homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » How to grow longer hair without going crazy in the process? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: How to grow longer hair without going crazy in the process?
Spiderman

Solid Nitrozanium Superfan!
Member # 1609

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 20, 2006 05:53      Profile for Spiderman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been thinking about growing my hair out a bit for quite some time, but can never seem to make it through the transition process.

My hair is currently something like my profile pic...not long, but on the longer side of short.

I'm looking to grow it to not quite shoulder length, but long enough that it could be considered...long. [Razz]

Question: Any tips for maintaining sanity along the way? As my hair gets longer, it's harder and harder to manage in terms of a shorter style, and until it makes it past that in-between stage, I'm going nuts.

I may be crazy for wanting to do this, but I find myself constantly experimental with things of this nature, and maybe I won't like it, in which case I'll have it all chopped off, but here's to trying. [Smile]

--------------------
Math problems? Call 1-800-[(10x)(13i)^2]-[sin(xy)/2.362x]

Posts: 846 | From: Chicago | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
angryjungman

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2434

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 20, 2006 07:11      Profile for angryjungman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have the same problem when it's getting on time for a haircut. I'm trying to remember what I did back in high school when I grew mine to my shoulders. I think I just parted it in the middle.

--------------------
Meh.

Posts: 633 | From: princeton, nj | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted January 20, 2006 07:47      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What about using hairpins? Nice ones, decorated with pink butterflies, maybe? [crazy] No? You sure? [Big Grin]

More seriously: buy a nice hat, and tuck your hairs in.

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted January 20, 2006 08:31      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Start listening to metal, it'll make your hair grow faster [Smile]
Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted January 20, 2006 09:04      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Having long and short hair on and off over the years I can tell you that there is nothing to get through the 'transition stage'. i.e. The stage where your bangs are just starting to get into your eyes until the front of your hair is long enough to finally reach pony tail length. Many guys, and some girls fall victim to the dreaded mullet at this point cutting their bangs and growing out the back.
Stick to your guns, a year from now it'll be all good.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 20, 2006 11:56      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember this from growing out my bangs. I used barettes. Why aren't boys allowed to do that?

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted January 20, 2006 12:02      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dude - you don't need to do anything, long hair just happens [Smile]

(well, yeah...it happens slowly, but nevertheless.... [Big Grin] )

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 20, 2006 12:06      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hum...

Well, my hair tends to be kind of long, but not obviously so. Right now, it's pretty near time to get it cut, as it's going over my ears (which I comb back a bit, and put my glasses over. I part my hair to the right, and with the natural tendency of my hair to curl/wave, it stays just fine atop my head. If I were to bring it down in front my face, I'd probably have sizable bangs, and look ridiculous right now. So basically, one could probably grow out bangs this way - keeping it tidy and parted to one side while it grows, and then parting it down the center once it's long enough not to look silly or something.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 20, 2006 12:09      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stereo:
What about using hairpins? Nice ones, decorated with pink butterflies, maybe? [crazy] No? You sure? [Big Grin]

More seriously: buy a nice hat, and tuck your hairs in.

Smart idea. [Smile]

And guess what you can wear?
http://www.geekculture.com/geekculturestore/webstore/caps.html

Hacker hats....more than just a cool fashion statement...they can be used for discrete hair alteration. [Wink]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zwilnik

Member # 615

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 20, 2006 12:26      Profile for Zwilnik   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
why wait for longer hair to grow. Just get extensions put in. After I ditched my 'metal' long hair in my early 20s I got bored of short hair and got braids put in as extensions. A lot less hassle than growing your own hair and you get a lot more options as to what they look like.

--------------------
The Universe is entirely made up of elements.
The most important of which is the element of surprise.

Posts: 1040 | From: West Sussex, UK | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted January 20, 2006 13:05      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You could always try for a medically induced coma

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted January 20, 2006 14:00      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
I remember this from growing out my bangs. I used barettes. Why aren't boys allowed to do that?

They are too allowed.

I cheated and often used sun glasses to keep my bangs out of my face. Sometimes, at home, when no one was looking I used a girlfriends head band thingy

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 6 posted January 20, 2006 14:21      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I consider myself somewhat of an expert on this topic...

The main trick is to NOT trim your bangs, because if you do, you won't be able to tie them back with the rest of your hair, and hair in the face is uber-annoying.

also, try and comb your hair regularly. Being a man, I fail to do this, and since my hair is so curly, it knots up very easily. This really isn't a problem until some hot little fraulein tries to run her fingers through your hair and they get stuck and it hurts like no other.

Oh, and use conditioner. Rinse, wash, condition, and repeat. Always repeat.

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

alfrin
Uber Geek
Member # 3836

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 20, 2006 17:23      Profile for alfrin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also am moving through this "transition" phase, though I'm getting near the mid point. For the past half a school year I've been growing my hair as much as I can without violating our school's "hair code" which stated no hair could touch your shoulders, could go halfway down your ears, and bangs couldn't go past your eyebrows. Well, they have officially removed the hair restrictions so I can now grow withuot fear, anyone have any tips for me? My hair is a bit longer than in my gallery picture.

--------------------
Art is Resistance / Resistance is Art

Posts: 813 | From: Nevada, USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Shadow
Assimilated
Member # 1558

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 20, 2006 18:01      Profile for Shadow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have found combing my hair back has helped a great deal when I was letting it get a bit longer. Now, I haven't grown my hair out much past the shoulder area but you would be surprised what you can get away with using a simple comb. If you find your hair becoming the subject of poetry as with Shel Silverstein's "My Beard", you are on your own. [crazy]

--------------------
I do but keep the peace: put up thy sword,
Or manage it to part these men with me. - Benvolio (Romeo & Juliet)

Posts: 415 | From: /dev/geek/ | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Spiderman

Solid Nitrozanium Superfan!
Member # 1609

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 21, 2006 16:34      Profile for Spiderman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A hat is in most cases, not an option. I'm a Software/Network Engineer working in a dressier-side-of-casual office. Somehow, I think a beanie would be frowned on. [Wink] Great option for after hours though. [Smile]

I've already come close a few times to running out and getting a haircut, but so far, I'm still managing to prevail.

Thanks for the input. I'll post h0t p1x if I survive long enough. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Math problems? Call 1-800-[(10x)(13i)^2]-[sin(xy)/2.362x]

Posts: 846 | From: Chicago | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 21, 2006 16:47      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spiderman:
A hat is in most cases, not an option. I'm a Software/Network Engineer working in a dressier-side-of-casual office. Somehow, I think a beanie would be frowned on.

Tell everyone you've become a devout worshipper of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, then tuck your hair up under a pirate hat.
If anyone complains, sue them for infringing your freedom of religion.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
supergoo

SuperFan!
Member # 2280

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 21, 2006 16:59      Profile for supergoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I was in the sixth grade I had my hair cut to about two inches below my ears, and in trying to grow my bangs out I used my brother's hair gel. I had a part in the side and I just gelled the bangs to the side of my forehead.

Now my hair is ~2 feet long, and is surprisingly low-maintenance. [crazy]

--------------------
Y los sueños, sueños son.

Posts: 675 | From: Boston 'burbs | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 21, 2006 17:23      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tell me about it goo. Mine's just a bit past my shoulders dry (mid-back when wet). That seems to be the stopping point as I haven't cut it in a long long time.

I've heard people sing the praises of their "easy to maintian" short hair styles until they find out I haven't seen the inside of a salon in about six years, and the only fancy hair tools I have are a brush and a collection of bands for my pony tail. I spend less money on my hair in a year than they do in one appointment. Who's got the low-maintenance style now? [evil]

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
YaYawoman

Member # 4505

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 21, 2006 17:50      Profile for YaYawoman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It isn't even the salon visits that is bad. I have had hair buzzclipped above the ears to present day length(1 1/2') Short hair took me 20 minutes to 45 minutes to wash, dry and style. Product, tools and time, yuck. Now if it is a bad hair day up in a scrunchie and go. Yay.
Posts: 765 | From: virginia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
CloneArmyCommander
Geek
Member # 4665

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 21, 2006 19:11      Profile for CloneArmyCommander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I've been thinking about growing my hair out a bit for quite some time, but can never seem to make it through the transition process.

My hair is currently something like my profile pic...not long, but on the longer side of short.

I'm looking to grow it to not quite shoulder length, but long enough that it could be considered...long. [Razz]

Question: Any tips for maintaining sanity along the way? As my hair gets longer, it's harder and harder to manage in terms of a shorter style, and until it makes it past that in-between stage, I'm going nuts.

My hair just grows into the Beatles style of hairdo, and it seems to stop there [Big Grin] . All I can do is just push it out of my eyes when I need to see [Big Grin] . Picture the sheep dog in the Bugs Bunny cartoons when he's guarding the sheep [Wink] .

Me, personally, I'm waiting for my mutton chops to grow in [Big Grin] .

TalibanSniper
Newbie Larva
Member # 4843

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 21, 2006 21:28      Profile for TalibanSniper         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Two words: Elmers glue. Oh, and mohawk. Make it three words.

--------------------
One shot, one kill

Posts: 7 | From: Behind you | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Luke Skywalker
Assimilated
Member # 3096

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 22, 2006 07:26      Profile for Luke Skywalker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
quote:
A hat is in most cases, not an option. I'm a Software/Network Engineer working in a dressier-side-of-casual office. Somehow, I think a beanie would be frowned on.

Tell everyone you've become a devout worshipper of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, then tuck your hair up under a pirate hat.
If anyone complains, sue them for infringing your freedom of religion.

Now there would be a good creation. HR would have a time with that.

--------------------
Use the Force, Luke.

Posts: 406 | From: The Line Between Time and Space | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Matias
Highlie
Member # 4216

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 22, 2006 10:04      Profile for Matias   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I too am trying to grow my hair out. I find leaving it alone and NO CUTTING is the best way to get what I want in the end. If you cut bangs than you cannot tuck your hair behind your ears and than you have to wait for that hair to grow back...annoying process. My goal is to get my hair past my ass. [Razz]

--------------------
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Posts: 516 | From: The Land of the mouse.... | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 22, 2006 10:17      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My goal is to get my hair long enough to donate to LocksofLove. I'm going to cut it once I pay off my car, but until then, it feels like it's taking forever! I've dyed it once already to break the monotony, but it's almost faded out completely. I bought a box of hair dye on Thursday, but the check-out machine wasn't working properly. I had to rerun my card and decided to put the box back before checking out the second time. I'm glad I saved the money, but I really want to get my hair cut. I'd cut out the layers, but then I'd have to wiat a few more months to donate it. [Frown]

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture