homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » digital piano/synth suggestions?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: digital piano/synth suggestions?
Nitrozac

Benevolent Dictator!
Member # 111

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted January 25, 2006 18:12      Profile for Nitrozac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been shopping around for a digital piano/synth, and the options out there are enormous! I'm currently favoring the Yamaha p90 or p140. The Mo8, which is synth and piano looks awesome, but a little expensive.

88 keys is a must.

Any music geeks out there with any of those models that would like to post a recommendation?

Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 25, 2006 22:46      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Nitro,

I can't recommend any in particular, but from what my friends have said, you can't go wrong with Yamaha, especially their weighted key models. Musician's Friend has reviews you can check out before you make your purchase.

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 26, 2006 03:10      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nitrozax___________________I have to agree with Rhonwyyn, there is no harder music to reproduce than piano electronicly, followed by pipe organ, and of course piano pipe organ dueos. Because Yamaha makes both electronic and grand pianos they have an interest in getting it right, I know they don,t do that in the same factory, but the company logo is still on the product. As to a given model, try many and go with what you feel comfortablle with.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Metasquares
Highlie
Member # 4441

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 26, 2006 04:28      Profile for Metasquares   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would also recommend Yamaha for electronic pianos.
Posts: 664 | From: Morganville, NJ | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 26, 2006 18:21      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nitro, we've been discussing this on my other board, FiddleForum. You'll have to register (I think) to read any of the threads, but here's one that may answer some of your questions.

Oh, right. And if you go with Yamaha, you can cut your price by buying a school or demo model. They have a program where a teacher gets to use a new Yamaha for a year or certain period of months, then they're sold to the general public (after first offering the teacher the option to buy). Granted, the instrument isn't brand new, but this way you can get a top-of-the-line model for about the price of a mid-line. [Smile]

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 27, 2006 04:36      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mine's a Technics. It's good, but sometimes, the noise of the keys moving annoys me.

My suggestion would be: when trying it, don't only play regularly. Play pianissimo to fortissimo, just to be sure the sound is good on all levels. That's what mine does good: they sampled the sound on many levels of strenght for each keys, rather than sampling once then adjusting the volume, so when you play fortissimo, you can actually hear the other "strings" resonnate.

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
GameMaster
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 27, 2006 09:43      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mine is a cheap Casio that doesn't have 88 keys. I just use it for a MIDI input device because my Zeta Synthony II is too sensitive for composition -- plus I got the keyboard first.

--------------------
My Site

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Titanium Warrior
Alpha Geek
Member # 1885

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 27, 2006 15:36      Profile for Titanium Warrior   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I own the p140. Love it. Where are you thinking of getting it from. Long and Mcquade often has great deals on them.

Cheers
-TiW

quote:
Originally posted by Nitrozac:
I've been shopping around for a digital piano/synth, and the options out there are enormous! I'm currently favoring the Yamaha p90 or p140. The Mo8, which is synth and piano looks awesome, but a little expensive.

88 keys is a must.

Any music geeks out there with any of those models that would like to post a recommendation?

--------------------
I used to have super powers until my therapist took them away.

Posts: 333 | From: Victoria, BC Canada | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture