homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » i know this is a mac and *nix forum and you all sack-ride windows...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: i know this is a mac and *nix forum and you all sack-ride windows...
-ct-
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 209

Icon 5 posted January 18, 2006 19:43      Profile for -ct-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
but i have an issue i can't get help from google with

my pc fried itself

i have a dell i can put the drive into and go with that, but
i get that error on booting it, into safe or normal mode

typically, booting to cdrom into repair console and using fixmbr and fixboot console will allow me to load at least safe mode so i can then copy the hardware profile and give it a choice at startup which hardware profile to use

but it's not working that way right now, and i'm not sure why

i haven't come across this problem before

reloading windows is NOT an option, i will not kill my /windows folder - there's just too much in there i don't want to have to redo

so, if i stick this drive in an external enclosure (or make it d: on another system), what files and/or reg entries do i need to change to copy the hardware profile and give it the option at boot?

google fails at this inquiry

--------------------
Things are always darkest... just before you pull your head out of your butt, void where prohibited, keep away from flame, surcharge(s) may apply.

www.harddriveHELL.com and demoniclemon.com

Posts: 1906 | From: nowhere, man | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
GameMaster
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 18, 2006 20:06      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some Questions:

1.) Are you counting the drive as dead and just trying to get the data to another one?

2.) Have you run SpinRight and Dell Diagnostics on the drive?

3.) If it wasn't an NTFS partition, I'd suggest you use Knoppix to fsck the system -- but fsck is risky with NTFS. You may want to use dd and just dd the whole drive onto another drive and then use Dell Diagnostics, Norton Speed Disk and/or SpinRight on the new one.

As far as which windows system files do what - for XP, I'd be at a loss.

--------------------
My Site

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
-ct-
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted January 18, 2006 20:24      Profile for -ct-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the board and psu fried themselves, can't tell which cuased the other to go pbbbbbt, and it doesn't matter much

cpu, ram, and all cards and drives are perfectly fine, no problems

i'm taking the drive from this dead pc and putting it into a dell

trying to get to safe mode gets me "stop 0x0000007b"

allowing it to boot normal gets the same thing

booting to cdrom and going to recovery, then fixboot and fixmbr, then either safe or normal = same problem
normally, fixboot/mbr will allow me to get to safe mode and do w/e i need to from there

i'm looking for the right files/reg entries to modify, so to force a choice of hardware profiles at boot, or at least a secondary install of windows so as not to fuck up the current one - i might just get another of the same board

--------------------
Things are always darkest... just before you pull your head out of your butt, void where prohibited, keep away from flame, surcharge(s) may apply.

CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 18, 2006 20:51      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know -ct- I would hazard a gues and say that the chipsets have enough differences in them that you won't be able to get it to work unless you do a complete repair/reinstall of windows.

I know that you can go through the regular install process and then have windows do a repair. But I have always found that method buggy, to say the least. But it could allow you to get the information off the old drive and also get some of the user account settings that you want.

YMMV, FWIW, et al

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
-ct-
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted January 18, 2006 21:15      Profile for -ct-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yeah, i really don't want to do a full reinstall - i have just too much stuff on there already installed

112gb of aps and games etc.

--------------------

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 18, 2006 21:43      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
/me finds the inquiry kind of ironic after many exhibitions of Nick Burns' performances.

Shroom is right - back up, and wipe out the drive. Anything else is a recipe for disaster.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
GameMaster
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 18, 2006 22:05      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't suppose you have a recent Image of the drive? Ghost is your friend. Saving Ghost, I think you'll have to rebuild the system...

--------------------
My Site

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 19, 2006 03:29      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ct_____________________See if you can get a copy of (ultimate boot CD) boot from it go to F2 then right arrow untill you see a choice called clone drive. This will allow you to make a copy.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
GameMaster
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 19, 2006 03:39      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MoMan, the drive is good, it's the files on the drive that aren't... That'd only help if he had previously cloned it.

We have a very speically modded version of the UBCD ("oob cah-Dah", or so we call it) that we use at work. It's amazing what you can sqeeze into 700Meg.

--------------------
My Site

-ct-
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted January 19, 2006 07:09      Profile for -ct-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GameMaster, TheMoMan you're a bit off...

the drive is fine, so are the files on the drive

"CommanderShroom
posted January 18, 2006 20:51

You know -ct- I would hazard a gues and say that the chipsets have enough differences in them that you won't be able to get it to work unless you do a complete repair/reinstall of windows ""

this is what i'm guessing as the biggest problem
but like i said, i'm looking for the right files/reg entries to modify, so to force a choice of hardware profiles at boot, or at least a secondary install of windows so as not to fuck up the current one - i might just get another of the same board

GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted January 19, 2006 16:47      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you have another drive to spare, image the drive to the spare then do repair install of windows on the spare. There's a reasonable chance it might work and you'll still have the unchanged original to work with if it doesn't.
Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
-ct-
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted January 19, 2006 18:35      Profile for -ct-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the only spare i have is an SATA drive, and no sata ports anywhere

been looking for a sata to ide convertor (pcb board that on one side plugs right into the back of a sata drive, and on the other has pins for an ide cable)

--------------------

zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted January 19, 2006 19:57      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ct: grab a SATA to USB enclosure and put that drive to a good use.
Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
-ct-
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted January 19, 2006 20:13      Profile for -ct-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
already considered and rejected

this is what i really need

but i know the damn things were given away free along with sata drives when they were 1st coming out, and i just don't wanna spend that much $ for one

--------------------

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 20, 2006 11:44      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-ct-__________________Do you have another drive that you could use as a windows boot drive, then set this drive up as drive "D". You would still have all of your files, and you could strip out the windows stuff to gain more space.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted January 20, 2006 11:55      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheMoMan:
-ct-__________________Do you have another drive that you could use as a windows boot drive, then set this drive up as drive "D". You would still have all of your files, and you could strip out the windows stuff to gain more space.

That's not going to work - he needs the old system files and registry so he wouldn't have to reinstall all him programs (warez [Wink] ?) but it appears that the old settings aren't liking the new hardware. My advice is wipe the drive and reinstall, you'll be surprised how much fatser your system will become. Heck, a fresh XP install on my Dell 700m with 1.6GHz processor seems to be way faster than my 3.2GHz desktop.
Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
-ct-
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted January 20, 2006 22:05      Profile for -ct-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yeah, but a fresh install still will req. a new board and psu

and if i'm gonna go that far, i'm not gonna do it twice in such a short time

i think the biggest problem is that the donor pc is a dell and mine was homebuilt

major difference?

intel dell vs. amd mine

that's probably a big enough problem for why it's not working as normal

--------------------

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 21, 2006 03:44      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-ct-__________________If you have an old drive (about two to four gigs) set it up as master, then start and boot from a windows install CD install windows. Then set the jumpers on the drive you wish to save as slave, you will still have your important files and have a mass storage devive.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

-ct-
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted January 21, 2006 16:50      Profile for -ct-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oh, i already have the old drive as a slave in the donor pc, so i have access to all my files
no problem there

however, and interesting thing happens when i attempt to delete any files from that drive

BSOD [Eek!]

IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

doesn't matter if i hit the delete key, or drag it to recycle bin, it crashes the computer
i can create files, but not delete them

eh, i don't care so much, as long as i can get to anything

--------------------

Maggs
Geek
Member # 4682

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 03, 2006 14:56      Profile for Maggs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
YOu mean SpinRite by Steve Gibson. I tried that on an NT Backup'ed drive to no avail. But YMMV.

quote:
Originally posted by GameMaster:
Some Questions:

1.) Are you counting the drive as dead and just trying to get the data to another one?

2.) Have you run SpinRight and Dell Diagnostics on the drive?

3.) If it wasn't an NTFS partition, I'd suggest you use Knoppix to fsck the system -- but fsck is risky with NTFS. You may want to use dd and just dd the whole drive onto another drive and then use Dell Diagnostics, Norton Speed Disk and/or SpinRight on the new one.

As far as which windows system files do what - for XP, I'd be at a loss.

Posts: 193 | From: NYC | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture