homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Errr, tech support *ducks* (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Errr, tech support *ducks*
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 29, 2005 22:00      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry to use you guys for tech support, but Josh is having some major trouble with the computer. Books haven't helped yet, and we're not really in a place to call apple tech support right now. Any help you can give is appreciated. [Smile]

So here's the gist. He was trying to use the developer's kit that came with the OS and do that currency converter program. He eventually got that working and decided to do some program in the Terminal called "Hello World". I'm assuming that is a fairly common starter program. Now that he got that to work (mostly), every time he opened Terminal it ran "Hello World". He tried to fix it by deleting the "Hello World" program, but Terminal still tries to run it each time it opens. He wants to fix it, but doesn't want to do anything else on his own so he won't kill the computer. [Geek]

Please help us figure out what is wrong. *puppy eyes*

For more details or to offer advice you can e-mail him at
josh (at) centerhearingaids (dot) com

Thanks guys. [thumbsup]

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
—Miss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted December 29, 2005 22:53      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, peebs, I sent an email that I hope might help. It sounds like there is an entry in his bash_profile that is causing the shell to try and run the (now) non-existant program every time it starts up.

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

supaboy
SuperFan!
Member # 183

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 30, 2005 07:27      Profile for supaboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Make a program that opens a web browser pointed to the Geek Culture forums, and call it whatever the "Hello World" program was named.

You were going to come here anyway, and it saves you a step!

Posts: 1767 | From: Columbia, SC USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted December 30, 2005 08:42      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TMBWITW,PB wrote:
Sorry to use you guys for tech support

You shouldn't be. I can't speak for everyone, but it's rather nice to see a regular poster ask for help rather than the lurkers and random surfers who will never post here again, not even to say thanks, once their question is answered.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
alfrin
Uber Geek
Member # 3836

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 30, 2005 09:46      Profile for alfrin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by nerdwithnofriends:
Well, peebs, I sent an email that I hope might help. It sounds like there is an entry in his bash_profile that is causing the shell to try and run the (now) non-existant program every time it starts up.

But what exactly, non intentionally, could he have done to cause this, doesn't seem like something you can do accidentally.

--------------------
Art is Resistance / Resistance is Art

Posts: 813 | From: Nevada, USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Richard
Geek Apprentice
Member # 2868

Icon 1 posted December 30, 2005 10:57      Profile for Richard   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by nerdwithnofriends:

I'm in agreement here, when a terminal window is opened it runs the profile scripts. This usually isn't a problem, but it basically only needs to be put into the initial startup scripts, not the profile script. (Unfortunately I don't have enough experience in MAC to be more specific, but since the base is FreeBSD, I have a bit better knoledge of the startup.

I also agree that you shouldn't be sorry for asking for tech support. Most geeks will be happy to help and show their knowledge when confronted with a problem. :my .02:

Posts: 49 | From: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 30, 2005 11:16      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Steen:
TMBWITW,PB wrote:
Sorry to use you guys for tech support

You shouldn't be. I can't speak for everyone, but it's rather nice to see a regular poster ask for help rather than the lurkers and random surfers who will never post here again, not even to say thanks, once their question is answered.

Steen's right. I'm pretty okay with answering inquiries from good folk like you. [Smile] Just the same, I'm hoping that maybe /someone/ will answer the PHP inquiry I placed the other day?

Newbies putting these questions out there aggravate me, as it's really quite tiresome to answer questions like theirs 'because they need to know now, without any gratitude.' It takes a lot of work to be proficient at this stuff, and to be asked to give it away for absolutely anyone who asks...not fair. That's why I charge consulting rates. [Big Grin] (And I will only give free tech support [in person] for the absolute closest of friends or family.)

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted December 30, 2005 12:01      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dragonman97 wrote:
Just the same, I'm hoping that maybe /someone/ will answer the PHP inquiry I placed the other day?

I know jack about PHP, so I'm of no help there. If you have questions about predictive maintenance and vibration analysis, however, I'm here for you [thumbsup]

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 30, 2005 12:32      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know as much about PHP as Steen, but if you need help with pregnancy or breastfeeding questions, right now I'm an expert. [crazy]

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
—Miss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 30, 2005 13:41      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, after complaining about it long enough, and trying to find some help on the matter, I broke down, and über-Googled it, and made a Band-aid (TM):
code:
define ("CAL_GREGORIAN", "1");
function cal_days_in_month($foo,$in_month,$in_year){
//http://us3.php.net/manual/en/function.cal-days-in-month.php#53080
$days =date("t", mktime(0, 0, 0, $in_month, 1, $in_year)); // You can also specify a date
return ($days);
#$total_days=cal_days_in_month(CAL_GREGORIAN, $month, $year);

}

This resolved the required dependency that this code has - it wants that function and variable from the calendar extension:
http://us2.php.net/calendar

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
HalfVast

Member # 3187

Icon 1 posted December 30, 2005 18:50      Profile for HalfVast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -
Posts: 795 | From: In the mitten around the abductor pollicis brevis. | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
GameMaster
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 30, 2005 19:44      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dman, I didn't see the post, or else I would have suggested something.

Peebs,
Start Terminal.
Terminal->Preferences and check to see if "Execute this command" is selected. If it is, unslect it, chosing "Execute the default login shell /usr/bin/login" instead.

Edit:
Also, if that doesn't work look in the user's home directory for:
.bashrc
.tcsh .tcshrc
.csh .cshrc
and remove any line that is just the name/path of the program.

--------------------
My Site

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 30, 2005 20:34      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GameMaster:
Dman, I didn't see the post, or else I would have suggested something.

Peebs,
Start Terminal.
Terminal->Preferences and check to see if "Execute this command" is selected. If it is, unslect it, chosing "Execute the default login shell /usr/bin/login" instead.

Edit:
Also, if that doesn't work look in the user's home directory for:
.bashrc
.tcsh .tcshrc
.csh .cshrc
and remove any line that is just the name/path of the program.

Thanks GM.

And ... what he said!
(I was going to take a screen capture of my Terminal.app prefs, and then something came up, but that's *exactly* what I wanted to stress.)

--------------------

Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 30, 2005 20:57      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:

And ... what he said!

In other words....

QFT? [Wink]

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 30, 2005 21:26      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:

And ... what he said!

In other words....

QFT? [Wink]

Nah.

QED!

Kidding!!!!!!!!!!!

/coat

--------------------

iankantian
Maximum Newbie
Member # 2194

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 31, 2005 00:05      Profile for iankantian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello, I'm the destroyer of Terminal. Thank you very much for humoring me vicariously through my wife, Peebs. I've really fouled things up in there and I really appreciate your advice. Thanks for the email, nerdwithnofriends! I'm so sorry to admit this, but It's far worse than I let on. I don't even know how to open the files that GameMaster so graciously suggested I edit! I think the Unix terminology is:

hostname:~ peebs$ apropos "destroyer of applications"
Josh(1) -Ignorant destroyer of applications

If anyone needs help with hearing loss or audiology questions I am at your disposal. As for the Terminal problem I think I'll have to just run it as is and tackle fixing it after classes or tutorials in UNIX, Darwin and Bash first.

--------------------
Protect your hearing, there is no substitute for the real thing.

Posts: 14 | From: Field of purple paper flowers, CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
GameMaster
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 31, 2005 00:23      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You could grep for any references to the program. At the terminal execute:
grep nameofprogram *

where nameofprogram is the name of the program it's trying to run. If any other file mentions that file, you'll see where it's mentioned.

Because files that start with a dot are "special" or "hidden" files which aren't displayed in a directory listing (ls or use of * expantions) by default with some commands, unless you specially request them. So, you'll also want to:

grep nameofprogram .*

--------------------
My Site

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
magefile
Highlie
Member # 2918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 31, 2005 01:18      Profile for magefile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by iankantian:
I don't even know how to open the files that GameMaster so graciously suggested I edit!

Run "nano .bash" (replacing .bash with the appropriate file) in the terminal. It has a cheat-sheet at the bottom of the screen; all you need to know is that "^" means control (although it might be Apple on a mac ... haven't used nano in a while), and "Write Out" is actually "Save".

quote:
If anyone needs help with hearing loss or audiology questions I am at your disposal.
Be careful what you offer ... I might just take you up on that :-P

--------------------
Let them be stupid - the market will sort it out.

Posts: 743 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 31, 2005 01:39      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Something's just rubbing me the wrong way about this. How are you starting Terminal? If this happens when you are in Applications->Utilities, then there's definitely an error with your preferences or a config file. Otherwise, I'm thinking you've got a bad icon (alias/whatever) in your Dock or Desktop. BTW, to see what's in your .profile file, type `cat .profile` from the command line. (less backticks, ideally)

Oh, and be careful what you wish for - I might have more than a few questions on behalf of my grandmother. [Wink]

--------------------

Jace Raven

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted December 31, 2005 12:45      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
If anyone needs help with hearing loss or audiology questions I am at your disposal.

Actually. I have this constant ringing in my left ear. It wont go away and it really bothers me.
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 31, 2005 12:56      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jace Raven:
quote:

Actually. I have this constant ringing in my left ear. It wont go away and it really bothers me.
Jace, hearing loss is really common among soldiers (something to do with all those loud bangs). It's probably the most common ongoing medical problem ex servicemen complain of.

There's not a lot you can do to make it get better, but there's things you can do to stop it getting any worse.

GET IT SEEN TO NOW !

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10669 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 31, 2005 14:10      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you have ringing in your ears, it's already too late. It won't go away. The only thing you can do is prevent any more damage by using ear propection. Take it from someone who has had his ears next to loud amplifiers too long.
Posts: 5844 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
iankantian
Maximum Newbie
Member # 2194

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 31, 2005 15:24      Profile for iankantian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The sounds you hear that don't stop are called "tinnitus." Jace Raven, you are in good company. Hundreds of millions of people suffer some degree of tinnitus. I have tinnitus. Tinnitus is not a disease, it is a symptom of some kind of damage to the audiory system. Some sites of injury can be repaired medically, some cannot. Most tinnitus suffers respond well to specialized forms of management therapies. The Famous Druid is right, go see someone about this. Good online resources are the American Tinnitus Association www.ata.org. They have support groups as well. Call and find out if they have a chapter close to you at +1 (800) 634-8978, extension 219. That's for you too, GMx.
Posts: 14 | From: Field of purple paper flowers, CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
supergoo

SuperFan!
Member # 2280

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 31, 2005 17:31      Profile for supergoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eeek! That sounds terrible Jace [Frown] I get tinnitus from time to time because I have a blocked eustachian tube, but luckily it only comes for a few days about once a month.

Please please get that checked out!! [shake head]

--------------------
Y los sueños, sueños son.

Posts: 675 | From: Boston 'burbs | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
iankantian
Maximum Newbie
Member # 2194

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 31, 2005 21:31      Profile for iankantian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tinnitus can roar, fizz, ring, buzz, click at varying degrees of intensity. For some it can even be recorded with a microphone placed in the ear canal. For me it's constant 35 decibel 4 to 6 kilohertz static sound. I was 22 years old before I found out that wasn't normal. I thought that was the sound of my brain working or was what others identify as "silence." I can ignore the sound as long as there is some kind of background noise to listen to. For more severe cases they can use stronger masking noise machines, fans, special hearing aid type devices etc...

About Terminal woes. Thank you for all your suggestions but I think it's worst than you might think. Here is what I see.

Welcome to Darwin!
ppp-71-139-51-110:~ brown$ cat .profile
cat: .profile: No such file or directory
ppp-71-139-51-110:~ brown$ nano .bash
Error opening terminal: network.
ppp-71-139-51-110:~ brown$ cat .bash
cat: .profile: No such file or directory
ppp-71-139-51-110:~ brown$ grep Hello
<cursor just sits here for a long time 8 hours and still no Hello>

Terminal is running in Tiger 10.4.3 and is started by double clicking on Applications/Utilities/Terminal in the finder. I propose to leave it alone for now and at some other time restore the system files from the DVD-ROM (someday when I'm smarter). Yay team! Thank you very much!

--------------------
Protect your hearing, there is no substitute for the real thing.

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture