homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » startup server logins

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: startup server logins
Boll Weevil
Geek Apprentice
Member # 1624

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted July 05, 2005 11:21      Profile for Boll Weevil   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a G4 running 10.4.1 on my network that upon login keeps looking for a server that is no longer online. I have checked Startup items in Library, and Login items under system preferences/accounts and both are empty. How do I turn this off?

Happiness is a low ET! Music is the BEST!(FZ)

Posts: 42 | From: Atlanta, GA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 05, 2005 11:45      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I might be totally off, but have you checked the internet and mail settings? Or shared drives and folders?

Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Uber Geek
Member # 1106

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 05, 2005 19:25      Profile for sosumi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't have Tiger, but it may have something to do with AppleTalk settings, check there.

Try posting your question here - Macworld

I'm sure you'll get an answer there quickly. You'll need to register, but it's a very helpful place.

Posts: 845 | From: Boston | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted July 05, 2005 19:52      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had the same problem when I first upgrade to Tiger, turned out to be third party problem, more details here.

although recently I'm getting the same error on my Pismo whenever I start Classic away from my local network. I think there's a server alias somewhere. causing the trouble. [ohwell]

Posts: 8117 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 06, 2005 02:27      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

I had a similar problem when I upped to 10.4.1 especially with Classic trying to connect to something (unknown) that wasn't there.

Do you have Classic booting on login?
Tiger handles AFP differently than previous systems (i.e. it isn't truly AppleTalk compatible anymore) and this can cause problems if you have stuff referring to OS 9 based clients or no longer extant disks/servers/etc.

I cured it by dumping all the non essential Classic preferences (bit of a pain but I didn't have time to chore through looking for whatever was causing the problem) and seaching out a load of old aliases that 10.3 apparently ignored or understood were "not there" where 10.4 just went "searching for AFP server"

The Classic Apple Menu Items seemed to be a big offender (or rather the way Tiger now handles this on Classic startup.

Also check your favourites and recent folders/servers lists to make sure there is nothing in there either.

Basically Apple appear to be dropping the level of support that Classic and pre OS X get from the OS - no doubt the first step towards total phaseout in 10.5 or 10.6....

"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture