homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Sony Vaio and iTunes - play nice together or ??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sony Vaio and iTunes - play nice together or ??
Tech Angel
Alpha Geek
Member # 908

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 19, 2005 00:20      Profile for Tech Angel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd like to know how well (or not) Sony Vaio laptops get along with iPods and iTunes. My son's college architecture program requires that he have a higher end PC laptop for school this next year, and (for reasons too lengthy to explain here), we've settled on a Sony Vaio FS series (with the 15.4" ultrabright widescreen).

I know from past experience that Sony tends to tweak operating systems which makes them a bit more "proprietary" than other vendors', and to make their own multimedia utilities the default over more mainstream equivalents...all of which can lead to problems and frustrations. My son, having been brought up properly [Wink] on a Mac, is no stranger to "living out of the mainstream" and knows that iTunes often wants to handle things its way and only its way.

So I'm wondering: do any of you out there know what happens when you place these two strong-willed technologies together? My son would rather avoid dealing with sundry niggling little conflict problems, especially since (unlike me) he only "tolerates" computers as a necessity but doesn't go ga-ga over them, and I would rather not make a $2000+ mistake that he may regret..

Thanks in advance for any insights as to what to expect.

~ TA

--------------------
We must be the change we want to see in the world. -Mahatma Ghandi

Posts: 330 | From: the Great State of Confusion | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
BronzeG3
Geek Apprentice
Member # 2590

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 19, 2005 01:00      Profile for BronzeG3   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you are worried that sony "corrupted" the OS with their tweaks, you can always get a retail version of XP and install that. I have a Dell, and instead of using the restore CD with all of Dell's bloat, I just use the WinXP cd my school gives me. iTunes runs fine, and my iPod works fine as well, except the four pin firewire connector can't charge it without a little hacking of other parts.

or you could always install linux [Wink]

Posts: 44 | From: VTech | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted July 19, 2005 05:53      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have an old sony Z505. I ended up doing a clean install of XP Pro and then installing all of the drivers and utilities after (because I didn't have the original cds still... wups!) and all is fine.
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 19, 2005 14:34      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have an older Sony Vaio tower running XP that runs iTunes like a dream. It works so much better for burning CDs and the interface seems more user-friendly. I don't know if that follows with the newer laptops or not.

Too bad your son can't have a Pismo. I'm really liking mine! [Big Grin]

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 20, 2005 07:54      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A friend of mine had an iPod, iTunes and a Sony Vaio laptop working together. I'm afraid I don't know which Vaio it was.

Anyway, it worked fine. CD-burning was a touch slow; it took a minute or so to recognise the drive. But it burned at normal speed.

HTH

Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture