homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Magic Online Mac Verson? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Magic Online Mac Verson?
Nick
Mini Geek
Member # 2413

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 06, 2006 19:07      Profile for Nick   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I started playing Magic and I want to try and do Magic online. But I can't use The verons out there. So is there a Mac verson out there and if not why not?

--------------------
~Blade

Posts: 89 | From: Texas | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted January 07, 2006 02:28      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nick:
So is there a Mac verson out there and if not why not?

Last I heard, no, because it came out when people still weren't making games for Macs.

Write your own! [Razz]

Kinguy
Geek
Member # 4527

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 07, 2006 12:58      Profile for Kinguy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

JulioC
Geek
Member # 4370

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 07, 2006 16:20      Profile for JulioC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Use Virtual PC for mac (a windows emulator)
It should run just fine with the lowest macs.. just dont play any 3D games unless you have 2GB plus of ram.

<---- Plays Battlefield 2 on a G4 mac w/4Gb ram.

Posts: 182 | From: Brazil | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 07, 2006 16:45      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by JulioC:

With VPC? Woah... does it work? Do you get a reaasonable framerate?
Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
alfrin
Uber Geek
Member # 3836

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 07, 2006 17:09      Profile for alfrin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by maximile:
quote:

With VPC? Woah... does it work? Do you get a reaasonable framerate?
Framerate? Isn't it a game that's meant to always be in bullet time? That's what happens when I play it through WINE. Is that not supposed to be right?

--------------------
Art is Resistance / Resistance is Art

Posts: 813 | From: Nevada, USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Zwilnik

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 615

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 08, 2006 03:28      Profile for Zwilnik   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Use Virtual PC for mac (a windows emulator)
It should run just fine with the lowest macs.. just dont play any 3D games unless you have 2GB plus of ram.

VPC only emulates an antique 4mb graphics card and won't play any sort of modern 3D game. It's really only any use for business apps.

As far as Magic the Gathering is concerned, there is a web based version with an OS X client. http://www.insidemacgames.com/news/story.php?ArticleID=9858

--------------------
The Universe is entirely made up of elements.
The most important of which is the element of surprise.

Posts: 1040 | From: West Sussex, UK | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
Nick
Mini Geek
Member # 2413

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 17, 2006 10:15      Profile for Nick   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sadly I have not learned program unless you count HTML. But you may of told me soemthing not to do. I am trying to becoem a profeshanal 3D mdoeler and I knwo i will have to know 3DSMAX if what you say is true then it will be better to jsut get soem POC made that i will run 3D S MAX on. This kind of talk is making my feel ill. I foudn anotehr program taht soem what works with magic but down side is that it does not use teh magic codes on each pace so peoeple leik ahve two of soem really annoying cards and stuff.

--------------------
~Blade

drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 17, 2006 11:17      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Sadly I have not learned program unless you count HTML. But you may of told me soemthing not to do. I am trying to becoem a profeshanal 3D mdoeler and I knwo i will have to know 3DSMAX if what you say is true then it will be better to jsut get soem POC made that i will run 3D S MAX on. This kind of talk is making my feel ill. I foudn anotehr program taht soem what works with magic but down side is that it does not use teh magic codes on each pace so peoeple leik ahve two of soem really annoying cards and stuff.

[Eek!]
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 17, 2006 11:49      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe you should learn how to use spell check while you're at it. [Wink]
Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Nick
Mini Geek
Member # 2413

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 18, 2006 13:36      Profile for Nick   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GMx:

Thats a low blow. I have trouble spelling and you belittle me because I don't open up Word to do every freaking post I do. and even then its often not enough. I have a few LDs so please do not make fun of my problem. It's like making fun of a guy in a wheel chair for not being able to go up a hill fast. So cure your Tongue. if I wanted to be belittled I will go back to high school.

--------------------
~Blade

drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 18, 2006 15:27      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

Thats a low blow. I have trouble spelling and you belittle me because I don't open up Word to do every freaking post I do. and even then its often not enough. I have a few LDs so please do not make fun of my problem. It's like making fun of a guy in a wheel chair for not being able to go up a hill fast. So cure your Tongue. if I wanted to be belittled I will go back to high school.
While you're back at highschool, learn how to spell. [Big Grin]
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 18, 2006 16:26      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
[QUOTE]Thats a low blow. I have trouble spelling and you belittle me because I don't open up Word to do every freaking post I do. and even then its often not enough. I have a few LDs so please do not make fun of my problem. It's like making fun of a guy in a wheel chair for not being able to go up a hill fast. So cure your Tongue. if I wanted to be belittled I will go back to high school.

No it isn't. I don't know about Explorer, but Safari has built in spell check. I don't use Firefox, but I'd bet anything there's a spellcheck plug-in available.
I wouldn't make fun of a guy in a wheel chair trying to go up a hill, because he would at least be trying. As much as I wish it were so, people in the real world do get discriminated against because of their disabilities. So you're going to have to work hard to show people that you can do what is needed. That's especially true out in the real world of work. If you filled out an application with as many misspelled words as that post, the first thing the employer would do is throw it in the round file. And as far as I know laziness isn't a disability (yet).

Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted January 18, 2006 17:03      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GMx wrote:
If you filled out an application with as many misspelled words as that post, the first thing the employer would do is throw it in the round file.

Not always true... sometimes we laugh at them first.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
HalfVast

Member # 3187

Icon 1 posted January 18, 2006 18:14      Profile for HalfVast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
GMx wrote:
If you filled out an application with as many misspelled words as that post, the first thing the employer would do is throw it in the round file.

Steen wrote:
Not always true... sometimes we laugh at them first.

Actually we like to put them up on the bulletin board (after cutting out sensitive info). Especially the applications for proofreaders.
Posts: 795 | From: In the mitten around the abductor pollicis brevis. | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Nick
Mini Geek
Member # 2413

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 18, 2006 18:17      Profile for Nick   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:
quote:
quote:

While you're back at highschool, learn how to spell. [Big Grin]
Oh come on your asuming a high school can teach witch is very untrue. Your insulting me for no reason at all. I do not know why you are acting liek soem cyber Jock. have you becomes the very scum that tortcher all of us. how sad hoev very very sad.

--------------------
~Blade

GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted January 18, 2006 18:59      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nick wrote:
Your insulting me for no reason at all.

I beg to differ. There is a very good reason why you're being insulted.

You've said you suffer from a learning disability. If you know this, you already know that getting into the habit of using a spell checker to compensate for your disability will allow you to present yourself in an intelligent manner when writing. Adamantly refusing to use one when you know it would help... well, that's just asking to be insulted.

GameMaster
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 18, 2006 19:31      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I suffer from dyslexia, but I don't use that as an excuse. I'm lazy, that's why I spell poorly. I've had more people on this forum insult my spelling than you have, and I've (at times) taken to using ispell/word/openword (depending on where I am), but each time I fall off the band wagon.

You have 2 options:
1.) Live with the spelling nuts insulting you every now and again.
2.) Fix it.

I used to have the spell extension[extention] in FF, but haven't since I re-installed Linux (to clean up a small driver problem). Been a little too long; I think I'll do it now. I suggest using it, if your as lazy as I am, want them off your back, and already browse with FireFox. It underlines misspelled [mispelled]words in any text-fields you are typing in. I think Google-Bar [GoogleBar] for FireFox also has a spell checker...

Just checked it with Google-Bar's spell checker. Misspellings in italics and square braces ([]), just for fun.

--------------------
My Site

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Nick
Mini Geek
Member # 2413

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 19, 2006 08:31      Profile for Nick   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Steen:
Nick wrote:
Your insulting me for no reason at all.

I beg to differ. There is a very good reason why you're being insulted.

You've said you suffer from a learning disability. If you know this, you already know that getting into the habit of using a spell checker to compensate for your disability will allow you to present yourself in an intelligent manner when writing. Adamantly refusing to use one when you know it would help... well, that's just asking to be insulted.

So you think insulting me will make me spell better. that's like a caoch expecting soem oen to do better if heinsults them. it does nothing but put people down.

Treating some one badly becuase you think it will make them better is just stupid. There is no reason to insult some one only fools think there is.

I expect better from Mac Geeks. Its "think different" not like every other Bone head.

So just drop your sapiority BS on me and Just treat me like a human Geeze.

Lets just say i was robbed of my grammer skills by my school and they did not offer me enough. Have you ever been stuck in remidial classes? Let em tell you its horable and you learn nothing. I was given the same work sheets year after year. Let me tell you that was a big waist of time. I was not put into normal classes after acing all those dumb worksheets. So the basis I needed for writing is not there. and dissing me will not make it appear.

I am a smart person who was robbed of a desent education.

I am trying to improve and I do not need some one calling me stupid because they feel they need to spread the hate they recieved from some one else. Any way why diss me when I some how knew enough to maybe help people out with their love life. I mean the first thing I did in life was get two people to get together. (My god Perents) I have trouble spelling, why does that mensa to you guys that I need to be treated like crap? Do you treat guys who need to use a cain like crap becuase tehy can't walk? You guys are sapost to be smarter then the general public. So far you are just the same.

--------------------
~Blade

magefile
Highlie
Member # 2918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 19, 2006 11:54      Profile for magefile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Do you treat guys who need to use a cain like crap becuase tehy can't walk?

False analogy. Better analogy: not accepting fatalistic "I can't" attitudes from people who refuse to use the technology available to them, whether it's a cane, a wheelchair, a hearing aid, or something totally different. As a long-time wheelie and hearing aid wearer, and a former (and future) cane-user, this is something I know about.

If your refusal to use the tools available to you makes it difficult for people to interact with you, they won't - and I can't say I blame them for it.

Posts: 743 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted January 19, 2006 13:31      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
magefile

100% bang on the nail.

[Applause]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Nick
Mini Geek
Member # 2413

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 20, 2006 14:24      Profile for Nick   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by magefile:
quote:
Do you treat guys who need to use a cain like crap becuase tehy can't walk?

False analogy. Better analogy: not accepting fatalistic "I can't" attitudes from people who refuse to use the technology available to them, whether it's a cane, a wheelchair, a hearing aid, or something totally different. As a long-time wheelie and hearing aid wearer, and a former (and future) cane-user, this is something I know about.

If your refusal to use the tools available to you makes it difficult for people to interact with you, they won't - and I can't say I blame them for it.

No mine was apt. Those spell checkers do not work well enough. and It is not available to me. if you wish to understand then why don't you read "the teacher who couldn't read" that book descrivbes all these ideas that working harder in the same way every times does not work becuase the way is not working and using something that does not work is like using trying to cut a wood block with a Salami.

--------------------
~Blade

Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 20, 2006 15:29      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Those spell checkers do not work well enough.

If you've got a spell-checker that can't catch errors like "soem," "teh," and "tehy," then your excuses might be more apt, but somehow, I doubt it.

quote:
and It is not available to me.

I've already seen more than one option that would be available to you listed here, such as Firefox with a plugin, or the Google toolbar.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted January 20, 2006 17:11      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nick,

To be very blunt, which would you prefer?

A) to be considered as a normal human being who is capable of using readily available tools to make up for personal shortcomings

or

B) to be viewed as so mentally handicapped that you are incapable of properly using the tools at your disposal

You're the one that keeps saying that you're smart. Guess which one of those choices will demonstrate otherwise.

You'll find yourself making this choice repeatedly for the rest of your life, too, so consider your choices well.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Shadow
Assimilated
Member # 1558

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 20, 2006 17:42      Profile for Shadow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

The Inside Mac Games link in Zwilnik's post looks like it may be a good place to start for playing Magic online. As far as 3D work, you may also want to check out Maya. (The link points to Maya Personal Learning Edition.) This is a great 3D modeling/animation environment which you will likely hear about or come across if you do a lot of 3D work professionally. In addition to being a great bit of software you can also run it on a Mac and Linux.

--------------------
I do but keep the peace: put up thy sword,
Or manage it to part these men with me. - Benvolio (Romeo & Juliet)

Posts: 415 | From: /dev/geek/ | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture