homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Custom wallplates.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Custom wallplates.
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 12, 2006 15:05      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am looking to put all of my computers in the basement of my house, and buy a new desk to put in the corner in the living room directly above them. I am going to pick up a KVM to hook all the computers up to, and 30' KVM, RCA, and USB cables so I can have only my usb devices, monitor, keyboard & mouse upstairs, making it look very clean and sexy.

I am OK with drilling a small hole in the wall, and letting the cables all come out of that, but I'd much rather put in a wallplate that contains:

2 RCA (female to female)
1 HD15 (female on the front, male on the back)
1 USB (female to female), and
2 RCA (female to female)

on the wall, and then be able to just plug my devices directly into that. That'd be dead sexy.

Does anyone know of any places that would sell such a thing (and at a reasonable price, may I add.)? Do they have a website? E-mail?

Note: I've tried a google search of every permutation of hd15, wall, plate, mount, wallplate, ps/2, ps2, keyboard, monitor, mouse, rca, usb, connector on google, and if it's come up in the first 3 pages of results, then I've already checked it. I've contacted one company that does them custom, but they appear to be more larger-sized, and probably won't be interested in filling my measly order of one (or even at a decnt price.)

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted February 12, 2006 15:22      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd check Active Surplus on Queen Street in Toronto, they might have something.

If you can't find any, maybe you could salvage parts from no-longer working equipment?

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 12, 2006 16:27      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm a big fan of Leviton jacks - not sure if they have all the parts you need, but they do make some nice connectors and plates.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted February 12, 2006 20:09      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hubble has got the shit. We built our own place a few years back and I wired it to the tits.

You can get a 2, 4, 6 or 8 port face plate (single gang) or more on a double gang (below) and pop the desired fitting into it. Blanks can fill the unused ports. Most commercial electrical suppliers, like EECOL sell these (usually you need a contractors permit to buy) or look under 'premise cabling' in the Yellow Pages.

-

-

-

-

THe HD15 might be a stretch though.

This mud ring will fit into a hole you cut into the drywall, the flanges bend back to make a snug fit. The comein single and double gang.

-

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Samantha
Maximum Newbie
Member # 4852

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted February 13, 2006 04:42      Profile for Samantha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would have tackled this by getting a blank face plate and cutting holes into it to mount connectors (or, rather, I would have got colleagues in the workshops with access to CNC machines to do this.) However, Cap'n Vic's connectors look cute.

How exactly are you intending to do your cabling? Is your KVM going to be one of these everything-over-ethernet jobs or are you just using very long extension leads? If so you may get problems with signal degradation, especially on the video. Don't forget that the technical maximum length for a USB cable is 10' (3m!)

Posts: 10 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 13, 2006 06:28      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Samantha:
How exactly are you intending to do your cabling? Is your KVM going to be one of these everything-over-ethernet jobs or are you just using very long extension leads? If so you may get problems with signal degradation, especially on the video. Don't forget that the technical maximum length for a USB cable is 10' (3m!)

High grade usb cable will easily go > 20'. VGA is specifically made to be able to go long distances (if shielded properly), and PS2 is a very simple signal that can easily go a pretty good distance anyway.

I have no problem picking up a USB signal strengthener should it not make it the distance I need (about 15')

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture