homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Wireless Networks

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Wireless Networks
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted August 05, 2005 20:11      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I bought a G3 PowerBook from dp004i, originally with the idea of sending it with my sister when she goes to college. I've decided to keep the Pismo and make my sister get her own laptop. (She could get a new Dell for what I paid for the Pismo.) Since the house I'm moving to has a cable modem, I need to know how to make the house a hotspot.

What kind of wireless card should I get for the Pismo? What kind of router? (I'm thinking it's a router I'll need to liaise between the cable modem and my wireless card, right?) The house is fairly small, so I don't know that I'll need anything terribly powerful, but it would be nice to be able to use my laptop in my room which is in the basement. The cable modem's on the second floor.

EDIT: This card is priced for $50 on craigslist: Apple OriginalAIRPORT CARD WIRELESS M7600LL/E 128,V2 802.11E. Should I buy it?

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 06, 2005 00:38      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Apple's routers are the most stylish if you like their sci-fi alien looks. They are also the easiest to set up, though it is seldom a completely straightforward process, in part because of the varying registration requirements of different ISPs. You also have the option of outputting your iTunes to your HiFi speakers if you get an Airport Express, which is pretty cool.

Against this they are absurdly over priced. You can get other brands that perform as well or better as routers for about half the price of Apple kit. You have to configure these using your browser by entering the IP address of the router. If you understood what that last sentence meant, you will probably be able to do this successfully. Netgear kit is fairly good looking, and its configuration wizard will guide you through the process fairly easily.

Whatever your decision - do it. It is well worthwhile.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Matias
Highlie
Member # 4216

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 06, 2005 07:32      Profile for Matias   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Netgear fan here!

--------------------
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Posts: 516 | From: The Land of the mouse.... | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 06, 2005 19:57      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'ld go with linksys. They are easy to set up and very competitvely priced.
Posts: 2901 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted August 06, 2005 21:17      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ISP setup should be no issue- just plug your wireless router into the cable modem and you'll be good to go.

A note on security, though: use WPA. WEP is ridiculously easy to crack, and while I doubt people would feel motivated to break into your network to look at your data, you're always better off safe than you are sorry.

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted August 07, 2005 03:31      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do not get the airport card. It will not work in a pismo. While many cards may or may not work with the mac (I recall that WaveLAN/Lucent/Orinnoco cards worked in classic without any additional drivers, don't remember if that works in X though; cisco aironet cards are nice and work in windows/linux/classic/x but are pricy; many cards won't work at all without buying a $30 driver from iogear), this one will definitely work [Smile]
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted August 07, 2005 08:10      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tut, that card will work, but will use up her PC slot doing so, which imho would suck.
I'd get a card that fits in the airport card slot, here's some places to find one...

http://www.powerbookmedic.com/Apple-Airport-Card-80211b-p-16144.html

http://www.dvwarehouse.com/products/23585.html

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000899ZD/102-3443048-7275304?v=glance

http://www.smalldog.com/product/32833

or eBay.

Here's a handy dandy guide to installing it, and just about everything else on your baby.
http://pbfixit.com/Guide/6.0.0.html

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 08, 2005 12:04      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the links, Snaggy. Wow, this could be turning out to be an expensive proposition!

I'm really curious about the price differences. One group has them around $120, the other group is priced in the $80s. What's the difference? I don't have a huge budget for this, so I'm leaning toward a cheaper card. From what I've read, some of the AirPort cards come with antennas and some without. If I get Apple M7600LL/E 802.11b AirPort Card from Amazon, will that have the antenna? (The description on Amazon is less than helpful.)

Oh. Just looked at Tut's link. MacWireless 11g PC Card for under $80 sounds good too, but loading into my PC slot doesn't sound fun.

(I didn't realize how complicated this could be!)

EDIT: I could get the card from Amazon for $50~ if I sign up for the credit card. [Razz]

--------------------

Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 08, 2005 12:16      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eek, another question for you. As you can tell, I have no idea what I'm doing here 'cause the world of Mac is so new to me. I need the names of base stations that will work with an AirPort card. The house I'm renting has Comcast cable, so I'll have a cable modem.

I know Cally said it'll be worth it, but I'm starting to feel a bit in over my head. If I have to spend more than $200 to get my Pismo going wireless, I'm gonna throw in the towel and just get a long network cable. [Frown]

--------------------

CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 08, 2005 12:29      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:
Eek, another question for you. As you can tell, I have no idea what I'm doing here 'cause the world of Mac is so new to me. I need the names of base stations that will work with an AirPort card. The house I'm renting has Comcast cable, so I'll have a cable modem.

I know Cally said it'll be worth it, but I'm starting to feel a bit in over my head. If I have to spend more than $200 to get my Pismo going wireless, I'm gonna throw in the towel and just get a long network cable. [Frown]

Rhonnie,

I think any base station will work. And if you go with something like a D-Link it can be very inexpensive.

edit: When you say sole mate, do you mean the perfect man to walk all over? [Big Grin] [Wink]

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2463 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 08, 2005 14:22      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rhonwyyn

I have several Macs at home and toyed with the idea of going wireless but in the end retro fitting all my old kit with wireless cards, plus a wireless router, etc. just got silly money (like I could replace one of my old Macs with a newer one for less).

A 50UKP router and about 15UKP of cat 5 and 10 minutes with the drill and a long masonry bit solved the problem (but my Macs are all desktops), looked at buying a Pismo or G3 iBook recently but in the end we couldn't justify the expense for a "luxury" Mac. (Bit miffed that I just missed out on a Graphite 466MHz SE clamshell at 200UKP though... swiped off me at the last 30 seconds and I couldn't get another 5UKP bid in in time...)
[Wink]

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1935 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted August 08, 2005 19:46      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snaggy:
Tut, that card will work, but will use up her PC slot doing so, which imho would suck.
I'd get a card that fits in the airport card slot, here's some places to find one...

wups! i forgot.... i thought that the pismo was just the lombard + firewire - scsi, not + airport too... heh
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 08, 2005 19:49      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Will this work with an AirPort card?
Here's an even cheaper model.

WOW!! This one is even better, price wise!! Only $20.95 + s/h. It comes with a year of tech support and free Norton. I don't think it has WEP 'cause it mentions WAP. But for the price, is that such a bad thing?

--------------------

Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted August 08, 2005 21:46      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Rhon,

The amazon card will be fine, and you don't need to buy an antenna, as the Pismo has a built-in antenna that you connect up when you install the card. It's pretty easy, and explained in those directions I linked to.

Have faith, ... you won't regret going wireless, it is SWEET!

EDIT: Tut says that 20 buck Linksys will work, he's installed several and it will basically work out of the box.

Oh, if you have any questions, you can always try popping into #joyoftech on IRC, there's usually a geek or two around that will be more than happy to help you or answer a few questions. [Big Grin]

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 08, 2005 23:38      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for all of your help. I ordered the AirPort card and the Linksys BEFW11S4 Wireless-B Cable/DSL Router from Amazon.

OH!!! Stupid me. I should've ordered it through GC. Although, I did click on the link Snaggy posted and put my order in through there. I hope GC gets credit for my order, Snaggy!!!

I've been at work, so I haven't been on IRC, but when the time comes to install my hardware, I'm sure I'll get online somehow to ask my questions. Thanks for your help!!! [Big Grin]

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture