homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Music

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Music
b-gurl
Mini Geek
Member # 4163

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 07, 2005 04:55      Profile for b-gurl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do all geeks listen to rock? Is there anyone here that actually listens to Hip-Hop?

--------------------
B-Gurl. xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Posts: 53 | From: uk | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 07, 2005 09:48      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No hip hop for me, thanks.

Unless it is some classic stuff. Old LL Cool J, Run DMC or somthing like that. Otherwise give me a bluegrass, ska, or noise art band any day.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted July 07, 2005 15:47      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MC Paul Barman for me, thanks.
Unclear_Physicist
Geek-in-Training
Member # 3784

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 07, 2005 16:20      Profile for Unclear_Physicist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I must admit that I am a fan of most genres of music, with the glaring exception being hip-hop. Undoubtedly, there are geeks who are fans of this style of music, as geeks in general have fairly diverse/esoteric tastes but most of the people I know, as a postgradaute, either like classical/jazz/blues/rock/metal.

Interestingly though, when I was doing my physics degree, everybody had varying tastes and quite a few were fans of hip-hop.

I suppose the more interesting question, if most geeks are into rock as opposed to hip-hop, is why does geek culture lean itself towards that genre?

--------------------
Le geek est chic

Posts: 36 | From: Guildford, Surrey | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted July 07, 2005 16:56      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hip-hop as in "yo nigga dog busta cap in yo ass bling bling f*ck shit piss" with a 3 second sample (think "wanksta" by that nickel/dime/quarter or whatnot) looping in the background? No thanks, I think I'd rather have large rusty nails hammered into my ears. Hip-hop was somewhat tolerable back in the days, but the current mainstream stuff is about as enjoyable as the sound of a jackhammer. All IMHO, of course...
Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 08, 2005 00:27      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is a sample of my tastes
"Bibo's Ever Changing Moods"
(I finally got around to creating an iMix)

Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 08, 2005 00:55      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, there's this really cool tracking geekculture group on audioscrobbler that tracks the music listening habits of a few of us that are signed up there. Quite varied, really.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jonathan
Geek
Member # 2724

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 08, 2005 08:39      Profile for Jonathan   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't really like Hip-Hop. I like Metal/rock/classic rock/ classical/ Death metal/ techno/ 60's surf music
Posts: 147 | From: Somewhere over the rainbow | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 08, 2005 11:32      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by csk:
Well, there's this really cool tracking geekculture group on audioscrobbler that tracks the music listening habits of a few of us that are signed up there. Quite varied, really.

Then why haven't you signed up? [Razz]
Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted July 08, 2005 11:56      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He does't want anyone to know that he is the president of the Hall and Oats fan club.

-

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
skylar
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 08, 2005 12:27      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, man, don't diss Hall and Oates. That song, "You Make My Dreams Come True"... classic... *nods wisely* [Razz]

When it comes to hip-hop, I will admit that there is some that I do like. My brother is an afficionado, and he got me hooked on OutKast and better rappers like Jay-Z (when he hasn't got his head jammed up his ass) and Kanye West. It can be good to dance to, and some of it is fascinating, catchy, and altogether damn good. Still not as good as wailing singer/songwritery stuff, but hey. [Razz]

--------------------
"arm, aber geeky"

Posts: 1994 | From: Deutschland | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 08, 2005 12:42      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GMx:
quote:

Then why haven't you signed up? [Razz]
Umm, you know that user called "pelennor", well, that's me [Wink]

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted July 08, 2005 13:27      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Erm....Amy Grant?

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
hey-U
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2128

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 08, 2005 14:08      Profile for hey-U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.audioscrobbler.com/group/geekculture

http://www.audioscrobbler.com/user/hey-U/

Hip-hop just doesn't do it for me, sorry.
I don't listen to only rock music.
But what I want to know is, which GC-er listens to Andrew Lloyd Webber? ;-)

Posts: 1263 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 08, 2005 14:37      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rhonwynn listens to Andrew Lloyd Webber.
GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 08, 2005 14:40      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Umm, you know that user called "pelennor", well, that's me [Wink]

I forgot about the other identities of the collective.
[Wink]

csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 08, 2005 22:44      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cap'n Vic:
Erm....Amy Grant?

What can I say, I have diverse musical tastes [Wink]

I've focussed more on metal lately, though.

I also occasionally listen to Andrew Lloyd Webber stuff (Phantom particularly), so that could be factoring into the results.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture