homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » 4GB Ipod Nano(Soon to be Released) vs. Last Generation Ipod(hard drive based)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 4GB Ipod Nano(Soon to be Released) vs. Last Generation Ipod(hard drive based)
gladiator
Geek Larva
Member # 4387

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted October 10, 2005 00:00      Profile for gladiator     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alright Ipod owners, I'm ready to drop some dough on an Ipod but debating on the new flash based nanos vs. the last generation Ipod hard drive ones. I have two questions. I will be jogging with my Ipod and want to know the reliability of playback during jogging of the two Ipods. Also, volume is important. Which produces the best volume without sacrificing sound quality. Will be jogging on windy days and need the decibels to get me through.

--------------------
Gladiator:(noun)Celebrity and entertainer for the Roman masses.... without the paparazzi

Posts: 28 | From: St. Louis | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
supaboy
SuperFan!
Member # 183

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 10, 2005 07:24      Profile for supaboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you're going to run, Flash-based music players have no moving parts to break. I got an iPod shuffle because my hard drive-based Rio Karma complained every time I took it running.

If you run like I do, get an OtterBox. iPods are not waterproof, but the OtterBox is. Now I even take it swimming.

I use a pair of Sony MDR-J10 clip-on in-ear headphones. They were pretty cheap, they're more comfortable for me than earbuds, and with either the Karma or the iPod they deliver plenty of good sound.

Posts: 1767 | From: Columbia, SC USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 10, 2005 08:04      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I doubt that it'll be iPod-related, but you might want to wait until after the 12th of this month before buying any Apple products.
Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 10, 2005 09:00      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Even the hard drive based iPods are good for running because they have a 2 minute skip protection, so I doubt you'll have any problems. The hard drive based iPods hold more music and can also hold pictures.
Posts: 5844 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted October 10, 2005 09:08      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The nanos do pictures too. And they are small, which may make jogging with one a bit more pleasant. I'd go have a look at both if you can, to see which one you like the feel of best.

If it were me deciding though, I'd get a nano. [hearts]

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 10, 2005 11:02      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What would you do for a nano?
Posts: 2901 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 10, 2005 12:04      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by quantumfluff:
What would you do for a nano?

Damn....yeesh. I certainly wouldn't want to be that guy when applying for a job. Google, anyone? [Wink]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The White Tree
Geek
Member # 4040

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 10, 2005 13:05      Profile for The White Tree     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just use my ipod when I am driving (when I have access to a car) or when I go out to buy something, so I have an older generation model. It really depends on what you do. If you aren't using it in any sort of situation that would cause adverse effects, then just save money and get an older gen model. That's my advice.
Posts: 201 | From: York, PA, residing/school at NNPTC at NWS Charleston, SC. | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 10, 2005 18:47      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't believe they printed that story in a newspaper! And how'd the paper find out about the party?

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 11, 2005 07:27      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by gladiator:
Alright Ipod owners, I'm ready to drop some dough on an Ipod but debating on the new flash based nanos vs. the last generation Ipod hard drive ones. I have two questions. I will be jogging with my Ipod and want to know the reliability of playback during jogging of the two Ipods. Also, volume is important. Which produces the best volume without sacrificing sound quality. Will be jogging on windy days and need the decibels to get me through.

Buy something else not made by apple, since iPods, IMNSHO aren't worth the inflated expense, and then take yourself to dinner and a movie with the money left over when you buy something comparable for $100 or more less.
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 11, 2005 23:12      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:
Buy something else not made by apple, since iPods, IMNSHO aren't worth the inflated expense, and then take yourself to dinner and a movie with the money left over when you buy something comparable for $100 or more less.

You haven't used many MP3 players have you? It's not all hype, the iPod's interface and ease of use outshines the other players in the market. I suffered through 3 different MP3 players before I ended up getting an iPod. I always tell people that say the iPod is all hype to go to an electronics store and play with the various MP3 players. The iPod interface makes sense and is the least confusing. And stay away from players that use Music Match software!

Back to the question, I'd say go with a flash based for jogging. If you have a huge music collection get a regular iPod for all around use and for jogging get a shuffle.

Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 12, 2005 02:34      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just gave my wife a 4Gb black nano for our wedding anniversary. It arrived yesterday, and it is more beautiful, even than I imagined. Just gorgeous. And Bibo is right, Apple stuff works right, in a way no other manufacturer seems able to emulate.

Overhyped? - Phoooey!

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 12, 2005 06:10      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bibo:
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:

You haven't used many MP3 players have you? It's not all hype, the iPod's interface and ease of use outshines the other players in the market. I suffered through 3 different MP3 players before I ended up getting an iPod. I always tell people that say the iPod is all hype to go to an electronics store and play with the various MP3 players. The iPod interface makes sense and is the least confusing. And stay away from players that use Music Match software!
Yes I have. Many. While I agree the iPod's interface is sleek and awesome, and well constructed, it's still not worth the pricetag.
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 12, 2005 07:25      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bibo:
Back to the question, I'd say go with a flash based for jogging. If you have a huge music collection get a regular iPod for all around use and for jogging get a shuffle.

While I agree the iPod is a killer product, with a great UI, and beautiful hardware design, I must take issue with this particular statement. We don't all have tons of disposable income to buy *TWO* portable music players to satisfy various wants.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 15, 2005 18:53      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I held an iPod nano in my hands for the first time yesterday, it is truly a thing of beauty, and a technological marvel. (even the 2G has more storage than the first computer centre I worked in).

I think I'm in love. [hearts]

quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
We don't all have tons of disposable income to buy *TWO* portable music players to satisfy various wants.

Sadly, true. [cry baby]

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10668 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture