homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » running out of space...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: running out of space...
nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted December 18, 2005 14:00      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So on my beautiful iMac has an 80 Gb HD. I am quickly running out of space, and I find that I have only 7 gigs left, even after doing some housecleaning.

In my old machine I have a 160 hb HD (which is kind of wasted there, because it can only see the first 128 Gb).

Basically what I want to know from you people who have experience with this kind of thing, is: can I format the old drive and just do a direct copy of *everything* from my new iMac's HD onto the bigger HD in my old machine and then swap the two, and boot up the iMac like nothing happened?

The reason I want to do it all in one big chunk is the fact that I have my mac pretty heavily customized, and I don't want to go through the pain of re-building and/or re-installing and/or re-configuring all the stuff I have on this thing.

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted December 18, 2005 14:04      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you have Firewire on both, then I would imagine that Carbon Copy Cloner would be just the thing. [Smile] [Smile]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted December 18, 2005 14:18      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Grummy, how did I ever live without you? [Razz]

That seems to be just the application I need, but I have discovered a hole in my plan.

Basically, if I copy my whole eighty gb drive over to the old machine's 160 gb, that'll be fine. The problem, however, is that the old machine can only see the first 128 gb of the big drive due to limitations on the disk controller (it's an ATA/100 or something like that, and it needs ATA/133 to see everything. Oddly enough, linux says it can see everything [Confused] ).

So, after I copy over all my data to the big drive, is there a way to extend the 128 gb partition to encompass the whole disk while not losing any data?

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted December 18, 2005 14:30      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You would have to:
1) back up the old HDD somehow
2) spring the old HDD out of the machine and put it in a new external HDD enclosure
3) then do the CCC thing

Should work, but no promises....I'm not really a geek [Smile]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted December 18, 2005 20:47      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the imac use a 2.5" hard drive? Or was it the Mac Mini?
Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted December 18, 2005 20:58      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You could simplify life and purchase an external hard drive enclosure and put the old drive into it. Slower than actually having it installed in the computer, but as long as you use it for files you don't frequently need fast access to, it should do the trick.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 18, 2005 20:59      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dp004i:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the imac use a 2.5" hard drive? Or was it the Mac Mini?

That depends on which iMac you mean. The Mini certainly uses a 2.5" HD. If you're unlucky, it's a 4200 RPM drive - otherwise it's 5400. I have a feeling the iLuxo & iMac G5 have 2.5" HDs, but there's a chance the Bondi & Co. may have 3.5" drives. You'd think I'd remember after having opened them more than a few times, but I guess I've put that stuff far out of my mind. [Wink] They were made on the cheap, though, so I'd almost expect it to be a 3.5" drive.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted December 18, 2005 21:26      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I'll go with the external enclosure solution.

But just to help clarify the general confusion, when I opened up my iMac G5 to install the new memory, it had a 3.5'' drive. Unless I was much mistaken, which is always possible.

--------------------

zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted December 18, 2005 21:30      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If it is in fact a 3.5" drive, you might as well get a new one, and put the old drive in an external enclosure. Full-size drives are dirt cheap now, you can get a 300 gigger for under $100 if you shop around.
Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sidney
Maximum Newbie
Member # 2743

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted December 18, 2005 23:09      Profile for Sidney     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe that CCC doesn't work with Tiger. Try SuperDuper.

EDIT: I'm living with an iMac FP and a 60 GB HD. Just under 2 GB free [Smile] .

Posts: 16 | From: Montclair, NJ | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 19, 2005 02:53      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CCC does work with Tiger and if you have doubts about it use Pseudo to run as root

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 19, 2005 04:02      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nerdwithnofriends_________________On the older machine the OS9 installer CD has a very good partition set up that will allow the firmware to see bigger drives. I have an old Umax superMac that has two 10Gigers in it but that is in twenty, one gig partitions while setting things up look under options in the drive setup pull down.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
alfrin
Uber Geek
Member # 3836

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 19, 2005 16:59      Profile for alfrin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Want more space? Type this into the terminal:

$ rm -rf /

Good to go [Wink]

--------------------
Art is Resistance / Resistance is Art

Posts: 813 | From: Nevada, USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted December 19, 2005 17:12      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by alfrin:
Want more space? Type this into the terminal:

$ rm -rf /

Good to go [Wink]

Hmmm, I tried that, but then I got some weird error like this on some of my directories:

permission denied

No, I'm not serious. It was a joke. Laugh. Now. Ha ha!

--------------------

AntonTakk
Mini Geek
Member # 4686

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted December 19, 2005 19:24      Profile for AntonTakk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
as for Linux seeing the whole drive, i *believe* it goes something like this:

Not being able to "see" the entire capacity of a HD is a BIOS limitation, but Linux doesn't rely entirely on BIOS for HD access, thus it can often fully utilize drive capacities otherwise not supported by the BIOS [Cool] [Applause] [crazy] [Big Grin]

--------------------
`My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings: Look upon my works, ye mighty, and despair!' - Percy Bysshe Shelley

Posts: 83 | From: Denver, CO | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
dragon34
Geek
Member # 997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 27, 2005 18:32      Profile for dragon34     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
iMac G4 or iMac G5? If it is an iMac G5 I believe they all use Serial ATA drives, and your old machine would be using regular ATA and therefore would not be compatible. If it is an iMac G4, replacing the hard drive voids your warranty and requires thermal paste. (And is a serious PITA as well, having done it a couple of times) I would recommend the external drive enclosure. I have this one: Amazon Link This has the additional benefit of having a backup drive. Just remember to always keep your data in two places. Burning DVD's is a good thing.
//Hates telling people their data is gone because they didn't backup, even though they were told to... repeatedly

Posts: 146 | From: Central PA | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture