homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Hypothetic call for testers

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hypothetic call for testers
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 23, 2005 13:26      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi all. Just to know if it's doable before making plans...

I'm working on a web-based training tool about the Canadian Census (to be held next year). At first the target audience was teachers (up to 12th grade, but I don't know the starting grade), but the upper management liked it so much they would like it to go full-scale public. Around December 6.

Now, the tricky part is: at work, all we have is Windows 2000 and IE6. Of course, there is a testing team who can review it for other platforms, but they say they may not have much time. (Plus, we would be charged for it - don't ask! governments agencies can have silly rules - while my boss and I pretty much do this at no charge for our "client.") I can test it at home on MacOS 10.4/(Safari, Opera, IE5, Mozilla, Firefox, OmniWeb, etc.), but I can't test on other Windows version, nor on Linux. (Older MacOS versions might be a problem too.)

So, a quick show of hand: who would be able and willing to test it and give constructive feedback, in the case we can't get it through the official testing team. As it is to be made public, all I'd ask is not to share it until the release date. Either answer here or send me a PM, with the configuration you could test it with.

Thanks! (Of course, no remuneration except for my gratitude, and the pleasure to have a advance "screening" of said learning tool. I'll throw in a virtual hug if you really want one. [Wink] )

P.S.: if people want to, I could share the final result with you on the release date.

P.P.S.: We already have done some testing for accessibility (free of charge, this one, and lots of changes to do [Embarrassed] ), but it would be nice to have some more done, especially for Flash images and simulations. So if you have some disability and use assistive technology, I'd love to hear from you.

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 23, 2005 13:44      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Err... I could try the Firefox/XP combination if you like... though I can't tell quite what I'm agreeing to... [Smile]

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted November 23, 2005 13:49      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I could have a looksee with OS X (10.2.8) and Firefox/Safari...if that would be any help?

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 23, 2005 13:54      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So long as it's not inbred southern prawn, I could probably check it out on Firefox/WinXP, OS X, and Debian GNU/Linux. Also, Konqueror on Linux, as well as Seamonkey on Windows. I'm guessing it won't work in links or dillo, though. :-/ [Wink]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
alfrin
Uber Geek
Member # 3836

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 23, 2005 14:33      Profile for alfrin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Firefox/Konquerer/Mozilla/Epiphay (ick) Gentoo Linux combo?

--------------------
Art is Resistance / Resistance is Art

Posts: 813 | From: Nevada, USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted November 23, 2005 16:24      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks everyone!

Don't worry, Spungo. The learning tool (for some political/technical reason, we can't call it a course... go figure!) takes about half an hour to an hour to go through, but as testers, you won't need to read everything, just make sure it appears properly. For example. my early test with Firefox on OS X was a dramatic flop: things showed up all around, then the screen was redrawn and everything just disappeared. My professionnal honor can't let this happen!

Expect a PM from me with the details as soon as everything is set and OK'd- probably by the end of the week.

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 23, 2005 19:19      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can do Safari after 2 December (too busy at work to do it sooner). I can also do it on IE or Firefox over dial-up on XP at home.

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted November 23, 2005 20:08      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since most of the common stuff is covered already, I'll volunteer that I can look at it with Opera on Windows XP.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 24, 2005 00:43      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can do IE and Firefox on WinXP, though I think that's pretty much covered already
Posts: 1141 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 24, 2005 00:49      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Running OSX 10.4.x here and Safari & Firefox (I also have Opera but rarely use it)
Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Elvermere
Geek
Member # 2456

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 25, 2005 04:15      Profile for Elvermere     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fedora Core 4 with Firefox here.

--------------------
Duct Tape is like the force.
It has a light side and a dark side and it holds the universe together.

Posts: 113 | From: Perth, West AU | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted November 28, 2005 13:57      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Stereo

First thoughts using OS X 10.2.8, Safari 1.0.3 and Firefox 1.0.7.

The site is very clearly set out, left-justification and relative text sizes are consistent in both browsers. However, the bookmark buttons are rounded (aqua-style) in Safari, but they are rectangular in Firefox.

The boxed menu on the left has a couple of 'glitches' though - in each browser the title for chapter 4 (Understanding Census Data) breaks out of the box border, and in Safari, the words " Understanding Census Data" start on the line below the numeral 4.

I notices that not all the sub-pages, 1.2, 1.3, etc, have a graphic. Sometimes the text looks ok without a graphic, but on some pages the text "wraps" round an empty space suggesting a graphic was intended. This occurs in both browsers.

My last initial observation is that the main chapter pages load smoothly in Firefox, but for those pages in Safari the graphic loads first and then a 'refresh' is needed to complete loading the page.

Having said all this, I am impressed with the site, the content is well-structured with a balanced amount of information on each page and a clear, easy to read layout.

I'll post again when I've had a closer look.
Grummash [Smile]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 28, 2005 15:12      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
See PM for some assorted details.

Basically, my only other thing would be to recommend scaling back unnecessary Flash usage - particularly for stuff that can't be clicked...it just slows the page load.

Otherwise, a great site. Good work.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture