homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Should I buy the Macbook? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Should I buy the Macbook?
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted January 18, 2006 08:00      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, here we go.

I need to buy a laptop for college, mainly to run Maya, Photoshop, After Effects and perhaps some other stuff. I'm only considering a Mac, for various reasons.

So... do I break that tech commandment that instructs us not to buy a rev. 1 machine, and get a MacBook Pro? How risky is it, really?

It's been a few years since I last bought a Mac, so I'd like a bit of advice. Is it still true that it's cheaper to buy it with as little RAM as possible and then upgrade it with 3rd-party? Is the Applecare worth the money? How about the faster hard disk? I guess that'd make a big difference to importing video, but will it upset the battery life?

I'm a little worried about performance under Rosetta, but I'm sure it won't be long before universal versions of those apps come out.

Anyway, I can manage it on the finance side, and my current PB is dying to be updated, so... can anyone give me some reasons not to buy?

Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 18, 2006 08:32      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The answer for your situation would be NO! As Steve Jobs stated you can run Photoshop, but it is not recommended for everyday use, just opening a photo now and then. I'd wait until you hear conformation of updated for the apps you need to run.

AppleCare is a MUST for portables IMHO!

A faster hard drive would be a great idea with the kind of apps you run.

The MacBook isn't shipping until March, perhaps the software will be updated by then.

If you really need to upgrade your PowerBook this is an option.

Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 18, 2006 12:05      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ars Technica has a review of the new iMac w/ Core Duo processor. Photoshop ran significantly slower than the G5 iMac in all tasks, sometimes painfully so. The reviewer found other problems running a few different pro-level apps.

There are rumors that other MacBooks are waiting in the wings, and Steve J. did say Final Cut, etc. will be Universal in March. That suggests to me that even better laptops will drop around then to coincide with the updated pro apps.

I would suggest that you wait a few more months if at all possible. The G4 PowerBooks are relative dogs right now, but for what you need to do I don't see the announced MacBook Pro being much better for you.

Oh, one other thing -- I saw a note on Engadget (I think) last night that many of the WinTel Core Duo laptops have very poor battery life -- like only two hours. I think the link was to Tom's Hardware, but I don't have time to look right now (sorry). Apparently the processor itself is confirmed to be very power efficient, so it's not clear where the drain is coming from. Just a word of caution in case it affects the MacBook as well.

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1742 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 18, 2006 12:10      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Personally, I refrain from buying first generation anything, but that's just me, IANAL, YMMV, IMNSHO, IRAH.
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 18, 2006 14:17      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:
Personally, I refrain from buying first generation anything, but that's just me, IANAL, YMMV, IMNSHO, IRAH.

OK, IRAH has me stumped -- I Really Am Ham? Individual Rabbits Are Hairy? [Confused]

--------------------
Ugh!

Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted January 18, 2006 14:52      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
but that's just me, IANAL
Should you be sharing this with us, dnm? [blush]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 18, 2006 15:24      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
IANAL , YMMV , IMNSHO, IRAH.

Aparently Urban Dictionary is also confused by IRAH, care to define?
Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 18, 2006 15:35      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IRAH is one I made up: insert random acronym here. [Big Grin] If it becomes huge, I am taking credit for it! [Razz]
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
HalfVast

Member # 3187

Icon 1 posted January 18, 2006 16:00      Profile for HalfVast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
If it becomes huge, I am taking credit for it!
I belive you just did. [Razz]
Posts: 795 | From: In the mitten around the abductor pollicis brevis. | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 18, 2006 16:44      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really am hard
I raise a halo
I release a haberdasher
I rouse a harlot
I rush away headlong
I rootle about hedges
I rustle a heliotrope
I rattle and hiss
I rather am hysterical
is rambling and hopeless
is really a Hottentot?

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
HalfVast

Member # 3187

Icon 1 posted January 18, 2006 18:17      Profile for HalfVast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
is really a Hottentot?
Quite appropriate coming from Callipygous.

SMTCIFPM

(sucking my thumb curled in fetal position moaning)

Posts: 795 | From: In the mitten around the abductor pollicis brevis. | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
GameMaster
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 18, 2006 19:14      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hottentot?
code:
From The Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.48 [gcide]:

Hottentot \Hot"ten*tot\, n. [D. Hottentot; -- so called from hot
and tot, two syllables of frequent occurrence in their
language. --Wedgwood.]
1. (Ethnol.) One of a degraded
[1913 Webster]

2. The language of the Hottentots, which is remarkable for
its clicking sounds; the {Khoisan} language.
[1913 Webster +PJC]

{Hottentot cherry} (Bot.), a South African plant of the genus
{Cassine} ({Cassine maurocenia}), having handsome foliage,
with generally inconspicuous white or green flowers.
--Loudon.

{Hottentot's bread}. (Bot.) See {Elephant's foot}
(a), under {Elephant}.
[1913 Webster]

From WordNet (r) 2.0 [wn]:

Hottentot
n : any of the Khoisan languages spoken by the pastoral people
of Namibia and South Africa [syn: {Khoikhoin}, {Khoikhoi}]

*click-pop-click-click-snap*?

And dict IRAH:
code:
No definitions found for "IRAH", perhaps you mean:
gcide: IRA Iran
wn: IRA Irak Iran Iraq
easton: Ira Sirah Ivah Irad Iram
hitchcock: Ira Imrah Hirah Arah Ivah Irad Iram
world02: Iran Iraq
gazetteer: Ira

--------------------
My Site

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 18, 2006 19:24      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Didn't Grandfather fight the Hottentots in "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang"? I just remember hearing Dick van Dyke say "Off to fight the Hottentots" (or something like that) in his distinctive voice.

N!xau wasn't a Hottentot, but I'm thinking his language would be similar?

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
ASM65816
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 712

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted January 18, 2006 22:12      Profile for ASM65816   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
IRAH
I Repair Apple Hardware ?
I Repeat Awful Haiku ?
If Ribald And Howling ?
Immediately Run And Hide ?

--------------------
Once a proud programmer of Apple II's, he now spends his days and nights in cheap dives fraternizing with exotic dancers....

Posts: 1035 | From: Third rock from sun. | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 19, 2006 05:18      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
IRAH
Silly me. It obviously means Intel Rocks Apple's Hardware!

And Rhonnie, I think you're right about the grandfather in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang fighting the Hottentots, but I'd have to watch it again to be sure.

Edit: Oh, there is One More Thing. MacCentral has lab test results for the new iMac and they don't look good for apps under Rosetta. They found that most apps run about half as fast under Rosetta as they do native for "real world" tasks.

OK, now back to our regularly scheduled thread digression(s).

--------------------
Ugh!

garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 19, 2006 12:10      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Having been granted such a wonderful opportunity via Ugh!'s permission, I could not resist:

(And for those who would clamor for the source of the data, it came from a local MUG via email, this morning.)

For those of us who sometimes get flustered by our computers, please read on... If Bud Abbott and Lou Costello were alive today, their infamous sketch, "Who' on First?" might have turned outsomething like this:

COSTELLO CALLS TO BUY A COMPUTER FROM ABBOTT:

ABBOTT: Super Duper computer store. Can I help you?
COSTELLO: Thanks. I'm setting up an office in my den and I'm thinking about buying a computer.
ABBOTT: Mac?
COSTELLO: No, the name's Lou.
ABBOTT: Your computer?
COSTELLO: I don't own a computer. I want to buy one.
ABBOTT: Mac?
COSTELLO: I told you, my name's Lou.
ABBOTT: What about Windows?
COSTELLO: Why? Will it get stuffy in here?
ABBOTT: Do you want a computer with Windows?
COSTELLO: I don't know. What will I see when I look at the windows?
ABBOTT: "Wallpaper."
COSTELLO: Never mind the windows. I need a computer and software.
ABBOTT: Software for Windows?
COSTELLO: No. On the computer! I need something I can use to write proposals, track expenses and run my business. What do you have?
ABBOTT: "Office."
COSTELLO: Yeah, for my office. Can you recommend anything?
ABBOTT: I just did.
COSTELLO: You just did what?
ABBOTT: Recommend something.
COSTELLO: You recommended something?
ABBOTT: Yes.
COSTELLO: For my office?
ABBOTT: Yes.
COSTELLO: OK, what did you recommend for my office?
ABBOTT: "Office."
COSTELLO: Yes, for my office!
ABBOTT: I recommend "Office" with Windows.
COSTELLO: I already have an office with windows! OK, let's just say I'm sitting at my computer and I want to type a proposal. What do I need?
ABBOTT: "Word."
COSTELLO: What word?
ABBOTT: "Word" in "Office."
COSTELLO: The only word in office is office.
ABBOTT: The "Word" in "Office" for Windows.
COSTELLO: Which word in office for windows?
ABBOTT: The "Word" you get when you click the blue "W".
COSTELLO: I'm going to click your blue "w" if you don't start with some straight answers. What about financial bookkeeping? You have anything I can track my money with?
ABBOTT: "Money."
COSTELLO: That's right. What do you have?
COSTELLO: I need money to track my money?
ABBOTT: It comes bundled with your computer.
COSTELLO: What's bundled with my computer?
COSTELLO: Money comes with my computer?
ABBOTT: Yes. No extra charge.
COSTELLO: I get a bundle of money with my computer? How much?
ABBOTT: One copy.
COSTELLO: Isn't it illegal to copy money?
ABBOTT: Microsoft gave us a license to copy "Money."
COSTELLO: They can give you a license to copy money?
ABBOTT: Why not? THEY OWN IT!
(A few days later)
ABBOTT: Super Duper computer store. Can I help you?
COSTELLO: How do I turn my computer off?
ABBOTT: Click on "START"............. [Razz]

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 19, 2006 15:07      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
IRAH is one I made up: insert random acronym here. [Big Grin] If it becomes huge, I am taking credit for it! [Razz]

Too late... hehe!

http://add.urbandictionary.com/verify.php?code=fe0ef8bfba&function=submit

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
shriver
Geek
Member # 3556

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 19, 2006 17:07      Profile for shriver     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"IMNSHO, I'd highly recommend Apple's PowerBook over IBM's ThinkPad, it seems more suited to your needs; of course IANAL, YMMV, IRAH

Oh, no you didn't just dis' the Thinkpad!

--------------------
And a thousand thousand slimy things
Lived on; and so did I.

Posts: 111 | From: Seattle | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted January 19, 2006 17:14      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I bet a Thinkpad or Inspiron with similar specs will be around $1400 or less by the time Macbook finally hits the stores. Also, I wouldn't be too surprised if OSX gets hacked so it can run natively on the said IBM or Dell - after all, the hardware is the same, the only difference is the BIOS. [evil]

EDIT: hmmm, a dual-core stinkpad for under $1400

Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 20, 2006 06:11      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
zesovietrussian, that link didn't work. But anyway, I'm not choosing to go with the Mac just for performance. And while there are versions of OSX cracked for other machines, every time Apple releases an update you have to wait for someone to crack it. I can't really be bothered with those sorts of hacks.

Anyway, you guys haven't convinced me at all. I'm not sure where any ideas that there will be another update soon come from. Surely they wouldn't replace it so soon after its release? Maybe they'd upgrade it marginally when they update the 12" and 17", but I can live with that.

And I'm confident that updating apps to universal binaries won't take too long. I can live with a slower Photoshop for a few months (and remember, I'm used to running it on a 550MHz Powerbook... it's going to seem fast to me).

Looks like it might have to be a MacBook for me... I'm still wondering about the memory thing, though. Do I order it with maximum RAM, or do I get as little RAM as possible and upgrade it myself?

Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
angryjungman

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2434

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 20, 2006 07:16      Profile for angryjungman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by maximile:
I'm still wondering about the memory thing, though. Do I order it with maximum RAM, or do I get as little RAM as possible and upgrade it myself?

I would suggest getting as little RAM as possible and then upgrading it yourself. While it looks like Apple has dropped it's RAM upgrade prices a bit, I still think they're more expensive.

--------------------
Meh.

Posts: 633 | From: princeton, nj | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 20, 2006 09:20      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't mean to imply that Apple would replace the current MacBook Pro. What I meant is that I expect additional MacBook products to be announced in March. I won't speculate on how these new books will compare to the current one because I have no insider information.

Anyway, if your current powerbook is 550Mhz then sure, I'd say the MacBook would be an improvement even with Rosetta apps. If nothing else, the memory bandwidth and video capabilities are vastly improved. In fact I think the memory benchmarks were one area where the Core Duo iMac completely thrashed even the Dual G5 PowerMac.

That said, I would personally wait a week or two after they start shipping to make sure there are no major problems exposed by the masses.

--------------------
Ugh!

zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted January 20, 2006 09:57      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by angryjungman:
quote:
Originally posted by maximile:
I'm still wondering about the memory thing, though. Do I order it with maximum RAM, or do I get as little RAM as possible and upgrade it myself?

I would suggest getting as little RAM as possible and then upgrading it yourself. While it looks like Apple has dropped it's RAM upgrade prices a bit, I still think they're more expensive.
I'll second that - I remember getting a 1 gig PC2700 stick for my albook for $120 back when Apple still wanted $700 for theirs. Also, hopefully Apple will finally start putting better LCDs on their laptops - it's rather disappointing to find out that a 12" Powerbook, a premium laptop, has a screen that's way worse than that on a Dell 700m, which is an el cheapo budget machine ($1500 vs $750.)

EDIT: I'll try to get my hands on a copy of OSX86 and install it on the Dell, it would be funny if it ends up being faster than my PB [Wink]

Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 20, 2006 11:32      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by zesovietrussian:
Also, hopefully Apple will finally start putting better LCDs on their laptops - it's rather disappointing to find out that a 12" Powerbook, a premium laptop, has a screen that's way worse than that on a Dell 700m, which is an el cheapo budget machine ($1500 vs $750.)

Supposedly the MacBook screen is much better than the PB screens.

--------------------
Ugh!

Moe Monkey
Geek
Member # 1900

Icon 1 posted January 20, 2006 13:46      Profile for Moe Monkey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to second (third?) the idea of getting AppleCare -- I've had it on both my laptops and got my money's worth. Not that the machines were lemons, but the abuse that a laptop computer can receive if you're using it to its full potential makes the peace of mind worth it.

Of course it didn't cover the time my wife dropped the computer from 6' above a marble-tiled floor -- That's when I learned the cost of non-warranty repairs. Ouch.

Posts: 145 | From: The couch in the living room | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture