homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Guestbooks

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Guestbooks
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 02, 2005 19:53      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just discovered today that someone with an ISP located in Accra, Ghana, spent over an hour on my website, but I have no idea who they are or what they thought about it! Hence, I shall engage the services of a guestbook.

What guestbooks do y'all use for your Website? Have any of you created ones that work well? If you've seen my site, you know I'm not a Web designer nor a coder, so I'd like a fairly low-maintenance (yet classy-looking) guestbook. (I finally figured out today how to create my nav bar... now I just need to go home and do it.)

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3846 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 02, 2005 21:27      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Forgive the rudeness, but guestbooks are like, so 1999. [Wink]

(Most people these days are on the blog bandwagon.)

Also, if you do use one, find something that prevents "comment spam" (and I'm not talking about certain posts around these parts) - I'm talking about "Hello my friend, I am a rich African president, but please ignore the fact that I can't spell "president." Guestbooks and blogs are highly abused by scam artists and in general, scum, to increase search engine rankings.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9210 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 02, 2005 21:49      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Server logs are quite interesting, I was browsing around mine a while back, and discovered (among other things) where Dragonman works, the ISP Cap'n Vic uses to browse the interweb thinggy, and the browsing habits of several search engines.

I'm starting to understand why people use web anonymisers.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10460 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 02, 2005 21:53      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm... so maybe I'll just include mailto: links on all of my pages.

FWIW, having this journal is really good therapy for me. It's easily accessible and rather quick. I hated pen-and-paper diaries 'cause they took so long to write. Plus, I have friends spread out all over the place, so now I have a way of sharing the same story with everyone.

(BTW, colors have changed on my Xanga. It's not so girly anymore. 'Course, the mood of my last post changed drastically, too.... [ohwell] )

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3846 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 02, 2005 22:05      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TFD: I would agree...however unless I'm looking for something in particular, such as odd trends, I try my best to respect people's privacy. I think some people (and I don't mean you) need to really keep to the spirit of RFC 2616 Sec. 15.1.1.
quote:
15.1.1 Abuse of Server Log Information

A server is in the position to save personal data about a user's requests which might identify their reading patterns or subjects of interest. This information is clearly confidential in nature and its handling can be constrained by law in certain countries. People using the HTTP protocol to provide data are responsible for ensuring that such material is not distributed without the permission of any individuals that are identifiable by the published results.

Personally, my foe is HTTP Referer [sic]. I hate that damned thing. Thankfully, Chris Pederick's excellent Web Developer Toolbar has added a "Disable Referrer" feature - I'd previously been using Tabbed Browsing Extensions to do this, but it's gotten flaky. If I'm using a machine that doesn't have this, I always copy the URL to clipboard, and paste it in a new tab, or go to about:blank first, and then paste it. That thing will leak out far more information than some people may ever realize ("Referer" [sic], not the extensions).

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9210 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 02, 2005 22:26      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
Personally, my foe is HTTP Referer [sic]. I hate that damned thing.

Oddly enough, the referrer information seems to be a work of fiction at least some of the time.
The webalizer info I was looking at shows the referrer, and aside from the obvious (various places I'd planted links to entice the search engines, my mother-in-laws web site, the FBI most-wanted list) most of the rest looked entirely spurious. I think maybe one or more of the search engines deliberately insert random URLs in that field to confuse the log harvesters.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10460 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tom- geeking around

Member # 2876

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 03, 2005 03:01      Profile for Tom- geeking around   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I gotta be honest..

Whenever I visit a website that starts with "Hi, thanks for visiting......blablabla... please sign my guestbook"..- I try to sign the guestbook.. But I seldomly (but sometimes I do) sign it at all..
Well.. even though guestbooks are somewhat a "thing you need to have a complete website" (more or less), rarely visitors sign..

Thomas

--------------------
Everything I say espressis onley my own op1ni0n, and shall not reprisent the openion of othar Austrians.
Pizza and ginormous jugs is what I need!

Whoever finds typos or spelling mistakes in my posts may keep them.

Posts: 371 | From: Vienna | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 03, 2005 04:19      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Referer tags are useful when used properly.. like my webalizer analyzes your referrer string to see if you came from a search engine, and if you did, what query brought you to me...
Posts: 4894 | From: Kitchener, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
GameMaster
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 03, 2005 10:48      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The logs are quite intresting... What I like more is the numbers and when and why they change. My site swings quite a bit, without rhyme or reason. The other thing that gets me is some of the search strings that people look for, and find my site from.

The most common guestbooks these days seem to "shouts" or similar.

--------------------
My Site

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Yttriumflusen
Newbie Larva
Member # 4241

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted August 03, 2005 13:03      Profile for Yttriumflusen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nowadays when I'm seeing a guestbook I must confess I have a look at it and mostly just sign if there is some kind of dynamic, for example the owner comments on the comments or somesuch.
And I've seen pages where the guestbook turned into a kind of forum-substitution, where readers started to adress each other. Quite nice I think, but not every owner likes it.

But if it's just a thousand times the same "nice page" stuff I can't bring myself to sign it.

Posts: 6 | From: Germany | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
satyr
Geek-in-Training
Member # 4215

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted August 04, 2005 08:24      Profile for satyr   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:
What guestbooks do y'all use for your Website?

I use a free guestbook from Bravenet, which has also many other free services/features. If you want to, see here how it looks: http://pub40.bravenet.com/guestbook/3416426346

greetings, satyr

--------------------
Check out my personal computing-related website: http://tadej-ivan.50webs.com/ if you're interested in reading my articles, discoveries, hints, principles, rules and such.

Posts: 31 | From: Ljubljana, Slovenia, Europe | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2014 Geek Culture® All Rights Reserved.