homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Free ipod?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Free ipod?
SilverBlade
Alpha Geek
Member # 3541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 29, 2006 07:19      Profile for SilverBlade   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't worry, no link here or anything!

I was just wondering exactly how legitimate are those "Sign up, refer and get your FREE iPod!" webpages?

Call me guillable or un-trustworthy.

--------------------
http://www.silver-blade.net

Posts: 303 | From: Hong Kong | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 29, 2006 07:51      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SilverBlade:

Call me gullible or un-trustworthy.

Well, SilverBlade, you asked for it:

You are gullible or un-trustworthy. [Wink]

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 29, 2006 08:04      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Quick Summary: They're a way for scumbag telephone marketing companies to get around the USAs 'do not call' list.

Longer Summary:
Tele-marketing had reached such plague proportions in the USA that even conservative politicians had to overcome their pro-business instincts and do something. So, the 'do not call' list was born, it's an offense for tele-marketers to call someone who's on this list, but there are a list of exemptions, including (not surprisingly) political parties and businesses which already have a 'relationship' with the individual called. The fine print of the iPod offers makes it clear that by entering the competition, you are establishing a 'relationship' with the company.

Of course, the vast majority of entrants will never receive an iPod, but they will get lots of phone calls during the evening offering them all manner of crap goods and services.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10460 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
alfrin
Uber Geek
Member # 3836

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 29, 2006 12:13      Profile for alfrin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Along time ago in the age where TechTV was still alive and The Screen Savers was still alive. Kevin Rose actually tried the freeipod.com one. And sure enough after all the hard crap of referrals and stuff, he actually got one. Basically you have to have a lot of free time and have to find someone with a lot of free time to refer. It's a big pain in the ass but it works.

--------------------
Art is Resistance / Resistance is Art

Posts: 813 | From: Nevada, USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
ChildeRoland
Alpha Geek
Member # 3880

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 29, 2006 13:00      Profile for ChildeRoland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've done offers by the same company that runs FreeIpods.com, at the site FreeVideoGames.com. I managed to get a GameBoy Advanced SP and a few games for around $20 total. If you can get the referrels it works, but it takes time.
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 30, 2006 05:10      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There was a fairly throrough blog about the subject somewhere on the web. I can't remember where it was, but the outcome was that the guy didn't get the iPod, and spent a long time on the phone to the company.
Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2014 Geek Culture® All Rights Reserved.