homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » What keeps you entertained?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What keeps you entertained?
Elvermere
Geek
Member # 2456

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted November 25, 2005 04:28      Profile for Elvermere     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let me prefix the next questions by saying....I'm looking for some stuff to keep me entertained. So I'm going to try sucking your brains (not literally, and no spungo, not any other part) to try and keep me entertained.

1) What book would you recommend reading, which is unlikely to have been read by anyone else here?

2) What movie would you recommend seeing, which is unlikely to have been watched by anyone else here?

3) What podcast do you recommend from a geeks point of view?

4) What other podcasts do you recommend?

Just throw the answers out there people.....it isn't going to matter if someone else HAS read/seen/heard it. And of course, feel free to justify your recommendations! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Duct Tape is like the force.
It has a light side and a dark side and it holds the universe together.

Posts: 113 | From: Perth, West AU | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 25, 2005 04:48      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1) What book would you recommend reading, which is unlikely to have been read by anyone else here?

'Whatever' by Michel Houellebecq (highly presumptuous - please excuse me. )

2) What movie would you recommend seeing, which is unlikely to have been watched by anyone else here?

Buffalo '66, with Vincent Gallo and Christina Ricci.

Is there an audio-book version of the 'Joy of Linux'?

Anything by the 'Dresden Dolls' [Smile]

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
skylar
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 25, 2005 06:06      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quoting Spungo:
Anything by the 'Dresden Dolls'
[Applause] ... ah, they're great. A friend of mine told me he knew this great "Brechtian Punk Cabaret" band, about a year back. I've been hooked ever since.

quoting Elvermere:
'The Secret History' by Donna Tartt; 'Eleanor Rigby' by Douglas Coupland; 'A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius' by Dave Eggers

In My Father's Den

...skipping questions 3 and 4, because I have no clue... sorry...

--------------------
"arm, aber geeky"

Posts: 1994 | From: Deutschland | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 25, 2005 06:26      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by skylar:
quoting Spungo:
Anything by the 'Dresden Dolls'
[Applause] ... ah, they're great. A friend of mine told me he knew this great "Brechtian Punk Cabaret" band, about a year back. I've been hooked ever since.

The alive version of 'Coin-Operated Boy' be one of me fave songlets in me puff, like. I mean to go gigwise with much verve next time they us shorewards thusly go... thus, as such. [Smile]

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 25, 2005 07:04      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Elvermere:
Let me prefix the next questions by saying....I'm looking for some stuff to keep me entertained. So I'm going to try sucking your brains (not literally, and no spungo, not any other part) to try and keep me entertained.

The age of spiritual machines by dr ray kurzweil.

American Pop.

Fuck podcasts.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 25, 2005 07:08      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, I don't know if these are really hidden gems or if everyone already know about them, but here are my suggestion.

Books: Good Omens, by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchet. Hilarious.
On a more serious tone the ¯A serie by Van Vogt may not be as well known as Asimov's Foundation, but just as good.

Movies:
A lesser-known work of Jim Henson is The Dark Crystal. Not as entertaining as Labyrinth, but still worth watching, if only because it is a Jim Henson work.
I don't know how many of you know about it, but I consider "The Thirteenth Floor" to be one of the best SF movie - so much bigger on the brain factor as the story takes precedence over the special effects. And it is well acted too!

I'll stop here. My other favorites are probably too well known to need mentioning.

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 25, 2005 08:45      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm... well, I know at least one other person here has read this, but it's not on the geek reading list, and it's great: The Hotel New Hampshire, by John Irving.

Anyone here seen Koyaanisqatsi? It's amazing, and beautiful.

Diggnation (diggnation.com) and Systm (systm.org)

For entertainment value, Tiki Bar TV is a fantastic, light-hearted comdy show. If you were looking for audio only, Infected (revision3.com) looks promising. And of course, there's Rocketboom.

Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 25, 2005 09:19      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1) What book would you recommend reading, which is unlikely to have been read by anyone else here? I wait for the movie [Razz] But I'll recommend "Teany Book: Stories, Food, Romance, Cartoons and, of Course, Tea "

"It" Starring Clara Bow, NOT the Steven King one (though a good one)
(Stereo, I saw a test screening of the dark crystal before it was released, got to do a Q&A afterwards about what we liked and didn't like.)

"This week in tech"

"KFI The Tech Guy" (much of it covers basic stuff, but you'll learn something new every time)

4) What other podcasts do you recommend
"Projekt Podkast" (get past the cheesy intro and you'll be in for a treat of great music and interviews from Projekt artists done by a fan of Projekt Records).

"Open Source Sex" (adults only!).

Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted November 25, 2005 14:14      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
'The Secrets of Dr Taverner' by Dion Fortune, although I can't comment on the likelihood of other GCers having read it [Smile]

'The Shipping Forecast' - with the same comment as is Q1

I don't 'do' podcasts [Razz]

See Q3

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted November 25, 2005 17:40      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

The Coyote series by Allen Steele. You can read the short story that started the series here.

Waking Ned Devine.

Evil Genius Chronicles is good sometimes.

I'd say OSS, but Bibo already did.

If you like stupid, offensive humor that doesn't require thought, The Dawn and Drew Show (tasteless and for adults only, so I'm not linking it here) can be fun to listen to. Who knew Beavis and Butthead had real life, married equivalents?

Head Up Your Ass Headlines is good for a laugh most weekdays.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture