homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Kipper recipies!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Kipper recipies!
SilverBlade
Alpha Geek
Member # 3541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 09, 2005 10:06      Profile for SilverBlade   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I went to Sainsbury's yesterday and I picked up some kipper fillets for 79p at the reduced section. I just realized that I haven't the foggiest what to do with them, as I've never had kippers before!

Can anybody recommend me some easy and cheap recipies which does not involve an oven, grill or freezer?

Thanks muchas!

--------------------
http://www.silver-blade.net

Posts: 303 | From: Hong Kong | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 09, 2005 10:35      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1 - Would probably do wonders with pasta and white sauce (like alfredo, or replace the bacon in a carbonara).

2 - Quickly grill in a frying pan (if you can), serve with mashed potatoes and mixed vegetables.

3 - Marinate them, eat as topping.

4 - Stew in Garlic Head sauce.

Please keep in mind that I never had kipper either, but that's what I'd do. Smoke-cured fish usually don't require much preparation, or any fancy recipes.

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted November 09, 2005 11:06      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Boil some long-grain rice & then drain it. Also hard-boil an egg and cut it into quarters. Flake all the meat off the kippers and discard the Skellington. Saute some curry spices in a little butter in a shallow pan then add the kipper meat, rice & egg. When everthing is nice and hot, you have Kedgeree. Enjoy [Smile]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 09, 2005 11:18      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe they are traditionally smoked, then had for breakfast with Ace Rimmer. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
Miss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 09, 2005 11:33      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TMBWITW,PB:
I believe they are traditionally smoked, then had for breakfast with Ace Rimmer. [Big Grin]

Word.

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 09, 2005 11:55      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by spungo:
quote:

Word.
Sentence.
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 09, 2005 16:27      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SilverBlade__________________Here in the state I live Kippers are usually canned in small tins like sardines, open and have with crackers, cheese or what have you. Now one of the best fish is my cousins smoked steelhead trout, I usually avoid most home smoked food except for my cousin;s, as I know how his father taught him to do the smoking. I also like to go the straights and buy from the commercial fisheries Smoked WhiteFish now that is good eating, you just tear it apart with your fingers and eat.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
alfrin
Uber Geek
Member # 3836

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 09, 2005 17:37      Profile for alfrin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:
quote:
Originally posted by spungo:
quote:

Word.
Sentence.
Paragraph

--------------------
Art is Resistance / Resistance is Art

Posts: 813 | From: Nevada, USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
supaboy
SuperFan!
Member # 183

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 10, 2005 05:46      Profile for supaboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

How the heck do you keep them lit?
Posts: 1767 | From: Columbia, SC USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 10, 2005 06:53      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
:Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:

quote:
:Originally posted by spungo:

quote:
:Originally posted by TMBWITW,PB:

Word.

Sentence.

Paragraph

\subsubsection{Subsubsection}
Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 10, 2005 07:40      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My mother used to make marinated kippers when I was a boy, and they were rather delicious. The vinegar cuts the rich oiliness of the fish. I found this recipe by googling "marinated kippers" and it looks worth trying.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture