homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » copying from your iPOD to computer

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: copying from your iPOD to computer
wolfmanHOWL
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 4136

Icon 3 posted June 23, 2005 12:38      Profile for wolfmanHOWL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi, i know there are programs out there that allow you to copy music from your iPOD to your computer.unfortunately, a lot of them are only for a limited trial. I was wondering if anyone knew a good program to use that is also free??? Thanks!!
littlefish
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 23, 2005 14:13      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You don't need programs beyond what ships with your OS. If you use mac, then use the terminal to access hidden folders, and if you use windows, then you can access things through the gui if you show hidden folders.

Visit www.ipodlounge.com to find out more.

Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
i_need_a_pillow
Geek
Member # 2765

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted June 23, 2005 14:31      Profile for i_need_a_pillow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you're running Winamp 5, you could always get the ml_ipod extension for it. It lets you use Winamp to copy songs both to and from your iPod.

--------------------
The Guide is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate.

Posts: 104 | From: I'm here. Where else? | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 23, 2005 15:17      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think either of the solutions mentioned above will remove the DRM, which seems to be the point of the original question.

As The Owners Of All Music have yet to grant permission, we aussies still don't have iTMS access, so I have no experience with Apples DRM or how to defeat it. Sorry.

Posts: 10669 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 23, 2005 22:10      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
I don't think either of the solutions mentioned above will remove the DRM, which seems to be the point of the original question.

As The Owners Of All Music have yet to grant permission, we aussies still don't have iTMS access, so I have no experience with Apples DRM or how to defeat it. Sorry.

To remove the DRM you need to burn the purchased tracks to an Audio CD and rip them back into iTunes. Just be sure to re-rip them at the same bit rate. I've done this with some of the songs my wife purchased so I could put them on my iPod.

However it sounds like wolfmanHOWL may have music loaded on his iPod that he wants to put on someone else's computer. Why else would you need to copy from an iPod to a computer? Ok I can think of one reason, a few years back I accidently deleted 40 gigs worth of music I had ripped from my CDs. A freeware program allowed me to recover 5 gigs worth of it off my iPod and save me the hassle of re-ripping those CDs.

sidenote for Aussies to bitch at Apple, spellcheck offers "pussies" & "hussies" as a correction for "Aussies" [Razz]

Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Alan!
Geek
Member # 1261

Icon 1 posted June 24, 2005 00:01      Profile for Alan!     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oh, jeez, i can't think of a single thing to ridicule americans about [Wink]

--------------------
Alan!

Two rabbis, a priest, and an awkward silence after there's no intelligible punch line to this joke, walk into a bar.

Posts: 219 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 24, 2005 05:28      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use podUtils. It does not remove drm. I second Bibo's thought. I deleted a few things from my library, and brought them back in from the iPod. This way each is a backup for the other.
Posts: 2901 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
Super Flippy

SuperFan!
Member # 1101

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 24, 2005 12:32      Profile for Super Flippy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, this is very timely! I was just wondering if there was a way to get some of the music off my iPod. (Most of it is backed up on my computer, but a few things aren't.) It looks like there are a few pieces of software on iPodLounge that can help.
Posts: 337 | From: South Carolina | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture