homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Argh! Permanent pen!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Argh! Permanent pen!
SilverBlade
Alpha Geek
Member # 3541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 17, 2005 16:09      Profile for SilverBlade   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was writing something with a permanent pen marker and when I lifted my paper off I realized that I had written all over my study table as well!

How do I get rid of the horrible marks (and not get charged) but not using stuff like nail varnish remover which destroys the table (which I will also get charged for)?

Thanks!

--------------------
http://www.silver-blade.net

Posts: 303 | From: Hong Kong | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 17, 2005 16:23      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Silverblade,

You can try WD-40 or rubbing alcohol. Of course that does depend on the surface.

If it's a hard plastic I have had good luck with both.

edit: I just decided to try out both. The rubbing alcohol works best removing sharpie. So that would be my choice.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
sosumi
Uber Geek
Member # 1106

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 17, 2005 16:25      Profile for sosumi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Try rubbing alchohol.

oops, beaten to it. [Wink]

Posts: 845 | From: Boston | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 17, 2005 17:20      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lemon juice or orange-scented all-purpose Windex will remove Sharpie ink. Just don't use all-purpose Windex on painted surfaces--it works great as a paint-stripper! (Washed the walls in my room at college with orange-scented all-purpose Windex before painting them and discovered the paper just peeled right off after the Windex soaked through. Made the paint-stripping job so much easier!)

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 17, 2005 17:41      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hydrogen peroxyde usually works great to remove stain without damaging a surface. But watch out!

(Although it can do nothing if the ink was fixed by another substance - I had a dress I had marked with "ereasable" ink, but my after a while, it didn't come off. My aunt tried many things on one sleeve; then I tried H2O2: it worked wonder on the sleeve she left alone, but the one she tried to clean remained stained. Too bad; I really wish I could wear that one.)

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 17, 2005 18:57      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shroom beat me to it.

Pure ethanol or methanol would also get the job done. So does chloroform.

Repeated freeze-thaws in liquid nitrogen will wipe out red sharpie ink. Doesn't seem to work with black though.

Edit: chloroform will probably destroy your study table as well as any other plastic it comes into contact with, so that might not be such a good idea after all.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 17, 2005 19:11      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vinegar sometimes works, depends on the ink.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 17, 2005 20:08      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It used to be that hairspray would remove ball-point pen ink and King syrup would get rid of grass stains. The former doesn't work so well anymore 'cause of changes in the chemical makeups of both products.

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture