homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Reviving the IBM deathstar

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Reviving the IBM deathstar
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted December 08, 2005 12:28      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As you no doubt have guessed from the title, my old IBM Deskstar 60GXP hard drive went through the standard "whirr whirr whirr croak" routine and took a whole lot of data along for a ride. The worst part is, the damn thing won't even spin up now, meaning I can't run any data recovery utilities. Is there any way to at least make it power on, so I can try to copy whatever's left on it to another drive? I have about three years worth of photos and quite a few mp3s on that drive, and it would be way beyond awesome if I can get at least some of that stuff recovered.
Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
magefile
Highlie
Member # 2918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 08, 2005 13:58      Profile for magefile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Put it in a ziplock bag and seal it *tightly*, with as little air in it as possible. Put it in your freezer overnight, then try it again. It might not work; if it does, it won't be for long, so be ready to move everything off of it fast.

--------------------
Let them be stupid - the market will sort it out.

Posts: 743 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
-ct-
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted December 08, 2005 19:45      Profile for -ct-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by magefile:
Put it in a ziplock bag and seal it *tightly*, with as little air in it as possible. Put it in your freezer overnight, then try it again. It might not work; if it does, it won't be for long, so be ready to move everything off of it fast.

while this is a very slight possibility of working for some drives in a few situations, sometimes once in a while - it's probably not gonna work for a deathstar drive

you see, these drives are made of GLASS (with a magnetic substrate)
making them frozen and then applying power will likely only help to shatter the platters as soon as they spin up, assuming they're not cracked and broken already which is the usual problem with them in the 1st place

i've literally opened some of these drives up and found nothing but sand after they crash and ppl try to do w/e they can to get them working

chuck it in the dumpster, and go buy a good WD drive after having learned a lesson

--------------------
Things are always darkest... just before you pull your head out of your butt, void where prohibited, keep away from flame, surcharge(s) may apply.

www.harddriveHELL.com and demoniclemon.com

Posts: 1906 | From: nowhere, man | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted December 08, 2005 20:58      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No dice with the freezer trick, unfortunately. Oh well, time for Mr Drive to meet Mr Hammer...
Erbo
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted December 09, 2005 08:12            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by -ct-:
you see, these drives are made of GLASS (with a magnetic substrate)
making them frozen and then applying power will likely only help to shatter the platters as soon as they spin up, assuming they're not cracked and broken already which is the usual problem with them in the 1st place

GLASS?!?!?!?!? No wonder we've had such problems with them...the original drives in Phoenix (the Electric Minds server) were Deskstars, but we had such problems with them that I replaced them with Maxtors. Those lasted much longer. Now, for about the last year, we've been running on WD drives, which have also been reliable.

I got news awhile back about a class-action suit against IBM over the Deskstar thing...

IP: Logged
The real Stealth
Geek
Member # 4615

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted December 09, 2005 08:39      Profile for The real Stealth   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hate to say it but Call the CIA tell them that you think someone was performing criminal activities on the drive and that you need a dump of the information to be sure...they can rebuild the platters and scan the data off of them with an electron microscope. this will possibly get you your info back...That is provided that A.) They doit, & B.) you havent been performing the criminal activities yourself.

--------------------
The one and only "§†eal†h the Fallen One"...Between Your life And mine are Three realities, Yours, The real one, and Mine. They they form a bridge shapped in the letters D-O-_-N-O-T-_-C-R-O-S-S.

Posts: 141 | From: Battle Creek, MI | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 09, 2005 09:04      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dp004i _________________Now that you have tried the cold treatment try placing the drive in a warm spot but not over boiling temps. for awhile and try again, if it spins up you win if not, well you know the answer.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted December 09, 2005 20:43      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All right, now that I've returned from the company christmas party (which turned out to be nothing bt a giant drinking contest) after having one too many drinks, it's time to give that piece of junk a proper burial. Now, where did I put my hammer?...

PS: Grammar/spelling nazis, here's your chance to shine.

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 09, 2005 22:37      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dp004i:
All right, now that I've returned from the company christmas party (which turned out to be nothing bt a giant drinking contest) after having one too many drinks, it's time to give that piece of junk a proper burial. Now, where did I put my hammer?...

Funny....you really don't appear to have done much wrong. Only one typo, and the slightest of punctuation deviation. ;P

Simply amazing - a good typist whilst drunk. [Big Grin]

Then again, I admit feeling a bit proud to have successfully talked tech with someone while a tad 'cheery.' I think that'd be a great interview technique - get someone mildly sloshed, and see if they can still talk the talk - if you know what you're talking about while pissed, you're the real deal. [Big Grin] (Or an expert BSer.)

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted December 09, 2005 23:09      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
quote:
Originally posted by dp004i:

Funny....you really don't appear to have done much wrong. Only one typo, and the slightest of punctuation deviation. ;P

Simply amazing - a good typist whilst drunk. [Big Grin]

Then again, I admit feeling a bit proud to have successfully talked tech with someone while a tad 'cheery.' I think that'd be a great interview technique - get someone mildly sloshed, and see if they can still talk the talk - if you know what you're talking about while pissed, you're the real deal. [Big Grin] (Or an expert BSer.)

In soviet russia, ze vodka drrrinks you! Luckily, I was one of the few who stayed fairly late and didn't get completely shitfaced, meaning people will be asking me what they did there, not the other way around.
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted December 10, 2005 08:41      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All efforts to bring the drive back to life failed, it's been declared officially dead and given a proper burial and the bottom of a garbage can. The good part is, some of the mp3s were also on my ipod, and I can always shoot more pictures of ugly buildings, ships, sunsets and whatnot... Most of them were downright crappy anyway, so good riddance.

The moral of the story: if you still have an IBM deathstar in your computer, do yourself a favor and toss it as soon as you can - it's only a matter of time until it dies on you.

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 10, 2005 10:03      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The better moral to the story...don't kill me for saying it, but:

Backup, backup, backup!

I have my digital pictures backed up in 3 places. I'd be quite upset if they were to disappear off the face of the earth.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture