homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Mac sound cards? General and specific...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Mac sound cards? General and specific...
CoffeeSmack
Mini Geek
Member # 3937

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 23, 2006 17:10      Profile for CoffeeSmack         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, so I'm curious about a PCI soundcard for my aging dual 1ghz Quicksilver G4.

First off, I know very little about sound cards for the Mac. Back in my old 486 days it was simple: To get any kind of digital sound you needed a Soundblaster or a Gravis Ultrasound, but at least those manufacturers gave you some flavor choices. But now it seems my options are very limited to an M-Audio 7.1 or 5.1 card. Are these the only cards available for the Mac? I can't seem to find anything else on Small Dog, Club Mac, etc.

Also, I suppose a more relevent question is if a sound card is worth it for me. Without explaining too much, let's just say I'm trying to take the pressure off my G4 and give as much work to the audio card. Is that even possible? Does it work the same way as a graphics card CPU?

I may be thinking about this in the wrong way. Perhaps somebody can set me straight?

Posts: 62 | From: Mount Joy, PA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
CoffeeSmack
Mini Geek
Member # 3937

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 23, 2006 17:13      Profile for CoffeeSmack         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh yes, and, would a sound card do just the opposite of what I was hoping for? Would adding a sound card actually slow down the G4?
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 23, 2006 19:07      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm... are you the fellow/girl who posted a question here a few months ago (to which I again did not have an answer) then disappeared for awhile? You didn't permit Private Messaging or e-mailing through the boards, so I said "hello" in that thread. Didn't hear from you, so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and say "hello" again.

Hello and welcome, fellow Lancastrian. My Y!M is Rhonwyyn100 and AIM is Rhonwyyn. Send me a message next time we're both on-line! [Smile]

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted January 23, 2006 19:45      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CoffeeSmack: Amazon sells the 7.1 model for $89, I'm sure you can find it cheaper if you shop around (*cough* pricewatch *cough*)
Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
CoffeeSmack
Mini Geek
Member # 3937

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 23, 2006 21:41      Profile for CoffeeSmack         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, Zeso. I have actually looked on Amazon already, and believe it or not, there are some people selling the same thing on eBay for like twenty dollars! Although come to think of it, it may be the 5.1 model, but it's still a good deal.

The question remains though, will I see a performance boost in my audio applications, or simply the intended audio effects/sounds? This question stems from an experience in which an aquaintance using a PC accidentally set a 3D game to use the EAX audio options and had (predictably) awful performance, although it still ran, surprisingly. He realized it was because he was using software acting as hardware and made the switch to the Miles Fast audio, after which everything was fine.

I'm curious to know if using a sound card will act the same way in which a 3D graphics card performs but for sound. That is, taking the load off the main processor for graphics. Or will more hardware simply add drivers to my OS to handle?

Anybody with an explanation? Thanks!

(p.s. Rhonwyyn, I remember your post from a while back - Sorry, I'm just very busy! Not ignoring anybody, really, just... preoccupied!)

Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 23, 2006 21:49      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, I WISH you had PMs enabled! I'm full of all sorts of questions, like:

How did you find GC?
What keeps you preoccupied in Lancaster?
What kind of graphic design do you do?
I'd laugh absolutely hysterically if you turned out to work for the same place I do. (We're a local company with a plethora of artists.)
Do you hang out with any other geeks? If so, where and how did you meet them?

...And associated "geeks in Lancaster County" questions!

[Big Grin]

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture