homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » My lousy gpa

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: My lousy gpa
Vlad
Newbie Larva
Member # 4473

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted October 12, 2005 17:29      Profile for Vlad     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Currently I am a sophmore in my high school. I am getting good grades and currently I calculated my gpa to be about a 3.7. But last year my gpa ranged from 3.0 - 3.14. For me that is horrible. The question that I have to ask is, what colleges can I go to, with that gpa?
Posts: 6 | From: Milwaukee | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted October 12, 2005 17:38      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Many. Do well on the tests, especially the PSAT's, and colleges will be groveling at your feet.

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

Vlad
Newbie Larva
Member # 4473

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted October 12, 2005 17:46      Profile for Vlad     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Really? Maybe it is because I have not told you my class rank. I was in the 50%. So this year I am studying my ass of to get a 4.2 gpa. I can get a 4.2 if I get an A in my AP Java class. I think.
Posts: 6 | From: Milwaukee | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 12, 2005 17:53      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't worry about GPAs over 4.0. Most, if not all, schools recalculate so they're based on a 4.0 scale.

Also, don't neglect your community service, extracurriculars, hobbies, leadership, intelligent reading... Schools look for a well-rounded candidate (and to see if you can continue to be a good student while you're busy outside of the classroom).

I used to work in college admissions, and we took so much more into account than just GPA and SAT scores.

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 12, 2005 18:26      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They'll be looking at two things as far as your grades are concerned: your cumulative GPA and your trend. If you've got a decent cume and you're trending upwards, you'll have a shot at the good ones. And whatever else you do, DO NOT tank your junior year.

PSAT is meaningless. It's the SAT score that gets you in. My PSAT was shit. My SAT was good. I had a cumulative of like 3.7. Taken together, I managed to get into a good (but not Ivy League) private university out east with a half a ride in academic scholarships. It also helped I had my high school's science department backing me up.

God, I'm so glad I'm past all that crap now.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
The White Tree
Geek
Member # 4040

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 12, 2005 18:38      Profile for The White Tree     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also, worry about your class standing, not just GPA. But I agree with Rhonwyyn. Don't forget all that other stuff too.
Posts: 201 | From: York, PA, residing/school at NNPTC at NWS Charleston, SC. | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
supergoo

SuperFan!
Member # 2280

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 12, 2005 21:56      Profile for supergoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well if you do well on the PSAT your junior year, then you could potentially qualify for a National Merit scholarship and colleges will send you tons of mail. But Xanthine is right, the SAT counts for much more. Doing well on it doesn't make or break you, but a high score certainly helps. However, it does carry a lot more weight in big state schools, simply because they can't look at 50,000 applicants all very holistically.

Right now I'm a senior and am sick of all of this college stuff. Honestly, I didn't really think about college until the middle of last year. I guess it's good that you're concerned about your grades, but don't worry about it too much. I have found that an "oh well" attitude is often much more healthy than stress [Smile]

--------------------
Y los sueños, sueños son.

Posts: 675 | From: Boston 'burbs | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 13, 2005 02:43      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by supergoo:
I have found that an "oh well" attitude is often much more healthy than stress [Smile]

Yup... good advice there. It somehow aslways seems to work out in the end...
Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
jordanv
Assimilated
Member # 3189

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 13, 2005 05:10      Profile for jordanv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the American system sounds lame

how do they compare between schools?

it all sounds so discriminatory and so biased against disadvantaged students

Posts: 364 | From: a house (in Sydney) | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
The White Tree
Geek
Member # 4040

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 14, 2005 21:50      Profile for The White Tree     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Truly it is more difficult, but then again there are disadvantaged students who get into better schools. Maybe they just try harder...
Posts: 201 | From: York, PA, residing/school at NNPTC at NWS Charleston, SC. | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 14, 2005 22:00      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you want to talk disadvantaged student...

<-- is a girl from the inner city who lived in a single-parent family with below-poverty-level income. Somehow my mom scraped together enough cash to send my siblings and me to a Mennonite school. My GPA was 3.84 and I scored 1410 on my SATs. I got into Penn State Main Campus my freshman year. Circumstances can be surmounted! [Smile]

--------------------

i_need_a_pillow
Geek
Member # 2765

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted October 15, 2005 07:53      Profile for i_need_a_pillow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Right now I'm a senior and am sick of all of this college stuff.

I couldn't agree more; essays are the worst part. I've got so much crap to write at the moment (app essays, scholarship essays, papers for classes, etc.). Still, most of that stuff (especially the scholarship stuff) will be done by the end of the month (which is also when my MIT app's due).

I just want all this to be done.

quote:
I have found that an "oh well" attitude is often much more healthy than stress [Smile]

True enough, but now I'm scrambling to get stuff done. ^_^

--------------------
The Guide is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate.

Posts: 104 | From: I'm here. Where else? | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
ASM65816
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 712

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 15, 2005 09:55      Profile for ASM65816   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Speaking of essays, something I strongly disagree on is when you can write a "perfect" paper and get a "B" on it because the (blah blah blah) Association of writing says it's not correctly "formatted."

If the format is so important, let the students download a template for the documents instead of forcing them to interpret some committee's rules and going on trial and error. (Sorry, I've still got some resentment against some educational institution.)

--------------------
Once a proud programmer of Apple II's, he now spends his days and nights in cheap dives fraternizing with exotic dancers....

Posts: 1035 | From: Third rock from sun. | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 15, 2005 12:15      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that sort of thing is called prep for real life. You should see what people go through to get a thesis submitted. Or a grant. Or a paper.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
The White Tree
Geek
Member # 4040

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 15, 2005 20:33      Profile for The White Tree     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You got into main campus in your freshman year? Holy crap!
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 15, 2005 20:42      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
White Tree: Yup. Only university to which I applied. Mom tried to pull a joke on me and told me I was admitted to York Campus. I tried to accept it, and then she told me she was just joking. I was very relieved, 'cause Main was my first--and only--love. (I was on a trip to my third National FFA Convention in Kansas City, MO, when my acceptance letter came, so Mom read it to me over the phone.)

--------------------

Doco

SuperFan!
Member # 371

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 16, 2005 18:23      Profile for Doco   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rhonwyyn - National FFA Convention - really!?!?! I didn't know there was another FFA alumn around these parts. The geek and ag worlds don't often overlap. I only went once, but had a blast there. So what did you all do in FFA?
Posts: 419 | From: Minneapolis, MN | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Chesty
Assimilated
Member # 2460

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 16, 2005 18:50      Profile for Chesty         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Be careful what you call "good schools".

More self made millionaires have come from City College than Yale and Harvard combined.

Some schools merely channel parents' money into relationships that will result in high paying jobs.

What you need to look at is the field you are going into and look at many options. If I understand corresctly, your GPA is based on 5 point scale and not that good.

Ball State U has a scholarship (paid by David Letterman) that is for C students- If you have an A or B average you are not eligible. Letterman believes (as do many others) that perfect grades might look good to some but indicate a lack of social skills and less of a well-rounded life.

Google what you plan to major in and find schools that have good programs, ask guidance counselors, parents, parents' friends, your boss (if you have a job now - many future employers will respect that) and people who work in that field for advice.

Don't be afraid to email or write to leaders in your desired field now and ask them. You will be suprised how many dieticians, for example, will shower you with info - because not many people recognize them for their knowledge.

My 14-year old has already corresponded with Lego designers and computer programmers in search of career advice.

Posts: 416 | From: The Beach | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 17, 2005 10:32      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doco:
Rhonwyyn - National FFA Convention - really!?!?! I didn't know there was another FFA alumn around these parts. The geek and ag worlds don't often overlap. I only went once, but had a blast there. So what did you all do in FFA?

Wow, you were FFA too, Doco? Cool!

I went four years, actually. The first two were as a National Talent participant. I played at the Kansas City Club, on the entertainment stage in the exhibitor hall, and on the main stage in front of 40,000 people. Talk about a rush! Especially when I said I was from PA and all our delegates cheered. [Big Grin]

The third time I went to Nationals as a competitor. My team had placed second in Farm Business Management the previous year at states and won a trip to Eastern States Exposition in Mass. We placed first there, then came home and won states the next summer, earning our trip to Nationals. We earned a silver award there. One of the chapters from the mid-west won the competition (as usual). Somehow they seem to have a corner-on-the-market.

The fourth year I went as a representative from Penn State. I was a Collegiate FFA member and freshman ag ed major (that was before I changed my major to comm arts & sciences--formerly speech comm) and worked at a booth in the exhibitors hall. That was the first year the convention was held in Louisville, KY. It was fun, but not as much fun as Kansas City. There's just something about KC.

What was your CDE and your work projects? What took you to KC?

Oh, and the geek and ag world interlap more than people realize. On the big farms out west and in Brazil, John Deere and Case IH sell combines equipped with GPS and computers to track location, production, treatment schedules, etc. In some of our farms in Lancaster, automation has begun playing a huge part. I've toured one farm where the cows have been implanted with a tiny device that tracks the cow's reproductive cycle. A computer tracks her progress and alerts the farmer when she's in-heat (ready to be bred). Then, too, there's the milking parlor that records which cow is which, how much milk she gives, tests the milk and either sends it to the tank or dumps it, depending on milk quality and antibiotic/infection content.

Then of course, technology is constantly improving the way equipment is produced, food is harvested and processed, the way it's marketed and delivered to the consumer...

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture