 2006 15:50      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.popvssoda.com/

map by county

--------------------

SpazGirl
Assimilated
Member # 4915

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 22, 2006 18:24      Profile for SpazGirl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, Kris says "pop", but I personally say "soda". So there's a difference in the same city.

--------------------
Things, and things.

Posts: 465 | From: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 22, 2006 18:28      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:
I just say "soft drink" and avoid the issue completely. [Razz]

See, told you you'd assimilate into Australian culture just fine [Razz]

Still confused as to why TFD went for "G'day" rather than "G'day mate!"

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 22, 2006 19:54      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
quote:
Originally posted by Ugh, MightyClub:

Gorram it....it's "Grammar!"
Ack! How ironic -- I'm usually one to holler at other people for mispelling 'grammar' [blush]

Um... yeah... actually, I was referring to the Kelsey Grammer Police. Turns out Kelsey is quite pedantic about proper usage of 'affect' vs. 'effect' vs. 'a fact' vs. 'AFLAC' vs. 'Affleck'.

Hey, look! A zebra!

/me whistles nonchalantly

--------------------
Ugh!

Metasquares
Highlie
Member # 4441

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 22, 2006 20:44      Profile for Metasquares   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's "soda" throughout the entire New York metropolitan area.
Posts: 664 | From: Morganville, NJ | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 23, 2006 07:30      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most people in Ithaca say "soda" but in Buffalo people drink "pop".

On the (somewhat) related subject of accents, I saw a hypothesis that letters can neither be gained nor lost throughout the USA as a whole. For example, the R's dropped from the end of words in Boston ("Battah up!") migrate to Texas ("Erl well").

--------------------
Ugh!

Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 23, 2006 08:49      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you want to hear an authentic UK regional dialect, listen to the miners from the Forest of Dean in this 15 minute long Radio feature. Sadly really rich and distinctive local voices like this are disappearing fast. All the boys of school age in my part of the UK look up to, and ape the language of US gangster rappers. The local Sussex accent has pretty much completely gone, and has been replaced by variations of the ugly London accent. Most rural accents seem to have been replaced by urban ones, because I suppose, we think of urban people as being more sophisticated.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
MandysRad
Geek
Member # 4871

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 23, 2006 12:43      Profile for MandysRad   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dragonman97 said gorram! That's a Firefly/Serenity referance! [Smile]

And thank you so so so so so much guys. I've just been googling on things like "Slang words in America" and the past day or say trying my luck at different sites with "American Regional Dialect".

I think I am going to have to revise my topic slightly or maybe just find specific people from different areas of the state at forums like them and ask them what they're area dialect is like.

As for the soda vs pop thing: When I was little and lived in Baltimore I was raised to say soda but when I was moved back to Ohio everyone said pop so I begin to switch between the two. Now I find I prefer saying pop as I'm far to lazy to say the two-syllable word that is "soda".

--------------------
{insert something witty}

Posts: 110 | From: My mummies basement | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 23, 2006 12:57      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by csk:
Still confused as to why TFD went for "G'day" rather than "G'day mate!"

I'd only just met Mandy, it was a bit too early to 'mate' with her [Wink]

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10669 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
The-Tech
Geek
Member # 2506

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 24, 2006 10:37      Profile for The-Tech     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mandy ...
You could also add Hoagie Sub Hero Sandwich Po' Boy to the list with Soda Pop Coke ...

As for saying hello ... In the Bronx we just say "gimme your wallet" [Razz]

Dave

--------------------
God not only plays dice with the universe,
he sometimes throws them where they cannot be seen
--- Stephen Hawking

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject -- Winston Churchill

Posts: 128 | From: Third Stone from the Sun | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture