homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Professional Cameras

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Professional Cameras
alfrin
Uber Geek
Member # 3836

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 11, 2006 19:50      Profile for alfrin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alright, my friend Elena is trying to find camera's used by professionals, She wants to be a photographer and has been saving up for a while. What "non digital" cameras would any of you photo geeks can you reccommend? She'd really appreciate it

--------------------
Art is Resistance / Resistance is Art

Posts: 813 | From: Nevada, USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 11, 2006 20:06      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm guessing when you say "non-digital" you mean manual, not automatic, and before you get up in arms, let me say why:

Unless Elena wants to get her own darkroom and learn to develop film herself, she's going to be spending boku bucks at the local Walgreens or CVS to get the 100s of rolls developed. It is possible to buy a digital camera that operates manually; she has to set everything herself—no "point-and-shoot" machine.

She'll also need a good light meter and a decent tripod.

What kind of photography does she plan to do? Weddings, sports, landscapes, portraiture...?

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
alfrin
Uber Geek
Member # 3836

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 11, 2006 20:11      Profile for alfrin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:
I'm guessing when you say "non-digital" you mean manual, not automatic, and before you get up in arms, let me say why:

Unless Elena wants to get her own darkroom and learn to develop film herself, she's going to be spending boku bucks at the local Walgreens or CVS to get the 100s of rolls developed. It is possible to buy a digital camera that operates manually; she has to set everything herself—no "point-and-shoot" machine.

She'll also need a good light meter and a decent tripod.

What kind of photography does she plan to do? Weddings, sports, landscapes, portraiture...?

Alright, let me remind everyone this is a freshmen girl, so don't flame for her not knowing what she wants. Basically she wants a non digital camera that mose professionals (but without obscenely expensive) might use. She wants a brand name or such.

--------------------

zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted January 11, 2006 20:24      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pentax K1000
/thread

PS: If she wants something fancy and professional, this might do the trick...

Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
alfrin
Uber Geek
Member # 3836

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 11, 2006 21:24      Profile for alfrin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by zesovietrussian:
Pentax K1000
/thread

PS: If she wants something fancy and professional, this might do the trick...

Thank you man, thats perfect, I sent her a link for hte K1000 a minute ago, she should be pleased.

--------------------

Bibo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 11, 2006 21:33      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Many pros are moving to Digital these days. As far as getting started with a 35mm SLR have her take a look at some of the basic Canon Rebel kits that places such as Best Buy sell for under $200. Or she could check out a local camera store, they have many used SLRs these days (I sold 2 Canon EOS Elan IIs on ebay last year). If a film camera is not required for her class I'd recommend the Canon Digital Rebel, it has manual as well as auto settings so she will be able to learn the fundamentals of photography (and not have to wait to get it processed).
The K-1000 is a great starter too, it's a classic!

Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted January 11, 2006 22:33      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Following the success of our digital line-up over the last seven years, which has resulted in more than 95% of Nikon’s UK business being within the digital area, Nikon Corporation has made the decision to focus management resources on digital cameras in place of film cameras."

http://www.nikon.co.uk/press_room/releases/show.aspx?rid=201

Go digital!

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
GameMaster
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 12, 2006 00:08      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
An SLR or digital SLR is the way to go. SLR - Single Lense Reflex... That's any camera where you are looking through the mirror to see exsactly what the film/digital media will see. Typically these will have removable lenses that can be changed, adjustable apature, adjustable shutter speed and adjustable focus.

The result is you have every control imaginable over the resulting image. These features can be found on new digital cameras.

Personally, my old SLR was from a thrift store... It needed some minor repairs but it was worth it. Haven't used it in ages because now I have a simple "point and shoot" digital to work with... And I'm not taking pictures for art photography reasons, but to capture everyday life and the occasional shot of my roses. I'd love a new digital SLR, but my pocket book can't bare it.

--------------------
My Site

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 12, 2006 01:42      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My eldest son is studying photography, and a year ago we found that a second hand Canon EOS SLR film camera could be found for about 1/3 the cost of a digital EOS and of course any extra lenses you buy can be used for it when you have the cash to trade up. Canon seem to be the most favoured camera manufacturer now. I would agree with Rhonnie though, that this is a pointless exercise unless your friend has access to a darkroom. For speed convenience and flexibility, most professional photographers shoot mainly on digital now, even though many would still argue that for the very finest results film is still marginally better.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
HalfVast

Member # 3187

Icon 1 posted January 12, 2006 03:47      Profile for HalfVast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pentax K1000 You can only get them used. If she can't find
that then a Pentax ZX-M. In the Nikon camp there's the FM3
or FM10. The important thing is that all the controls are manual
so she will have to learn choosing focus, appeture and shutter
speed and that's the fastest and best way to understand the
camera as a tool. Everything she learns there will apply to any
camera she uses in the future weather it captures in silver hallide
or digits.

A good source is KEH in Atlanta. Highly reputable and
anything they classify as excellent or bargain would be perfect
for a begining student who may or may not continue in the art.
I have no relation with them other than being a satisfied customer.

Posts: 795 | From: In the mitten around the abductor pollicis brevis. | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 12, 2006 03:48      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Callipygous________________Now here's the rub Kodak, Fugi and Astra have almost stopped development on better films. They are only working on the process (to lower production costs) so only if a gov. agency wants to spend development money will better film come about.
Twenty years ago it was almost impossible to buy a new manual camera, two choices come to mind Pentax the K series and Ricoh both had manual and auto modes, plus the lenses were interchangable accross brands. If you don't mind an older camera then go back to the Nikon F1.
Some pawn brokers are very helpful and others may stick you, I would try pawn shops and or a good camera club or exchange.

Ijust went to ebay and searched on SLR Manual film cameras, I think I got like ninety hits. Depends if you are going to trust ebay.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tom- geeking around

Member # 2876

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 12, 2006 05:59      Profile for Tom- geeking around   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Try the Hasselblad H-1 or the H-2 and if she decides she wants to go digital, she can get a 39MP (yes!! thirthy-nine megapixel) backplate for the H-2

No, just kidding..

If she is totally sure she wants to stick with film (for which I can't blame her) that is fine =)

But DO remind her, that digital photography inherits many merrits [Smile]

Thomas

--------------------
Pizza and ginormous jugs is what I need!

Posts: 374 | From: Vienna | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Doco

SuperFan!
Member # 371

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 12, 2006 06:18      Profile for Doco   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My advice - poke around your local city and find a used camera shop. Any good photo shop will have at least a few used cameras sitting around. Note - this eliminates virtually every "camera" place you find in your local mall. They pretty much cater to the 90% of the public which means they only carry new or very recent models. Do your hunting in the older buildings on Main street. Strike up a conversation and find a salesman that is willing to help you. You can find older SLRs for $200 or less now. However, then you start lusting after bigger or faster lenes. Next it is for the more powerful flashes. Then it is for the super-de-duper filters or tripod or macro extension tubes. Oh it just doesn't end. The nice thing about finding that old dusty store first is that someone there will help feed your addiction with relatively low-cost used merchandise.

I love my old Cannon AE-1 Program. I have used it for over 20 years now (egads!) The even older AE-1 (no "Program") was straight manual, but the Program added some auto exposure settings. The Pentax K series is very highly regarded. I've only used them a couple of times so I never formed a real opinion on them myself. If you go more modern the Cannon Rebel series are very nice and not really that much more $ on the used market. The newer cameras use more plastic - easier to break I guess - but also MUCH lighter which can be nice. And as others have pointed out - then your lenes can be moved to a digital body at a later date.

You do NOT have to go digital. I did film for many many years (and still do some). I am not a professional - but was a pretty serious hobbiest. Lately I mostly take just snapshots and very few artistic photographs. Doing darkroom work with film is not necessary. However, getting into using a darkroom does lower the cost some (not that much by the time you account for all your equipment, chemicals, etc), and gives you more control to do adjustments when printing. Shooting slide film is also less expensive, and you have absolute control over exposure.

I have been recently bitten by the digital bug, and bought my wife a digital camera about a year ago now. This was after borrowing my parents digital camera for a trip. It was relaxing to slip back into the mode I was in many years ago when I would take hundreds of photos and know that I would only keep a few really good ones.

Posts: 419 | From: Minneapolis, MN | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 14, 2006 15:09      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love my Pentax K1000, but it is manual everything. I have a friend who has a Canon Rebel EOS and it can be manual everything, all automatic and somewhere in between.

I would tell her to look for something with other lens easily and affordably available, not necessarily by the manufacturer. I would also look for a camera with a sturdy body. It is hard to find metal bodies, but look for something as rugged as you can.

Tell her also to by an inexpensive plain glass lens cover that can screw onto her lens. It will save her a fortune as it will take all the scratches and dings should she drop it or it swings into something when she doesn't have the lens cap.

Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture